Not connected, Your IP: 18.219.45.185
Sign in to follow this  
retiredpilot

Whonix over AIR backwards discriminable?

Staff or others,

I may have worded my thread title poorly.  I am experimenting with Whonix usage via VirtualBox and the dual VM approach they use.  For the purposes of this thread I am not looking to discuss the TOR stuff or anything on the outbound side of an Air server unless its fully relevant to the question being asked.

I have a machine using a 7 Pro host and its about as locked down as possible to Air servers.  All the firewall structure, various rules, etc.. have been tweaked as well as I can and I never see any leaks or issues.

Assuming I have configured the host properly I want to try and virtually assure that any Whonix usage is not backwards DISCRIMINABLE (from any Air server to my ISP).

Staff wrote this elsewhere here:

It would be GREAT if it was true, but it isn't. OpenVPN traffic to port 443 TCP is profoundly different from "standard http over SSL" traffic. One of the differences is that OpenVPN performs a packet wrapping with some important additional data (for packets re-ordering etc.) which makes the OpenVPN traffic discriminable from https or pure SSL/TLS through Stateful or Deep Packet Inspection. That's why it's possible to easily discern the typical OpenVPN traffic "fingerprint" and block it, like they do in China, and that's why we offer OpenVPN over SSL. We wish to underline that, because otherwise you could think that we're "stupid" to provide OpenVPN over SSL or SSH with the purpose to bypass OpenVPN disruptions in China and Iran.

Question:  I am not concerned that my ISP sees a VPN, only IF Whonix is discriminable.  What if anything on my end can be done to prevent backwards discrimination of Whonix?  I think I am probably OK but wanted to check for my sake and for other members who may read this.

Hello!

We confirm you that your ISP can't discern the type of virtualized OS (Whonix or any other) you're running with your setup.

Kind regards