Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.35.77
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JWW

Network Lock turns Windows Network Discovery off

Guest JWW

Sorry if it's a daft question but can you tell me why Network Lock turns Windows Network Discovery off? I've noticed that access to folders on my NAS has slowed down considerably and subsequently that Network Lock turns Network Discovery off when it's activated. Deactivating Network Lock returns things to normal. I can see that the firewall rules instigated by Network Lock allow local traffic but clearly it's still having a detrimental effect on performance. Can this be addressed in some way?

Hello!

First of all it must be said that Windows Firewall blocks Network Discovery by default, so the Network Lock plugin for Windows is coherent with this (in our opinion) wise setting.

Network Discovery may potentially allow leaks by sending some information in cleartext to the nearest gateway (obviously out of the tunnel) so it does not appear very compatible with a true "Network Lock", in particular when your system is connected to a public hot-spot. Additionally, in the past Microsoft had to fix important vulnerabilities related to ND so it might be safer to rely on it only when security is not required at all.

Kind regards

Guest JWW

Hello!

First of all it must be said that Windows Firewall blocks Network Discovery by default, so the Network Lock plugin for Windows is coherent with this (in our opinion) wise setting.

Network Discovery may potentially allow leaks by sending some information in cleartext to the nearest gateway (obviously out of the tunnel) so it does not appear very compatible with a true "Network Lock", in particular when your system is connected to a public hot-spot. Additionally, in the past Microsoft had to fix important vulnerabilities related to ND so it might be safer to rely on it only when security is not required at all.

Kind regards

Windows Firewall only turns off Network Discovery on a Public connection by default, not for a 'Home / Work' connection. This is not a mobile computer - it is a desktop which is part of a home network connected to a router with it's own firewall and thus is not connected to anything other than my own broadband service. So, for me, Network Discovery is essential.

If Network Lock is going to be coherent with Windows settings it should only be turning off Network Discovery on the Public connection which is, of course, the TAP Windows adapter.

(There seems to be some confusion between the Private and Public firewalls / network settings. At the moment I have an open support case, also for Network Lock, where you stated that Network Lock turns off firewall notifications. It does, but only for the Private (Home / Work) firewall, not for the Public firewall.)

Hello!

Kind regards

Windows Firewall only turns off Network Discovery on a Public connection by default, not for a 'Home / Work' connection. This is not a mobile computer - it is a desktop which is part of a home network connected to a router with it's own firewall and thus is not connected to anything other than my own broadband service. So, for me, Network Discovery is essential.

Hello!

This is not what Microsoft says. Microsoft says that " Windows Firewall blocks Network Discovery by default", period.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

If Network Lock is going to be coherent with Windows settings it should only be turning off Network Discovery on the Public connection which is, of course, the TAP Windows adapter.

(There seems to be some confusion between the Private and Public firewalls / network settings. At the moment I have an open support case, also for Network Lock, where you stated that Network Lock turns off firewall notifications. It does, but only for the Private (Home / Work) firewall, not for the Public firewall.)

We remember that, but so far we have been unable to reproduce the issue on any of our Windows testing machine and at this moment we can't confirm the problem. Additional investigation will be necessary.

Kind regards

Guest JWW

It's not quite as simple as that as this article seems to explain and reflects what I'm seeing. I'm reading this in detail right now and would recommend you do the same.

An excerpt:

Selecting work network will turn on network discovery similar to the home network option so you will be seen on the network, though you will not be able to create or join a HomeGroup. If work network is selected and you join your computer to a domain network the Windows 7 firewall will automatically recognize and switch over to the domain network option.

Choosing Public network is perfect for when you connect a laptop to a public Wi-Fi network such as at a coffee shop, hotel or airport, or anytime you use a mobile broadband card to connect to the Internet. Public network is the most secure option and by default network discovery is turned off so other computers on the network will not be able to see you. You cannot join a HomeGroup either when you select the public network option.