Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.160.216
Magrathea

Recommendations for best router to use with AirVPN

Hi My Asus RTN66u had given up and I need a new one that will allow me to add AirVPN , my experience with the ASUS was not positive do I am after some help, shared experiences if possible?

Thanks

You may try Xiaomi Mi Mini (not nano!) Router with a custom firmware from padavan. But to tell the truth RT-N66U with Asus-Merlin on board is more than good as well.

Magrathea,

I used an Asus RTN66U for a while and liked it.  I got interested in trying to run AirVPN on it and then have multiple computers and wireless connections all 'protected'.  So, if my memory is correct, I tried Merlin firmware and then Tomato by Shibby.  I liked the Tomato firmware and discovered, like others have, that the modem could not handle the encryption/decryption at the same speeds as a PC.  I changed to a Netgear R7000, installed Tomato firmware and was pleased to see that it 'looked' just like Tomato on the Asus but I got a lot better performance with VPN.

So, if I were looking for a modem today, I would start by checking Shibby's website to see what modems/chips his firmware supports.  Working from that list I would evaluate those modems against my needs/wishes/budget.  I'm sure that your preferences are different from mine, but the same general approach should help.

Also, if you provide more criteria that are important to you, others may be able to provide specific info.

Best wishes,

Hello!

Turris Omnia if you're ambitious! It has better hardware that all the others haha.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Depends on required bandwidth. If you want to pass VPN at full on a 100Mbps line you need something better than consumer box.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)