Not connected, Your IP: 54.166.141.52
Seanpatrick

ANSWERED Workaround for Network lock and 3rd party firewall?

Hey all!

I just signed up for a year of AirVPN today and ditched PIA (their communication with customers leaves a LOT to be desired).

I've been doing some research, and it seems AirVPN's Network Lock only works with the Windows Firewall.  I'd prefer to keep BitDefender firewall on, as It's done a great job thus far (I was compromised I believe with Win 10's a while back).  

Though I've got Network Lock active (and you probably know this) I can still browse websites when the client is on but disconnected.  I saw the following post in the forum which I assume is a generic work-around for 3rd part firewalls, but it's a bit confusing - or perhaps beyond my understanding.  Is there a layman's explanation or more concerted sequence of steps to set up something similar?  I tried searching bitdefender forums and found nothing useful. 

Thanks in advance!

• A backup of the current rules is saved in file called winfirewallrules.wfw. This includes rules and notification settings
  • For each profile (domain, private, public) if the firewall was not active, it's activated. If the notification of the profile was enabled, it's disabled.
  • Delete all existing rules
  • Create AirVPN rules: allow icmp if ping is enabled, allow local subnet if private network is enabled, allow traffic over VPN, allow all IP addresses (under control of AirVPN) used by our authentication or VPN servers
  • Set BlockInbound & BlockOutbound as firewall policy for all profiles

I've been doing some research, and it seems AirVPN's Network Lock only works with the Windows Firewall.  I'd prefer to keep BitDefender firewall on,

Eddie 2.11.x beta uses WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) by default (Windows Firewall remains available as an alternative method for Network Lock). You can test it with BitDefender: if BitDefender does not set higher priority WFP rules, chances of compatibility do exist.

Kind regards

I've been doing some research, and it seems AirVPN's Network Lock only works with the Windows Firewall.  I'd prefer to keep BitDefender firewall on,

Eddie 2.11.x beta uses WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) by default (Windows Firewall remains available as an alternative method for Network Lock). You can test it with BitDefender: if BitDefender does not set higher priority WFP rules, chances of compatibility do exist.

Kind regards

Yup!  The experimental (Eddie 2.11 beta) version does indeed work with Bitdefender firewall.  Good job AirVPN! - I can already tell I've made the right choice in VPN providers.  Thanks!