Not connected, Your IP: 18.206.238.189

I just got a new Android tablet, and don't want to root it quite yet, but I can see how much junk is thrown at me when "ad-away" or some other method isn't used to block ads.

I often use AirVpn just to reenable some blocked ports or such, but my thought is it could also work using an optional "blacklist" returning a 404 or simply no connection to the standard advertising and tracking sites (some of which eventually try to install malware).

I'd do a premium-plus account if I could turn such blocking on as an option when it generates the ovpn file, or something equally easy so I don't have to fidget with any settings.

(It may be possible to do this with the VPN software)

Actually all you have to do is to set up custom ad blocking DNS resolvers.

Some examples can be here:

http://ba.net/adblock/faq1.html

and

http://dnsplease.com/

There are also plenty of DIY guides of how to run it on your own VPS, if you don't trust those services in terms of security/logging.

I think it would be unfair to block ads, or anything else for that matter, for all Air users.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hi!

Just activated my premium plan and so far great service!

However, I too would be really interested in an option to activate adblocking. This should be an option for users only, not general blocking of course.

Thanks for the links above, but I would have trust issues concerning such a DNS and I would rather pay for a service and be certain it works and is serviced than running my own.

At the moment I have a local VPN running on my phone that does the blocking, but since I would like to run my traffic over airVPN, I'm in a bad position right now

AirVPN want you to access the real internet, not changing, blocking or hiding any of it. Blocking malware or ads wouldn't follow this philosopy.

If you are interested in protecting your devices, you need to do it through other methods. I'm sure there are members here who are willing to help.

I understand what do you mean, and I second that in general.

However, there is one use case I would like to mention: suppose you have a limited data plan (as it is pretty common) and you just browse the web page when... BOOM! An automatically played video ad starts, and it cannot be stopped (like in case of the teads.tv ads). This way you simply (1) sometimes disturb people around with the sound, (2) "enjoy" the broken browsing experience and (3) use the data from your data plan for the f*****g ad, not speaking about the battery power. On my Linux box I can easily add one row to the /etc/hosts but I cannot do that on my Android phone.

Please reconsider this.

It is not necessary to add general sites blocking features, but something like the possibility to manually "add something" to the /etc/hosts.

It is not necessary to add general sites blocking features, but something like the possibility to manually "add something" to the /etc/hosts.

Technically impossible. But you are free to run your own DNS server with ad blocking capabilities (all DNS servers have

plugins and lists to do that, and there are very cheap VPS servers for that)

Or, if you trust some 3d party providers, you can try services like:

https://noad.zone/

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Technically impossible.

What do you mean by technically impossible?

There are other VPN providers out there (I can name a couple that I have previously used) that do it: you have an option in their connection tool that you can turn on or off: when it is on, they block ads, when it is off, you just get everything.

I find that very handy.

Technically impossible.

What do you mean by technically impossible?

There are other VPN providers out there (I can name a couple that I have previously used) that do it: you have an option in their connection tool that you can turn on or off: when it is on, they block ads, when it is off, you just get everything.

I find that very handy.

We are not interested in traffic inspection, not even to block ads. Traffic inspection has profound effects and legal consequences: it's contrary to our policy and mission, it weakens remarkably the anonymity layer, it opens the doors dangerously to logging and monitoring and affects in both major and subtle ways the mere conduit status of a service provider in the information society (exemption of liability for users of the service behavior is reduced when the provider selects the content to re-transmit, as past jurisprudence in the EU has widely shown).

About traffic discrimination on your end (in your system) you can of course do as you prefer, there are many tools around which meet your needs without overloading our software with options unrelated to our mission or (even worse!) making it become bloatware.

Kind regards

If you want to block ads/malware on Android, AdGuard is a great choice. But you mentioned you aren't rooted so just a heads up that to use it with OpenVPN for Android with Air VPN you'll need root.You can run one or the the other just fine without root but to get the benefits of both at the same time you'll need to run AdGuard in Local HTTP Proxy mode instead of Local VPN.

I just got a new Android tablet, and don't want to root it quite yet, but I can see how much junk is thrown at me when "ad-away" or some other method isn't used to block ads.

I often use AirVpn just to reenable some blocked ports or such, but my thought is it could also work using an optional "blacklist" returning a 404 or simply no connection to the standard advertising and tracking sites (some of which eventually try to install malware).

I'd do a premium-plus account if I could turn such blocking on as an option when it generates the ovpn file, or something equally easy so I don't have to fidget with any settings.

(It may be possible to do this with the VPN software)

If you want to block ads in the browser you could try Brave browser.  Its open source and block bad trackers and ads by default.  Its based on chromium too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brave.browser