7 replies to this topic

#1 kbps

kbps

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

I have been using Spybot Anti-beacon since before the creators update. It appears to still be working after the update to creators. Are there any other pieces of software that I could use to block telemetry? 

#2 serenacat

serenacat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

One of several reasons to run VirtualBox VM with a Linux Mint guest on a W10 host is to reduce leakage of data about activities through M$ telemetry. I do everything in LM (except VLC video at 1080p/720p and a DVB-T/USB tuner) and W10 just sees the "VirtualBox Manager" process with diskio to a single *.vdi ntfs file which contains the Linux filesystem. So M$ kept "in the dark" to a certain extent.

• LZ1 likes this

#3 kiwi

kiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

you could shut it off with tools like that:

www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

#4 H8SOCIETY

H8SOCIETY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

W10Privacy

https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

#5 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Windows 10: Helper software for editing privacy-related settings

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#6 larky

larky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

If anyone is interested, here is what is in that "telemetry" and what is being "collected". MS released this recently in response to concerns about this "telemetry" thing.

Windows 10, version 1703 basic level Windows diagnostic events and fields

The original article pointing to this appeared at Ars Technica recently > Microsoft opens up on Windows telemetry, tells us most of what data it collects

"Microsoft has published the full range of data that Windows 10 version 1703, the Creators Update, will collect in its default "basic" telemetry setting. The company has also provided details on the kinds of information that can be captured in the optional "full" telemetry setting."

#7 larky

larky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:11 AM

Well, that did not last long. It seems Microsoft changed the link I posted to point back to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ instead of going to the documentation. The documentation can't be found any longer, I haven't tried to search for it. sorry 'bout that.

disregard this post, see the next one below

#8 larky

larky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

forget my post above this one, it looks like Microsoft fixed it and the link is back:

Full telemetry = Windows 10, version 1703 Diagnostic Data

Basic telemetry = Windows 10, version 1703 basic level Windows diagnostic events and fields

The full telemetry is inclusive of the basic telemetry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 14962 - BW: 47850 Mbit/sYour IP: 34.229.194.198Guest Access.