Not connected, Your IP: 18.221.15.15
Sign in to follow this  
gurejoks

Eddie suggestion: Actually cancel/kill when you hit "Cancel"

Hi, I travel a lot and connect via different, often slow wifis. Sometimes they come with a redirect popup requiring to agree to some conditions (e.g. at airports). Bottom line, I'm often trying different servers, different protocols, and sometimes temporarily disabling network look briefly to get the popup before re-enabling, etc. 

Here's my problem: 

While Eddie tries to connect, there seems to be a one minute time-out until it gives up. So, very often it tries to connect, and it's clear to me that it won't work, and I just quickly want to cancel and try something different (server, protocol, network lock, or just disable the "check route" or "check DNS" settings). However, Eddie hangs in there for a full minute or so, even after I've pressed "Cancel". Then I try something different, and again it takes at least a minute (if it doesn't work) to try the next thing. 

(Actually, the most frustrating thing is when I hit "Cancel", and then after a long time it does manage to connect, but THEN registers the cancel request and disconnects just after it successfully connected). 

Occasionally I go into the Activity Monitor or CLI to manually kill openvnp and Eddie, but that also takes some time. 

So, request: Would it be possible to make the "Cancel" button (while Eddie is trying to connect) actually immediately cancel (kill openvpn) and be ready for the next try?

Thanks!

PS: I'm on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite, and Eddie 2.10.3. 

Hello!

Eddie acts correctly, it sends the proper signal to OpenVPN Management and wait for OpenVPN to comply. What you suggest would imply that Eddie forcefully kills OpenVPN, re-launches it etc. This would not be correct and could potentially cause various problems.

Kind regards

@gurejoks,

I had the same problem last Saturday at home with fast WiFi. Very embarrassing indeed.

After a restart and two coffee's it works back again happily.

Maybe there some minor points but in general I'm very happy with EDDIE.

In my opinion better than Viscosity or Tunnelblick.

I have nothing to hide, but that's nobody's business!

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
John Lennon
The further a society drift from truth the more it will hate those that speak it.
George Orwell

The only solution I've found to handing "Checking Authorisation" or similar is to force kill OpenVPN, and if that doesn't work then to entirely kill the client and restart. So far I've not encountered any problems, but I would not recommend it as an official solution.

Hi @staff, I have no doubt that Eddie acts correctly.

Unfortunately, it can make for a frustrating and slow user experience when internet is slow and partially blocked.

I end up doing what @eyes878 described, namely killing the openvpn process, then trying some other server/protocol/etc.

Could you elaborate on the problems this might cause?

By way of contrast, I'd like to highlight the OpenVPN iOS app:

1. it shows the number of bytes going in and out while connecting - a quick and informative indicator of what's going on. This would be quite useful while connecting in Eddie, too, by the way. (The statistics tab of course shows what's going on, but only once the connection is established. What I'm talking about is some sort of diagnostics during the process of establishing a connection, which can be quite a tedious process on bad Wifi.)

2. if one flips the "Connect" switch in OpenVPN on iOS to "OFF", even while the connection process is still ongoing, in general the app immediately disconnects and lets one choose, say, another profile/server/protocol to try to connect with.

(note, by the way, that AirVPN is my preferred VPN, and the client amazing in almost all respects. This is the only problem I keep running into)

Kind regards