Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.116.183
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

New 1 Gbit/s servers available (CA)

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that two new 1 Gbit/s server located in Canada are available: Alhena and Tegmen.

The AirVPN client will show automatically the new servers, while if you use the OpenVPN client you can generate all the files to access them through our configuration/certificates/key generator (menu "Client Area"->"Config generator").

The servers accept connections on ports 53, 80, 443, 2018 UDP and TCP.

Just like every other Air server, Alhena and Tegmen support OpenVPN over SSL and OpenVPN over SSH.

As usual no traffic limits, no logs, no discrimination on protocols and hardened security against various attacks with separate entry and exit-IP addresses.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any information or issue.

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Team

Thanks for the new servers, Staff.

Please note that Tegmen's entry and exit IPs are geolocated to Seychelles (SC) in Maxmind and other databases.

Which might be a great addition for people that like to exit from "exotic" locations. That's awesome.

//P.S.

In fact, this leads me to a new suggestion, for example on ipleak.net.

Just like with Nihal, which still geolocates to Portugal everywhere (Since Bitcanal is a Portugese DC),

why won't you add an additional menu where the user will be able to see what country other services like

Maxmind, Google (which includes also Youtube and others) geolocate the IP to?

There are APIs to do that, for example for Google:

http://lab.abhinayrathore.com/ipmapper/

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thanks for the new servers, Staff.

Please note that Tegmen's entry and exit IPs are geolocated to Seychelles (SC) in Maxmind and other databases.

Which might be a great addition for people that like to exit from "exotic" locations. That's awesome.

//P.S.

In fact, this leads me to a new suggestion, for example on ipleak.net.

Just like with Nihal, which still geolocates to Portugal everywhere (Since Bitcanal is a Portugese DC),

why won't you add an additional menu where the user will be able to see what country other services like

Maxmind, Google (which includes also Youtube and others) geolocate the IP to?

There are APIs to do that, for example for Google:

http://lab.abhinayrathore.com/ipmapper/

I think we have to be carefull about Privacy,if you want to use google.As an alternative,something opensource.

Gr,

Hello!

If in a VPN service you read "we have a server in country X", you expect:
- that the server is physically located in country X
or
- that it can be located anywhere in the world, the important thing is that its IP address is located in country X by some database

Nihal is in Madrid, Spain.

In this specific case, it's also correctly located in Spain, since a year ago:

https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/lookup.html?source=ripe&key=46.182.35.0%20-%2046.182.35.255&type=inetnum

so there is absolutely no justification for wrong databases in this case. This is just another proof that a 100% reliable geo-location based on IP addresses is a myth.

We comply to the first expectation: Nihal is in Spain, we report it as in Spain.

Now consider this:
fr1-ovpn.purevpn.net

resolves into

GHOSTnet GmbH, that has servers only in Germany.

Search in PureVPN http://www.purevpn.com/server_location.php for France.
They list it under 'France' country.
But, at least, they report this kind of server as "Virtual (Via Europe)".

However, a lot of our competitors claim to cover hundreds of countries, when actually their servers are outside those countries and they have only re-located the IP address.

We think this is not a honest behavior and that it is a disrespectful approach to customers.

A honest VPN reviews website must ascertain and declare whether the provider lies about the alleged countries, or at least specify if the servers are really in the alleged countries or not.

Kind regards

Yes you are perfectly right, I didn't mean to put bogus server locations with existing or new GeoIP country field trick,

such as practiced by many other providers, like the one from your example, or like in this range:

46.36.200.0/24, where every single IP will geolocate to another different country.

But what I meant is that some users choose the server according to the service they need to unblock, and in this case

the physical location might be less relevant, since those services rely on the (sometimes inaccurate) GeoIP data.

I assume this is why the new Spain server already got more popularity than Nihal.

This case is actually the same as happened before in another provider, they also got the AfriNIC 137.xx IPs from Amanah a few months ago:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/4485/toronto-canada-server-routing-me-to-madagascar-with-painfully-slow-speeds

Your transparency and honesty is great, that's why I suggested to show what existing GeoIP databases place the existing AirVPN exit IPs in a more

convenient way for average users, for example on ipleak.

Maybe in the future it can even save common topics like "I connected to country XXX, why on service YYY it appears like I am from another country"...

Regards

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I like the standpoint that airVPN got on this, but it gave me a thought, maybe a long shot at that but well you can hear me out. If you can just relocate the IP but the server stays put, you could put a Czech server with 1000Mbit with an IP for russia, it's not 100% russia it's close enough(ofc state on the site that the server is geolocated) then those that wanted a russian server with airVPN can sorta get that. But I'm not entirely certain if it's because people want a server closer to them or just the IP location