Not connected, Your IP: 52.14.168.56

Eddie client doesnt work on ubuntu 15.04. Have to use network manager and connect without the client. VPNuserhello's comment works on ubuntu 15.04 (Ubuntu Network Manager setup instructions.) His comment is for 14.04. But it works for 15.04 as well... Ran DNS leak test and none were found.

I just grabbed the 15.05 ISO and ran it to test for you. I'm assuming you installed Eddie using the .deb file as the portables work fine. You didn't actually help much in your description, as 'doesn't work' doesn't really help describe the issues or help the devs troubleshoot it. In future I would suggest (for your own sake) that you list the issue explicitly, and if possible include steps to reproduce it. A list of your installed OS, kernel, and the software verions (is it Eddie 2.8, 2.9 experimental, DEB installed or portable, x86 or x64 etc) would also greatly assist anyone trying to help you.

Regardless, I installed Eddie 2.9 experimental from the x86_64 deb. After logging in and setting my options as I required, I found that on right clicking a server in the server list, the 'connect now' option was greyed out. Is this the problem to which you referred? If so it's a simple fix. In this case Eddie is being installed but under Unity it isn't being listed to run as root/sudo/superuser. This is the reason Eddie isn't able to access the system openvpn libraries to launch a connection. Steps to resolve:

1) sudo apt-get install alacarte

2) Open the main menu (or type ALT+F2 to get a run dialogue) and type 'alacarte' or 'main menu' to find the right launcher for the alacarte program

3) In the menu editor which opens, go to Internet and you'll see the AirVPN icon in the list on the right.

4) Right click AirVPN and in the command box add the word 'gksu' to the front of the other stuff, and a space. It should then read 'gksu /usr/bin/Airvpn'

Screenshotfrom2015-04-24153758.png

Click OK, and then Close and next time you open AirVPN it will prompt for your password and you'll be able to connect. I'm sure the devs will address this minor issue in the next release. Enjoy.

Hello!

@DarkRaven

Please provide to us more details, like @rainmakerraw explains.[EDIT: IGNORE, we see you provided details on the current ticket we are investigating]

@rainmakerraw

/usr/bin/airvpn is a simple bash script that launches Eddie.

When launched, Eddie automatically detects if it needs to re-run itself with gksu/kdesu/etc.

Eddie NEVER arrives to show the main window if it doesn't have the privileges to run openvpn.

"Connect now" context menu is grayed only if nothing is selected, it's not related to privileges.

Kind regards

Hello!

@DarkRaven

Please provide to us more details, like @rainmakerraw explains.

@rainmakerraw

/usr/bin/airvpn is a simple bash script that launches Eddie.

When launched, Eddie automatically detects if it needs to re-run itself with gksu/kdesu/etc.

Eddie NEVER arrives to show the main window if it doesn't have the privileges to run openvpn.

"Connect now" context menu is grayed only if nothing is selected, it's not related to privileges.

Kind regards

I can only suggest you run an Ubuntu 15.04 VM and test for yourselves in that case. As I described above, no server was available to connect until the launcher was amended to include 'gksu'. Without adding gksu the option to connect is greyed out for all servers even when selected. I also encountered this on Fedora 21 x64 and had to add 'beesu' to the launcher command. The fact both the OP and I can reproduce this behaviour on default installations suggests perhaps something is amiss.

@rainmakerraw

DarkRaven's problem was completely different, it had nothing to do with grayed out servers (it was related to the DNS push) and anyway it has been solved with Eddie 2.9.x. We know from a ticket, you could not know that.

The problem you experience with Ubuntu 15.04 is not reproducible at the moment by us, we need to try again, is it with Eddie 2.8.8, 2.9 or both?

Kind regards

Hello!

We installed a fresh Ubuntu 15.04, and installed Eddie 2.8.8 .deb edition.

Unity -> AirVPN icon, on click it shows:

b72b814309f1be06884612022e80c60b224f771b

Eddie automatically detects privileges and relaunches itself, with gksu. Automatically.

As a discerning proof, we ran airvpn from terminal.

We see logs in terminal that Eddie automatically restarts itself:

96de93e6387908f28f88b1c09041783a8b32de6a

Eddie main window never shows up if Eddie doesn't have the root privileges.

Two separate issues in this topic: Ubuntu 15.04 DNS issue and your 'gksu/beesu' issue.

Please continue here about the gksu/beesu issue, and in this topic:

https://airvpn.org/topic/14141-ubuntu-1504-potential-issue

for the Ubuntu 15.04 DNS issue.

Kind regards

@Staff

I can no longer reproduce the issue I listed above, after Ubuntu released base updates for 15.04. I do encounter the DNS issue in 2.9 you refer, but it's easily fixed by disabling DNS checking in Eddie's settings. Thanks.

@Staff

I can no longer reproduce the issue I listed above, after Ubuntu released base updates for 15.04. I do encounter the DNS issue in 2.9 you refer, but it's easily fixed by disabling DNS checking in Eddie's settings. Thanks. :)

Hello,

hey watch out, this is a kind of "false solution", because in this way you will not use VPN DNS. See https://airvpn.org/topic/14141-ubuntu-1504-potential-issue for an effective solution.

Kind regards

@Staff thanks guys I didn't know that. I use my own DNS outside the VPN anyway so it's not a big issue for me, I was only testing inside a live USB anyway. I'll visit the thread you link and provide details you requested. Thanks.