Not connected, Your IP: 54.144.81.21
Sign in to follow this  
saveme

DNS Crypt with Air VPN

I am using DNS Crypt using Cisco Open DNS along with Air VPN (default settings & Network Lock ON).

I am wondering how this would work. When I run IP Leak test and DNS Leak Test, I would see Open DNS server, which is rational.

DNS Crypt helps avoiding spoofing and MITM (Man in Middle Attack), so does Air VPN (I believe - correct me if I am wrong).

My Concern is that is it an extra layer of security ? Or is it less secure ? Or is it not a useful feature to use.

Would be glad to hear your comments about this. I want to avoid MITM completely. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

How come some organizations can offer DNS Servers for free ? Do they sell data or they do it for free (as they are committed to net neutrality and against authoritarian governments )

My Concern is that is it an extra layer of security ?

DNS Crypt is. OpenDns Not really.

How come some organizations can offer DNS Servers for free ? Do they sell data or they do it for free (as they are committed to net neutrality and against authoritarian governments )

See this https://blog.uncensoreddns.org/

DNS Crypt helps avoiding spoofing and MITM (Man in Middle Attack), so does Air VPN (I believe - correct me if I am wrong).

Hello!

That's correct. Each Air VPN server runs its own DNS server. If you query our DNS, the queries never get out of the tunnel, so you have a guarantee that they can't be hijacked or forged. Additionally you have some advantage in terms of performance, since you don't need that our servers forward the queries to a third party DNS which is outside the VPN.

Kind regards