Not connected, Your IP: 44.210.120.182

I use an old music sharing application called Soulseek which needs a couple of ports opened.

I set up 2 ports in the members area, removed them from the port forwarding section of my router, changed the listening port in the application and allowed traffic through those ports in Windows firewall (Win 10).

However, with the VPN active Soulseek can't use the listening port unless I turn off the firewall. When the firewall is off everything works okay so the ports are set up okay with AirVPN.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help.

At a guess you didn't update the firewall to allow the forwarded ports, or to allow the traffic on the tap/tun interface.

Cheers for the reply.

I was indeed being stupid. Windows firewall sees the VPN as a public network and for some reason the default setup for a public network is to block all incoming traffic including through ports already opened in the firewall.

I hope this helps someone in the future

Do we really need a firewall on a PC connecting via openvpn since all ports are blocked by Airvpn unless we specifically allow them through using the web interface?

Do we really need a firewall on a PC connecting via openvpn since all ports are blocked by Airvpn unless we specifically allow them through using the web interface?

Hello!

It's always good to not just rely on OpenVPN/AirVPN exclusively, but to use other measures too, yes. Just don't use 2 firewalls or 2 antivirus naturally .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.