97 replies to this topic

#21 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Have you guys tried your downloads after 12pm say 12:20pm Midnight ?

I heard on another forums Virgin uncap and take off the throttle after midnight always...

If your getting 56 meg on speed test then 8-12meg seconds after it may be worth trying to download a large file and see what the real time transfer speed is also run this test with out Air and then with just to see...

I always hear complaints on virgin customers I think from UK about them being throttled during the day and even evening... but after 12pm midnight all seems fine and not much complaints once people get what they pay for. I did hear once if you attempt to download to much during the day you get throtteled right till 12pm Midnight also...

#22 Jumping

Jumping

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

There definitely seems to be something limiting the speeds on the virgin network, never managed to get over 20mbit on download on any speed test usually it seems to be stuck at around 10mbit for both download/upload which is ok for my upload as I only have 12mbit to start with but my download speed is 120mbit.

I have tried all of the UK servers and its consistent tried one of the NL and similar speed but much lower latancy which was expected. I tried using all of the different port options to the same server and its more or less the same regardless if I use UDP or TCP on all the different port option available when using the Windows client.

I first configured my router to be the vpn client Asus rt-n66u (merlin wrt) and had the same speed thought the router couldn't handle it which is why i tested with the client.

So im interested to hear what other Virgin users done to get more than what seems to be a 10mbit cap, if any one managed to do that? If this is due to Virgin having some stupid restriction on OpenVPN traffic I don't think I can actually sign up for a permanent account as losing over 100mbit in download speed is just a bit to much to take and I might have to try another vpn provider that have different protocol optiosn to see if it makes any difference. Or if Openreach could just get my local fttc cab fixed I could jump to that and I bet Airvpn will work fine on that.

On a positive note it was easy to setup and even managed to ger portforwarding working unfortunately the dnat scrip doesn't seem to run automatically but thats not Airvpn's fault.

#23 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

thanks for update jumping seems you have tried the few work arounds and different servers and still no joy, have you tried the connection @ 1am to see if its not virgin throttling or restricting your access?

on page 1 nickspam I think he is on virgin and he showed he had no issues here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9941-virgin-media-openvpn-fail/#entry12288

So it is quite strange many Air customers with one particular ISP get such low speeds, have you tried dare I suggest it another test or trial from another vpn or after 1am ?

#24 Jumping

Jumping

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Not sure if I remembered to test after 1am but I know I was up pretty late on Saturday and did check later in the evening if the speed would change and it was still the same.

Unfortunately my trial has run out but still interested to see if other Virgin people have found the same and if they have any recommendations to use. I don't expect to get 120mbit dl when using the VPN but losing 100mbit thats just too much to take.

I wonder if Virgin have left some weird OpenVPN traffic shaping on as they not suppose to do that and if other people have the same issues it might be something we need to report to Virgin and possibly if it is a widespread issue to the media see if that can get them to sort it out. I mean it could just be me that was doing something wrong but really there isn't much you can configure in the client so can't see that is the case.

#25 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well your not alone as the past 2 pages have said only 1 guy seems to have it working but it really is a mystery !

Something nickspam may wish to further comment or answer?

I wonder if it might be down to the router that Virgin provide ? perhaps different versions exist for various customers otherwise it still makes no sense but since so many have the same issue it can't be wrong.

As one person suggested he seemed to be fine on virgin till the upgrade to faster speeds, downgrading did not help so perhaps virgin do impose some restrictions to the line in general which we are not aware off course this does not explain why as topic starter said another vpn provider gets full speeds either.

#26 Jumping

Jumping

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

The router that Virgin provides is pretty poor I have the Superhub1 but I have put it in modem mode and I'm using an Asus rt-n66u to do the actual routing.

It is a bit weird and I think the only way to find out whats going on is to try out some other VPN providers preferably one that allows different protocols so I can if the problem lies with OpenVPN being on some weird traffic shaping from Virgin or if its something else.

#27 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

I have a Virgin 30MB connection and find that if I log on to Open/Air VPN through a German or Dutch server using port 443 UDP then I suffer no loss of speed and I get my full 30MB's.

If I use 443 TCP I can expect to lose about 33%-50% of my 30MB's and my download speed will be about 15-20MB's.

When using American servers you can add up to another 50% loss of speed so getting anything over 12-15MB from an American server is good,I find the servers in Virginia to provide the best performance.

Other server locations including European ones are all very much hit and miss and on a day to day basis and a connection that gives 20MB's on one day may only return 2-3MB's the next.

I find you have to sniff about a bit for the best server on any given day if you like to swop your connection location around but if you are only using light traffic it's no problem to connect to  a lower speed server anyway.
If you are expecting to be streaming video or downloading larger file sizes you can pretty much guarantee good speeds from the main European server locations,at least up to 30MB's anyway.

I am expecting an upgrade to 50MB's soon though so hopefully that will not impinge on the quality of service I have received so far.

#28 urbanconcrete

urbanconcrete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

If you want to test your speed, you could try http://www.neubot.org/download . You could stay connected to AirVPN for a day (or more) and look up the log to see if there is a change in down- or upload speed.

The program is testing frequently different protocols like bittorrentrawspeedtest and dashtest.

#29 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

thx will bookmark that looks handy

#30 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

I have a Virgin 30MB connection and find that if I log on to Open/Air VPN through a German or Dutch server using port 443 UDP then I suffer no loss of speed and I get my full 30MB's.

If I use 443 TCP I can expect to lose about 33%-50% of my 30MB's and my download speed will be about 15-20MB's.

When using American servers you can add up to another 50% loss of speed so getting anything over 12-15MB from an American server is good,I find the servers in Virginia to provide the best performance.

Other server locations including European ones are all very much hit and miss and on a day to day basis and a connection that gives 20MB's on one day may only return 2-3MB's the next.

I find you have to sniff about a bit for the best server on any given day if you like to swop your connection location around but if you are only using light traffic it's no problem to connect to  a lower speed server anyway.
If you are expecting to be streaming video or downloading larger file sizes you can pretty much guarantee good speeds from the main European server locations,at least up to 30MB's anyway.

I am expecting an upgrade to 50MB's soon though so hopefully that will not impinge on the quality of service I have received so far.

thanks much appreciated you may have got some work arounds going !

can I ask do you get consistant and reliable speeds on that german server on a day to day basis though ?

would be great to hear back if you get consistant speeds with your 50meg upgrade.

#31 dIecbasC

dIecbasC

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:12 AM

hey guys, Ive just landed here and noticed this thread, Im on virgins 100mbit service and receive 120mbps without VPN, with Airvpn enabled I am seeing 100mbit+ speeds even during traffic shaping hours. Im currently putting together some info which I'll loop back round with once its complete. 

#32 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi refresh,

yes mate,I always get at least 20MB's from a German or Dutch server,I think there are T1 hubs in those locations and that could help but I may be talking out of my butt too.

I tried the Romanian server as I hear that country has particularly good internet speeds but I can never get good speeds from there.

Another thing to consider if you're only getting low speeds is have you forwarded a port because that helps tons.

#33 dIecbasC

dIecbasC

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

Ive just updated my blog with speed data & speediest results, http://www.irj972.co.uk/articles/VPN-performance

For the sake of sharing info here though via AirVPN last night at about 9PM GMT on a Saturday evening I had a 120mbps connection pulling some test data down at 14MB/s.

This was from my Macbook pro over wifi to my airport extreme and connected via viscosity software having imported a standard connection - no tweaking tuning, port forwarding, SLL, SSH etc. 

It was so quick I didn't even bother benching any other providers. I like AirVPNs philosophy so happy to support them etc. 

#34 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'd say try port forwarding the result can be very surprising and I would guess that's where your other 100MB's are waiting.

#35 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

thanks McLoEa

that is great to hear you get 20mbs on the german/dutch servers that could be quite important regarding the port forwarding thing.

#36 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Ive just updated my blog with speed data & speediest results, http://www.irj972.co.uk/articles/VPN-performance

For the sake of sharing info here though via AirVPN last night at about 9PM GMT on a Saturday evening I had a 120mbps connection pulling some test data down at 14MB/s.

This was from my Macbook pro over wifi to my airport extreme and connected via viscosity software having imported a standard connection - no tweaking tuning, port forwarding, SLL, SSH etc. 

It was so quick I didn't even bother benching any other providers. I like AirVPNs philosophy so happy to support them etc. 

am confused did you not say earlier you got 100meg with air switched on and now 14mbs?

Otherwise that is a major loss of speed and performance I would say try port forwarding also.

also the link returns bad gateway error

#37 dIecbasC

dIecbasC

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

thanks for letting me know my VPS has thrown a wobbler....

for clarification whilst I fix my VPS, I connected at 120mbps (mebagits per second) on Virgin last night and downloaded an 8Gb test file at 14MB/s (megabytes per second) - the capitals are important

#38 dIecbasC

dIecbasC

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

sigh.....sorry about that, looks like I was hit by my first server attack which crashed my VPS. I'll look at how to make it more resilient this week. Hopefully the bots will leave it alone for a while....

#39 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I couldn't access your link yesterday either lrj972 but today it's showing download speeds of 111.82Mb/s with AirVPN engaged in which case I'll say Woot!!

To refresh,

I grabbed a 12GB file over a 20Mb/s connection in an hour last week and my client was showing download speeds of 4Mb/s which surpasses the previous best I had of 3.7Mb/s.

Although it would be nice to have instantaneous downloads ,i.e. click it and it's there, I can remember when it took 18 hours to get a 1GB file over a Virgin connection.That's going back a fair while now and I'm generally satisfied with the speeds I get today and allowing for a 33% decrease for having a VPN engaged is not a worry for me. Oh the excitement when my first download  completed at over 1Mb/s!

I guess when I go to 50Mb/s supposedly at the end of this month I'll be even happier.

:)

#40 dIecbasC

dIecbasC

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Woot exactly - I was pretty surprised at just how fast AirVPN was - I was expecting it to be around 40mbps so very pleasantly surprised. Now to the task of building a router than can route 120mbps and has headroom for Virgins increase towards 200mbit later this year. :)

Its interesting to note as well that after tweeting about AirVPN performance my VPS was hit with a DoS attack for the first time since creating it around Christmas time. Coincidence?????