Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.31.240
Sign in to follow this  
Korr

[Guide] Air VPN on Android (ICS, No Root)

Hi all this is a guide on how to use airvpn on your Android 4.0+ (ICS) device without the need to root, I will try and keep it as simple as possible.

1.) Install Openvpn on your android device (it's free) LINK

2.) Download your desired config for airvpn via the 'Access without client' LINK

3.) Open air.ovpn in a text editor like notepad and edit the following lines

ca "ca.crt"

cert "user.crt"

key "user.key"

Change to:

ca "/mnt/sdcard/vpn/ca.crt"

cert "/mnt/sdcard/vpn/user.crt"

key "/mnt/sdcard/vpn/user.key"

4.) Connect your android device to your computer and make a director on the sdcard called 'vpn' (you can change this but change the path above if you do) and place all config files in it.

5.) Open Openvpn on your android and press "import" and go to the vpn folder and select air.ovpn and then once it's opened press the "clear" it should now be on the list of profiles and called "converted Profile"

6.) Press on the profile and it should work

Hope this helps someone

Extra: if you receive an error regarding the lack of a 'tun module' download the following app which may be able to install a tun module for you LINK

According to Google Play "This app is incompatible with your Verizon Motorola DROID RAZR." Is there any alternative to this without rooting your Droid phone?

Thanks

Do you have ICS (Android 4) on your phone? ... the app requires it and Play filters based on OS version, so if you are not on ICS you can't normally access the app. Hope this helps.

Edit .. sorry forgot ... also it looks as though there are no approaches that are both free and work w/o root. Seems all others require at a minimum a BusyBox install and that requires root.

Sadly you need Android 4.0+ as google added a VPN API with ICS and the app uses this and as mentioned the only other way is with a rooted phone, so you will have to wait until Motorola roll-out the ICS update, but according to their website its Q2 2012 so shouldn't be that long.

Source: https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

-Peace

I will check this out on my rooted Galaxy Note with ICS. I used FEAT VPN with Gingerbread & Honeycomb devices but apparently that method no longer works with ICS (according to developer notes).

Well followed your guide and its showing connected to the vega US server but non-of internet apps or Web Browser is connecting to web on my ICS Galaxy Note 4.0.3.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

I added a UK server and connected fine. Then selected the US one and that then also connected fine so no idea why it didn't earlier.

Anyway, works great

I have a question. I dont know how to do step three on the process

ca "ca.crt"

cert "user.crt"

key "user.key"

Change to:

I dont know where to go to complete this step. i couldn't find ca "ca.crt" file. i have done the first two steps and im stuck.

Thanks

Also i wanna add, i cant open the air.zip file from the second step. i cant open it from my tablet nor my computer and i have winrar on my pc and it still doesnt open it

Also i wanna add, i cant open the air.zip file from the second step. i cant open it from my tablet nor my computer and i have winrar on my pc and it still doesnt open it

The editing is easiest from a computer. If you have winrar install then it should be as simple as right clicking on the air.zip and clicking extract to... and then extracting the individual files to a folder. What is the error you get when you try this? Might be a corrupt download so perhaps try re-downloading.

I have a question. I dont know how to do step three on the process

ca "ca.crt"

cert "user.crt"

key "user.key"

Change to:

I dont know where to go to complete this step. i couldn't find ca "ca.crt" file. i have done the first two steps and im stuck.

Thanks

The files mentioned which need changing are found in the air.zip folder that you download from the site in step 2.

Hope this helps

Yup thats what it said. It is damaged. Ill try and download another server.

Thanks alot for the help

Ok. None of them are working. Then say unknown or damaged.

Am i suppose to be changing any ports or anything. I havent changed any. I just chose a server and i check the boxes and i hit generate. My tablet is hooked up to my pc and i see the file pop in. But i cant extract the files.

Am i suppose to be changing any ports or anything. I havent changed any. I just chose a server and i check the boxes and i hit generate. My tablet is hooked up to my pc and i see the file pop in. But i cant extract the files.

Hello!

We can confirm that the zip archive generated by our configuration generator is not corrupt. You can decompress it with any standard unzip utility.

Kind regards

Ok well the problem then is occuring between the site and your computer as the config generator has been confirmed to be working fine. So in order to diagnose the problem would you mind typing out the steps you do. are you downloading the .zip on your tablet or PC?

Ok I got it to work for the most part.

I was trying to do it on my tablet, but i was able to do it from my pc.

ive changed the names of the files and i was able to continue.

Im now just waiting for the app to work and i should be good to go. when i try and import, i select the file and then it says "unfortunately, openvpn for android has stopped. Then it closes. but i just going to restart my tablet(TF300) and i should be good to go.

I want to say thank you to Korr and Admin for the timely help. Much appreciated

I got everything to work (I think?), however after importing the AirVPN file into OpenVPN, I get the result (see attached). I try to open in the OpenVPN program and get an error message about the TUN.

I installed the TUN app as suggested, but it can't find a compatible version for my device?

I'm using an Asus Transformer TF101, Android 4.0.3, and rooted.

Any ideas?

I got everything to work (I think?), however after importing the AirVPN file into OpenVPN, I get the result (see attached). I try to open in the OpenVPN program and get an error message about the TUN.

I installed the TUN app as suggested, but it can't find a compatible version for my device?

I'm using an Asus Transformer TF101, Android 4.0.3, and rooted.

Any ideas?

Could you provide some more information such as the kernel and build number and ROM you are using. (Settings> About Phone > Software Information > More

-Korr

Hi,

So I reinstalled another ROM version (still ICS) and went through the steps outlined in the original post. This time I also managed to successfully find a TUN version that was installed.

After I import the openvpn file and try to execute the scripts, it seems to run ok, but seems to error out as it is looking for a username and password?

There is no mention of this in the original thread, I was assuming that the zip I downloaded from AirVPN to connect without the client had my specific account details in it? I had to log in to the AirVPN Site before I could access the zip download?

Anyway here is a dump of what happens. Hopefully someone can help me get this to work! Thanks:

Running on Transformer TF101 (EeePad) asus, Android API 15 Log cleared. Building configuration… P:OpenVPN 2.3_alpha3 arm-linux-androideabi [sSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [MH] [PF_INET6] [iPv6 payload 20110522-1 (2.2.0)] built on Aug 2 2012 P:MANAGEMENT: Connected to management server at /data/data/de.blinkt.openvpn/cache/mgmtsocket P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release' P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'bytecount 2' P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on' Network Status: CONNECTED to WIFI P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'proxy NONE' P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'needok 'PROTECTFD' ok' P:Socket Buffers: R=[110592->131072] S=[110592->131072] P:UDPv4 link local: [undef] P:UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]69.163.36.66:443 P:MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1347437365,WAIT,,, P:MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1347437365,AUTH,,, P:TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET]69.163.36.66:443, sid=dcea2126 548ca647 P:VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=IT, ST=IT, L=Perugia, O=airvpn.org, CN=airvpn.org CA, emailAddress=info@airvpn.org P:VERIFY OK: nsCertType=SERVER P:VERIFY OK: depth=0, C=IT, ST=IT, L=Perugia, O=airvpn.org, CN=server, emailAddress=info@airvpn.org P:Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key P:Data Channel Encrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication P:Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key P:Data Channel Decrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication P:Control Channel: TLSv1, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, 2048 bit RSA P:[server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]69.163.36.66:443 P:MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1347437368,GET_CONFIG,,, P:SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1) P:AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED P:SIGTERM received, sending exit notification to peer P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'username 'Auth' ' P:MANAGEMENT: CMD 'password [...]' MGMT:Got unrecognized line from management:ERROR: the 'username' command requires 2 parameters MGMT:Got unrecognized line from management:ERROR: the 'password' command requires 2 parameters P:SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1) P:SIGTERM[soft,exit-with-notification] received, process exiting P:MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1347437374,EXITING,exit-with-notification,,

Hi,

There is no mention of this in the original thread, I was assuming that the zip I downloaded from AirVPN to connect without the client had my specific account details in it? I had to log in to the AirVPN Site before I could access the zip download?

Hello!

Yes, your assumption is correct. Inside the zipped archive you will find not only the certificates but also your private key. No prompt for username and password should be issued by your client. From the logs, apparently your client is correctly accessing both certificates (ca.crt and user.crt), but not the key (user.key), can you please check?

Kind regards

How do I check this? Sorry, this is very new to me.

Thanks

Hello!

Please check whether all the files inside the zipped archive have been copied and pasted into the proper directory (for example /sdcard/openvpn). Besides the .ovpn configuration file(s), you must see ca.crt, user.crt and user.key. Absence of any of those files will prevent your device to connect. In particular, absence of user.key will cause the client to prompt you for (an impossible) authentication

Kind regards

Everything is in the correct folder mnt/sdcard/vpn

I have made the suggested changes to the openvpn file as per the OP.

Still same results.

I've even tried individually importing all files (crt, key etc) into the openvpn client (same one suggested in OP) although the OP only mentioned importing just the openvpn file. TUN is installed fine, not sure what else to do.

I saw an older thread on the same subject, but that thread never mentioned the changes to the openvpn file. Could that be worth a try?

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=page&page=home&func=view&catid=3&id=133&Itemid=142

I'm stuck.....

Does anyone run the App on a Sony Tablet S?

I've imported the files and it attempts to establish a connection but aborts when opening the TUN interface.

Android: 4.0.3

Kernel: 2.6.39.4

I know this thread is kind of old but I tried a few months ago with this problem and gave up. I just got a new phone and tried it again and the same problem was there. This stumped me for a while and I tried multiple OpenVPN apps (some prompted for user/pass, some just logged "Password command requires 2 parameters" and failed) and looked at the certs and configs etc etc and the answer is, as usual, the simplest.

It is because you are already connected. If you disconnect from your computer, it will work fine from your phone. If you connect your phone, then try on your computer, it will fail.

I thought I saw somewhere that unlimited devices could be used. I think it should be clarified that unlimited devices can be used, but only one connection. [correct me if I'm wrong...] If that's the case, I think that we should be allowed to have 2-3 simultaneous connections. I don't know if that's technically feasible and/or possible or not, but I think it's a reasonable request.

Anyway, I thought I should post since it seems like a common issue. I think people, like me, were connected on their computers when downloading the certs and immediately transferred to the phone while still on the computer without ever disconnecting.

Regardless, AirVPN support is absolutely top notch and the service itself is great. I refer people here all the time and I will probably use this service as long as it's around.

I thought I saw somewhere that unlimited devices could be used. I think it should be clarified that unlimited devices can be used, but only one connection. [correct me if I'm wrong...] If that's the case, I think that we should be allowed to have 2-3 simultaneous connections. I don't know if that's technically feasible and/or possible or not, but I think it's a reasonable request.

Hello!

An account can have only one active connection at a time. This means that you can connect as many devices as you wish simultaneously from the SAME network. If you need to connect different devices from multiple, different networks simultaneously, you need multiple accounts. A FAQ with answer is available on that. More than 1 simultaneous connection from the same account is not allowed, the main reason is our commitment to guaranteed allocated bandwidth. It would be a real problem if we could not know in advance the number of connections from different networks from the same account and the plans pricing should be reviewed (i.e. higher prices), causing no advantage to multiple networks users and a disadvantage (in terms of price) to single network customers.

Regardless, AirVPN support is absolutely top notch and the service itself is great. I refer people here all the time and I will probably use this service as long as it's around.

Thank you!

Kind regards

Hello!  I recently acquired an android phone and decided to use its VPN functions.  It's a Samsung S4, unrooted and currently 6 hours old   .

I downloaded the airvpn.ovpn file autogenerated by the tool found here:https://airvpn.org/generator/

It generated a file (which I downloaded both to my computer and directly to my phone.)

I opened the OpenVPN app, imported the profile (which was found in the "dowload" folder in my internal SD card) and then tried to connect.

However the device is stuck on "Looking up DNS name" and will not progress.  The phone just keeps telling me "reconnecting."

I tried editing my .ovpn file as it was delineated in the beginning of this thread but CTR-F did not find the words [ca "ca.crt";cert "user.crt"; key "user.key].  I'm assuming, that since I was logged in at the time of generation that these were filled out automatically. 

My question is:  What are the next steps I should do?  I really want this functionality on my phone.  Badly.