Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.172.115
Sign in to follow this  
Styledave

ANSWERED Tunnelblick - Connection timeout on Mac Os X

Hi everybody,

yesterday I bought a 31 days plan. So I followed your instructions to connect to Airvpn on Mac Osx.

I installed Tunnelblick, created the configuration file (I choosed: Europe and tried both UDP and TCP port 443).

I disabled all firewalls (the OS one and the router one).

I have no peer block.

Although I am not able to connect.

Here I attach 2 logs, one for the error I got with the UDP port, one for the TCP error.

UDP LOG.rtf

TCP LOG.rtf

Can anyone tell me where I'm wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

your system is resolving europe.vpn.airdns.org to 67.215.66.132, which is not an entry-IP address of any of our VPN servers. In fact, it is an OpenDNS server IP address (OpenDNS is in no way related to AirVPN, of course). So Tunnelblick tries to establish a connection to... an OpenDNS server, which obviously fails. We can't say why it happens, can you please check your hosts file? Which DNS servers is your system using? Could you please open a command line and type

ping europe.vpn.airdns.org

and send us the output of the command?

As an immediate solution, you can re-generate your configuration file(s) ticking, on the Configuration Generator, "Advanced Options", and then ticking both "Resolved hosts in .ovpn file" and "All servers for area or region", so that the generated file will contain only IP addresses and not host names. It would be anyway very interesting to investigate on the issue, so do not hesitate to reply if you wish so.

Kind regards

Hello,

I solved the problem simply creating a new configuration file selecting a specific server: it worked very well!

However, just for curiosity, I investigated for the problem of europe.vpn.airdns.org with your precious advices:

1) Pinging europe.vpn.airdns.org I have this message: "cannot resolve europe.vpn.airdns.org: Unknown host"

2) Pinging 67.215.66.132 the ping is OK

3) Your reply made me thinking about my configuration: indeed I had manually setted the OpenDNS DNS. :-) I disabled them. But the problem persists.

Here attached there's the new log

4) At the end, I followed your advanced mode advice: it worked!

5) My host file seems to be virgin! ;-) 

I really don't know the reason of my Mac behavior.

Thank you so much for your help.

New LOG.rtf

Hello!

Thank you very much for your information!

After some investigation, it comes out that, for some reason we can't imagine at all, OpenDNS servers resolve (intermittently or not) our *.vpn.airdns.org domain names absurdly. We have no idea about why OpenDNS is breaking our domain names, we will contact them, in the meantime please do NOT use OpenDNS or generate configuration files only with IP addresses.

air# dig @208.67.222.222 europe.vpn.airdns.org

; > DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 > @208.67.222.222 europe.vpn.airdns.org
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;europe.vpn.airdns.org.        IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
europe.vpn.airdns.org.    0    IN    A    67.215.66.132

;; Query time: 640 msec
;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#53(208.67.222.222)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 23 20:13:40 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 55

Kind regards