Photo

Alternative AirVPN client with provider-independent double-hop support (GNU/Linux)

doublehop client python Linux openvpn firewall airvpn

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 183aTr78f9o

183aTr78f9o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

I'll have to look into that, works fine on my main machine (Arch/Plasma) and I haven't changed the code at all. What's your distro again?

Nevermind, restarting qomui-gui fixed it, context menu is back. Nothing to worry about I guess.

I'm also using Arch with KDE Plasma.

I struggled a lot with this - only having the tray icon was my main goal at first. Then I realized that on DEs without system tray such as Gnome this would obviously cause issues and on others (e.g. Ubuntu) it would just not work reliably. I know this is not an optimal solution, but changing it would break Qomui on some DEs. Since it's very time-consuming to test Qomui on all common DEs, I decided to stick to this for the moment. Currently, I have run tests on Arch/Plasma, Antergos/Gnome (will change to Fedora/Gnome), Mint/Cinnamon, Ubuntu/Gnome and Manjaro/XFCE (all clean up-to-date installations except Arch which is my main OS).

I understand. Optimizing a Linux application so that it works properly on every distribution/desktop environment combo must be such an headache for developers.

Having both task manager and system tray entries is an insignificant detail in my opinion. A simple click on the system tray icon, done. Better have GNOME users being able to use Qomui.

#42 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2674 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

It's refreshing to see a new OpenVPN software project coming up.

Are you planning on packaging this into .debs/.rpms?

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#43 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

It's refreshing to see a new OpenVPN software project coming up.

Are you planning on packaging this into .debs/.rpms?

Sorry for my late answer: Yes, it is planned - currently, I'm working on an AUR package and a .deb, there a just some unforeseen problems with the installer script that I have to iron out. Once that is done, I will look into .rpm, too.

#44 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

A small update: As promised, version 0.5.1 introduces (experimental) support for AirVPN with ipv6 as well as tls-crypt. However, qomui currently does not support double-hop connections with ipv6 yet. If you have changed firewall rules via the respective option you should reset those to defaults or deactivate network lock/firewall. For reasons I don't quite understand the update routine fetches ipv6-adresses for ALL Airvpn servers (including those that do not support the new protocol(s) yet. Obviously, choosing ipv6 with an AirVPN server that does not support it yet, won't work.

Furthermore, I have uploaded qomui to the AUR, so Arch users can now download it from there. Deb-package will be released soon. 

#45 183aTr78f9o

183aTr78f9o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

I successfully installed AUR package.

Thank you @corrado

#46 razzmudge

razzmudge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

Hi corrado!  Was having continued problems with the new Eddie client on Ubuntu 18.04 and saw your alternative in the forums. I followed your GitHub link and installed the Ubuntu dependencies and the git clone with no issues.

I then executed the install qomui step and the following errors were reported.  Any ideas where I went wrong?

error: can't copy 'resources/VERSION': doesn't exist or not a regular file 
    ----------------------------------------
Command "/usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-rmtks33d-build/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-t2yh3iex-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-rmtks33d-build/

#47 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

Sorry @razzmudge - this was a temporary error in my setup.py that I have already fixed.

#48 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

This was much much harder than initially expected but I have created .deb and rpm. packages to make the installation process a lot easier (and create less dependency issues).

Deb-Package:

qomui.0.5.1-amd64.deb

Rpm-Package:

qomui-0.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm

In the future, new versions will be available through the releases section on github.

#49 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

This was much much harder than initially expected but I have created .deb and rpm. packages to make the installation process a lot easier (and create less dependency issues).

Deb-Package:

qomui.0.5.1-amd64.deb

Rpm-Package:

qomui-0.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm

In the future, new versions will be available through the releases section on github.

thanks.  the other day I tried to install and got some pip3 error.  this should make it easier.

#50 greerd

greerd

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hi corrado,

I can confirm that your .deb package works, thanks for the effort.

If you want nit-picking,  firejailed apps don't work from the Bypass section even though they will run from the command line, eg.

cgexec -g net_cls:bypass_qomui firejail /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U works but running Google Chrome from the Bypass list doesn't.

Cheers

#51 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

Hi corrado,

I can confirm that your .deb package works, thanks for the effort.

If you want nit-picking,  firejailed apps don't work from the Bypass section even though they will run from the command line, eg.

cgexec -g net_cls:bypass_qomui firejail /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U works but running Google Chrome from the Bypass list doesn't.

Cheers

I know the reason for that; currently, qomui dismisses all additional parameters when calling a program via the gui. I will try to find a better solution.

#52 strykenKN

strykenKN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

Hello,

great, what you have put there, would be glad if you could make something for us windows user synonymous something. Would certainly be possible or? Because I also use a second VPN. And other users would certainly be happy and if it must be, I would even pay for it.

#53 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2219 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:23 AM

Hello,

great, what you have put there, would be glad if you could make something for us windows user synonymous something. Would certainly be possible or? Because I also use a second VPN. And other users would certainly be happy and if it must be, I would even pay for it.

Like...a virtual machine?

You can already do it with any provider.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

#54 snaggle

snaggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

Hi there, Version 0.5.1 installed from Qomui gui crashes on attempting connection.

Previous version 0.5.0? runs perfectly.

Edit: Manjaro Gnome.

#55 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

@snaggle: strange, this shouldn't happen. Can you start qomui via terminal (just type "qomui-gui") and post the output? Alternatively, try uninstalling qomui and then installing via AUR - this is the recommended way for Arch-based distributions.

@strykenKN: for now I'm not planning a Windows version - some things such as doublehop or bypass won't work on Windows the way I have implemented them for GNU/Linux, so these features would have to be rewritten from scratch. Furthermore, my focus is now on bug-fixing, packaging and releasing a cli-version + maybe support for wireguard. After all that, I might start thinking about other platforms.

#56 strykenKN

strykenKN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

Okay then I know that.

I still have a question, because I think about the whole time to switch to Linux or to install Fedora next to Windows (unfortunately I still need Windows). Supports your client like Eddie, SSL / SSH over 443 (2-3-4), Wireguard etc.

Thank you for your tireless work and effort, I just think great.

#57 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

I still have a question, because I think about the whole time to switch to Linux or to install Fedora next to Windows (unfortunately I still need Windows). Supports your client like Eddie, SSL / SSH over 443 (2-3-4), Wireguard etc.

OpenVPN over SSL/SSH for AirVPN is already working and I'm strongly thinking about adding wireguard support, too.

#58 strykenKN

strykenKN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

@corrado

thanks for your info. So I have now installed next to Windows 10 Linux Mint 19, I found easier and nicer.

Now have your client on it and that runs damn fast and well and everything works. Now I'm thinking about getting Mullad and they're offering Wireguard.

Do you know if the servers for Wireguard are also downloaded from your client? Or do I have to tinker around?

Don't be angry, I ask a lot because I want to use it properly and I'm just new to Linux and VPN.

I would be happy about Wireguard function.

Thanks for your time.

#59 strykenKN

strykenKN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

which would be cool to offer VyprVPN.

#60 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:44 PM

thanks for your info. So I have now installed next to Windows 10 Linux Mint 19, I found easier and nicer.

Now have your client on it and that runs damn fast and well and everything works. Now I'm thinking about getting Mullad and they're offering Wireguard.

Do you know if the servers for Wireguard are also downloaded from your client? Or do I have to tinker around?

Don't be angry, I ask a lot because I want to use it properly and I'm just new to Linux and VPN.

I would be happy about Wireguard function.

Happy to welcome you to GNU/Linux! Currently, Qomui doesn't support wireguard yet, so Mullvad's wireguard configurations are not downloaded. I will add wireguard support in one of the next releases, though. 

which would be cool to offer VyprVPN.

Qomui supports most providers, but it does not automatically download configuration files for all of them. You can easily use VyprVPN with Qomui by first downloading their configuration files (if they don't offer any, don't bother with them) and adding them via the provider tab - choose "Manually add config file folder".

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Servers online. Online Sessions: 13782 - BW: 45491 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.205.211.87Guest Access.