Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.66.178
Staff

OpenNIC and Namecoin DNS support implemented

Hello!

We're very glad to announce that our DNS now supports specific OpenNIC and Namecoin names resolutions.

You just need to use our VPN DNS 10.4.0.1 and you'll be able to resolve every name available (registered) in OpenNIC and Namecoin.

Kind regards & datalove

AirVPN Staff

Hi. Do your DNS still supports specific OpenNIC and Namecoin names resolutions? I can't reach any website on a bit domain. Using exactly 10.4.0.1 VPN DNS.

Hello!

We're very glad to announce that our DNS now supports specific OpenNIC and Namecoin names resolutions.

You just need to use our VPN DNS 10.4.0.1 and you'll be able to resolve every name available (registered) in OpenNIC and Namecoin.

Kind regards & datalove

AirVPN Staff

This is a great feature to have on AirVPN, thanks!

Edit: I am unable to resolve any of the OpenNIC TLDs.

I don't know how OpenNIC or Namecoin work, but doesn't this make it easier to profile AirVPN users? It's possible for a website to check if the browser can load content from specific domain (e.g. by trying to load an image or script from that domain). A website could check for "doesitwork.bit" and if that resolves then they know the user supports OpenNIC/Namecoin and that is another few bits they can use to profile a user.

It would be nice to be able to disable this while still using AirVPN's DNS (e.g. by offering a 10.4.0.X DNS server that has this disabled). If AirVPN doesn't have an option to disable support for this, maybe there is a way to block lookups for these domains locally? It looks like dnsmasq might support this using something like:

--server=/.bit/.bbs/.dyn/.fur/0.0.0.0

which will tell it to use 0.0.0.0 as the DNS server for those domains, which will cause them to fail. I didn't try this yet, and it's not a great solution since the list of domains is long and changes over time.

I don't know how OpenNIC or Namecoin work, but doesn't this make it easier to profile AirVPN users?

Irrelevant. That test would include anybody using OpenNIC DNS etc. Harvesting all exit-IP addresses of AirVPN servers is a much faster and reliable way to discover whether someone is behind an AirVPN server.

Kind regards

Hi,

So just type the 10.4.0.1 into the input box under preferences/advanced/dns in the airvpn client??

Regards.

Hi,

So just type the 10.4.0.1 into the input box under preferences/advanced/dns in the airvpn client??

Regards.

in Eddie DNS switching should be automatic to 10.4.0.1

Hi,

Regards.

I found the .bit links only work when I follow the directions of Chrisb. Shown above