Not connected, Your IP: 18.208.203.36
Staff

New 100 Mbit/s server available: Izar (IN) - EXPERIMENTAL

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new 100 Mbit/s server located in India is available: Izar.

The AirVPN client will show automatically the new server, while if you use the OpenVPN client you can generate all the files to access it through our configuration/certificates/key generator (menu "Client Area"->"Config generator").

The server accepts connections on ports 53, 80, 443, 2018 UDP and TCP.

Just like every other Air server, Izar supports OpenVPN over SSL and OpenVPN over SSH.

As usual no traffic limits, no logs, no discrimination on protocols and hardened security against various attacks with separate entry and exit-IP addresses.

Please note that the datacenter housing this server has one of the best alleged peering in India. However, during our tests the server seemed intermittently unable to meet AirVPN quality requirements on bandwidth. We have decided to make it available because we have been unable to find any better data center in India and because this server could be useful anyway for our customers from India and nearby countries. Should the server network be unable to meet the quality standards AirVPN customers are used to, we are ready to withdraw Izar. Therefore, please do not hesitate to send us your feedback.

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Team

Please note that the datacenter housing this server has one of the best alleged peering in India. However, during our tests the server seemed intermittently unable to meet AirVPN quality requirements on bandwidth. We have decided to make it available because we have been unable to find any better data center in India and because this server could be useful anyway for our customers from India and nearby countries. Should the server network be unable to meet the quality standards AirVPN customers are used to, we are ready to withdraw Izar. Therefore, please do not hesitate to send us your feedback.

AirVPN Team

What about the U.A.E.? Would they have the infrastructure to serve nearby countries (including India)?

I noticed the latency time for this server on the Status page is null.

Thank you for your service.

Is it safe to place a vpn server in India? Surveillance seems to be unlimited there by anything.

Read: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/07/nsa-leaks-prompt-surveillance-dialogue-india

Regulatory privacy protections in India are weak: Telecom companies are required by license to provide data to the government, and the use of encryption is extremely limited. As we have previously explained, India service providers are required to ensure that bulk encryption is not deployed. Additionally, no individual or entity can employ encryption with a key longer than 40 bits. If the encryption surpasses this limit, the individual or entity will need prior written permission from the Department of Telecommunications and must deposit the decryption keys with the Department. The limitation on encryption in India means that technically any encrypted material over 40 bits would be accessible by the State.

AirVPN Team

Is the high packet loss I've been seeing on the status page for this server what you experienced prior to making it available? It's nice that you decided to make it available and give them (one of the better data centers in India) a try. It's great to provide a server for users in nearby countries. Even though I do not use it, I am sad to see it having issues and hope they can be resolved. I saw some specs of lines in the area and it appears Israel and the U.A.E. have pretty good bandwidth (not that the data centers would meet AirVPN quality requirements).  Hopefully you'll be able to find a reliable alternative in that part of the world.

Is it safe to place a vpn server in India? Surveillance seems to be unlimited there by anything.

Read: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/07/nsa-leaks-prompt-surveillance-dialogue-india

Regulatory privacy protections in India are weak: Telecom companies are required by license to provide data to the government, and the use of encryption is extremely limited. As we have previously explained, India service providers are required to ensure that bulk encryption is not deployed. Additionally, no individual or entity can employ encryption with a key longer than 40 bits. If the encryption surpasses this limit, the individual or entity will need prior written permission from the Department of Telecommunications and must deposit the decryption keys with the Department. The limitation on encryption in India means that technically any encrypted material over 40 bits would be accessible by the State.

That sux. I remember The U.S. didn't allow Microsoft (or anybody) to export an OS with more the 40 bit encryption. Can't remember when that changed, maybe around 2000-01? UAE Internet Exchange seems to be coming along pretty well http://www.uae-ix.net/about-uae-ix/quick-facts/

Not sure about their survailance practices though. The Israeli Internet Exchange has some good numbers (for that area of the world) but I'd imagine they are checking out every packet on Petah Tikva. I have a few friends that do business for institutions in both places and they really liked Dubai and their (the UAE) willingness to spend money on infrastructure. One of them seems to have trouble most of the times he enters Israel and they're not accustomed to so many people being armed or having guns and amo in the trunks of their cars (in Israel).

Please never consider the UAE or any Middle Eastern state with internet censorship. I have lived in the UAE and the country even tried to ban Blackberry once.

It is even a crime to use VOIP. 

Oh well, so much for the Near East (aka. Middle East).

I take it you have more of a sense of security (privacy) when connecting to/from the U.S, U.K or Canada?

It seems to me that the U.S. doesn't ban devices (Blackberry, IOS, Androids), they simply cracked them.

I believe it would be naive to have a sense of security with- a cipher AES-256-CBC,

LS re-keying (Diffie-Hellman) by default performed at each new connection AND every 60 minutes by default, etc.

I would imagine they simply go after the weakest points (client and/or server), not the tunnel itself.

I wouldn't imagine the UAE is not as capable. I am not familiar with there privacy laws.

Not saying they are good or better by any means. However it appears that India also has a Lawful Intercept and Monitoring system. Who the heck outside the EU doesn't? OK, maybe that's a bit extreme, I'd imagine the Swiss value their privacy and other governments do as well.

Again, I am not saying it's good by any means. I'm not really as concerned as other users within this Forum. However, I am curious :-) and I have friends that live in IR so I like to help them out with Tor or trying other alternatives.

Whatever the issues are in that part of the world, it is nice that AirVPN is trying to provide a service for them.

For what it's worth, I would have more of a sense of security/privacy connecting to/from the U.S. than I would U.A.E. or India ;-)

Dear Staff,

Any plans to rethink about having a server in India which meets all the Airvpns requirements? Having an Indian server will be  of great help. Please consider.