Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.253.161
mcurrale

Blind And Visually Impaired Users Using The Advanced Features In The Windows Client

Hi.

I have recently commenced using AirVPN, and I must commend you for having one of the most accessible pieces of software I've ever seen for users who are fully blind or vision impaired.

One issue I've encountered is that I'm not able to access the button or icon that I need to click in order to get to the advanced settings area.

It would be great if this could be addressed, as it's proving frustrating to get to the advanced features of this fabulous software package.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with your speeds from Australia and it's great that you offer the ability for users to be able to download the files necessary to use your service with Viscosity or any other open VPN client.

Cheers.

Hello,

thank you for your great feedback!

We wish to address the issue as soon as possible. Can you please describe the problem with more details to make us understand how to fix it?

Kind regards

Probably because everything on that area is in the blue side of colors he has a hard time figuring out where the button is. 

Well done staff for such a quick response in improving the client. 

Hi again.

What do I need to click on in order to get into the advanced area?

Cheers.

Hello!

You need to click the "AirVPN" big button on the top left corner and then select "Preferences" from the menu. Do colors on that button offer bad (too low) contrast?

After you have selected "Preferences", you need to click the "Advanced" tab which is the right-most tab.

Kind regards

Hi.

I'm totally blind, so colours don't bother me much.

In terms of colouring for visually impaired people, it's very difficult to advise, as different eye conditions effect what's best. Either white on black or black/blue on white is generally best though. Basically, try to get as much contrast between the background and the icons/writing/border as you can.

I use a product (screenreader) called Jaws For Windows, which is picking up everything other than that button you mention in the top left hand corner, thus you must have that button differently labelled or you're using a different type of icon.

I'm not the best to advise in terms of how to best label icons/graphics/buttons, but generally, however you've labelled everything else should apply to this section of the program as well.

I can possibly get you in contact with someone who knows a lot more about these things than I do and I'm sure they'd be in a position to perhaps help out, as they are both totally blind as well as doing various types of programming and scripting for a living.

Cheers.

Hello @mcurrale,

thank you for the information. We are resolute to solve the issue.

Eddie developer will start studying the problem in the next hours. Incidentally, the next client Eddie version (2.10.1 Experimental) should be released in the next days, and Eddie developer has promised to insert at least hot keys to mitigate the issue. In spite of the stringent time frame, we will try also to test Jaws to improve Eddie before the new release.

The main menu can currently be opened only by clicking a button that has no text (it's pure graphics), maybe this the cause of the problem.

There are various items, including "Preferences", in the aforementioned menu. It's the "Preferences" item that opens up a window with important tabs: General, Protocols, Proxy, Routes and Advanced, in a new window. These tabs have the same format than the usual tabs Overview, Servers, etc. of the main window, so Jaws should hopefully have no problems once you can use hot-keys, for example Control + M to open the menu and Control + P to open the Preferences window directly.

Kind regards

Hello everyone,

Maybe a good solution for the next releases would be just a "Connect to the best server" button/option?

This can be triggered to even become a default after lets say, 60 seconds of no connection.

It might decide the best server based on ping and load, or whichever other parameters.

I just thought that it might solve quite a lot of other questions, such as "Which server should I choose now",

but effectively it should solve other issues with the client UI.

I am not a UI/UX professional, actually very far from this, so please comment any feedback about this suggestion.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hello everyone,

Maybe a good solution for the next releases would be just a "Connect to the best server" button/option?

Hello,

this button has always been available since the very first Eddie alpha and beta releases... It's the big central button in the main Eddie window "Connect to a recommended server". That button causes Eddie to connect to the highest rated server. If a white list is defined, it will connect to the highest rated server in the white list.

Kind regards

Hi again

That is the exact reason why this button doesn't work, simply put, it's a graphic not a button and the graphic hasn't been appropriately labelled.

If this can be rectified in the next release, that would be appreciated.

After playing around with your client a little more, it is actually possible to get to the preferences menu by right clicking on the AirVPN notification in the notifications area on one's desktop, which thus then brings up the preferences menu.

Once in the menu however, I did notice that some of the checkboxes in just about every tab weren't labelled at all well or not at all and it was only with sighted assistance that I worked out what a number of the options were, so I would suggest you try and resolve that as well if you get a chance.

Many thanks for so much diligence in providing such a fabulous product. I once again stress that you are certainly the best VPN provider I have come across, and I have dalt with just about all of them, in terms of your software and hardware knowledge, as well as ensuring that every member has a fair and just right to get as much out of your product as they can.

But the way where it is now displayed might be confusing, since it's located in the Overview section where users mostly save their credentials.

I think it would be more reasonable to place it in the "Servers" tab, where the OP might have spotted it earlier... 

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

After playing around with your client a little more, it is actually possible to get to the preferences menu by right clicking on the AirVPN notification in the notifications area on one's desktop, which thus then brings up the preferences menu.

Hello!

Eddie 2.10.1 Experimental is now out. With Control M you can open the menu, with Control P you can open the Preferences window and with Control A you can open the "About" window. Eddie 2.10.1 can be downloaded in the usual download page: click "Other versions" then select "Experimental".

Once in the menu however, I did notice that some of the checkboxes in just about every tab weren't labelled at all well or not at all and it was only with sighted assistance that I worked out what a number of the options were, so I would suggest you try and resolve that as well if you get a chance.

Yes, you're right. The developer is aware of this problem. Some more time is needed to fix that.

Many thanks for so much diligence in providing such a fabulous product. I once again stress that you are certainly the best VPN provider I have come across, and I have dalt with just about all of them, in terms of your software and hardware knowledge, as well as ensuring that every member has a fair and just right to get as much out of your product as they can.

Thank you very much, please feel free to keep sending us your feedback: it is very much appreciated and always kept into consideration.

Kind regards

Hi

Downloaded the experimental version and control M works for me, so that's fixed that issue.

Looks like you've also fixed some of the labelling of various checkboxes, which is great too.

Cheers.

Hi

Downloaded the experimental version and control M works for me, so that's fixed that issue.

Looks like you've also fixed some of the labelling of various checkboxes, which is great too.

Cheers.

Hello,

we're very glad to know it. For any improvement you wish to suggest, do not hesitate to write to us. Sometimes it's not easy for us to understand needs and requirements so any suggestion will be very precious.

Kind regards

Hi again.

Only little things left to do is to ensure all areas, including the main screen as well as the preferences tab checkboxes, are all clearly labelled.

Once this is achieved, I can't see much else that can be done and I think you'll find that the program is fully compliant.

Cheers.