Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.102.178
BreathingAir

Suggestion - Option to not automatically restore connection settings

Hello,

I have asked this before but am wondering if it will be implemented?

When connecting, Eddie client removes default gateway and sets the DNS server to the AirVPN DNS. Therefore, i understand traffic does not travel outside the tunnel, even without network lock switched on (and this can be tested with ipleak.net)

Network lock only works with windows firewall, and not all firewall products are manually configurable to only allow traffic through the VPN (including many popular products used by a huge number of consumers - I have yet to see a guide that works for kaspersky for example, as well as several other commonly used brands).

As Eddie removes default gateway and changes DNS when connected, I understand this can effectively be an alternative to network lock. However, it has a major flaw when used on its own... If / when Eddie disconnects unintentionally, the default gateway and DNS settings are automatically restored by Eddie.

Is there any option you could add to Eddie to allow this to be an effective alternative to network lock, even on unexpected disconnection from the VPN? For example could there be an option to not automatically restore default settings on disconnection, or add a manual button or prompt to do so?

Thank you

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I use a free program to do this from the system tray by 2 clicks. "netsetman"

edit: USED actually. The network lock in eddie made this redundant for my use now

netsetman-3.7.3-1_608x449.png

@ZPKZ Thanks for the suggestion, but would that lock the network settings so they cannot be changed by Eddie? I had a bat script that did a similar thing, but it no longer works as recent versions of Eddie automatically restore default settings on disconnection from the VPN server, to what they were prior to connecting.

If I change network settings prior to connecting to VPN I won't be able to connect to it as my internet won't work.

If I change network settings using a tool like this after connection to VPN, Eddie will restore the original settings on disconnection, overriding these changes.

Thanks

@BreathingAir

Not sure what you're trying to achieve, but maybe the events can help you. Events can be set in "AirVPN" -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" -> "Events". You can define to run a script or an executable file at App Start, App End, Session Start, Session End, VPN Pre, VPN Up and VPN Down. For each event you can tell Eddie to wait or not for the process (originated by the event) to end. This should give you granular control on any phase with Eddie.

Kind regards

Thanks, but I have no programming knowledge. Any tip on how to add an event to VPN Down to pause Eddie until user action, so that Eddie doesn't carry out it's disconnection actions until I'm ready (particularly restoring the original adapter settings)? 

I am using Windows 7. I tried adding a .bat script with just the 'pause' command... When disconnecting Eddie says "Running event vpn.down" in log but then immediately carries on with next actions, and no cmd prompt opens. 

I tried ticking / unticking 'wait end of process' but it didn't change anything.

I also tried 'Sleep' and 'Timeout' commands but they don't work on my machine.

Thanks

Assuming that TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is named (in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) "AirVPN" and your Ethernet adapter (Mobile adapter) is called "Ethernet", you can use below solution.

Write .bat script with such commands:

netsh interface set interface "AirVPN" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" admin=disable
pause

Save it with .bat extension (e.g. Adapters_[Off].bat).

Open /Preferences/Advanced/Events in Eddie. Choose "VPN Down". Browse for location of your script to let Eddie know the track of it. Left "Arguments" field blank. Do not tick "Wait end of process" and save.

I tested it on Windows 8.1 64-bit and everything works.

I would like to emphasize that above solution is not 100% secure, due to exposure between the moment of VPN failure and script execution.

Is it not possible to configure your firewall analogically to Comodo or iptables?

Thanks! That is really good. I understand it's not 100% secure.

"Is it not possible to configure your firewall analogically to Comodo or iptables?"

I use kaspersky internet security suite so I prefer not to disable the firewall portion and try other firewalls like comodo or windows firewall. I've seen guides requested on blocking non-VPN traffic with kaspersky, but haven't seen any solution. As for iptables it is way over my head (I searched a few threads on it and didn't understand a thing).

Thanks again