Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.45.92
cj00

From Windows 7 to Linux Problem

In the Windows 7 version I could start AirVPN when Windows starts, I am now using Linux Mint and see no option, anyway to make this start when I boot up Linux?

Two steps:
- Tell the AirVPN client to automatically connect when launched
- Add the AirVPN client to Mint's "Startup Applications".

Here's a screenshot detailing all the steps:

GnMmHoy.jpg

I tried this with Mint 17.1 MATE, but the Cinnamon edition features the same "Startup Applications" tool, afaik.

Caveat: You still have to enter your sudo/user password every time AirVPN starts.
If that bothers you, you can edit the "sudoers" file to let you run AirVPN as root without having to enter any password.
If you're totally new to sudo and its sudoers file, I'd recommend reading Ubuntu's documentation first:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

​The paragraph "Shutting Down From The Console Without A Password" describes a similar use case to what we're doing here.

The only way to edit sudoers is on the command line using:

sudo visudo

Add the following line to the very end of that file (replace the word "user" with your own user name):

user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/airvpn

Exit visudo with ctrl-x.

Go back into Mint's "Startup Applications", edit the AirVPN entry.
Change its command from ..

/usr/bin/airvpn

to ..

sudo /usr/bin/airvpn

and reboot.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Fantastic thanks. Also works with lubuntu autostartup.

Lubuntu uses Menu/Preferences/DefaultApplicationsforLXSession

then tab Autostart add "sudo /usr/bin/airvpn" (make sure you have edited the sudoers file first)

close and rebboot

I have attached a screen shot of the sudoers file edited for super linux n00bs like me

linux.jpg

Thanks, sheivoko, your short guide is appreciated, even almost two years later.

I've run into a problem however: I can not get Airvpn to auto start. I added the path like suggested in the pictures of the guide.

I suspect that me using the portable version (because it doesn't use Mono) located somewhere in /home/ might have something to do with it..?

Changing the sudoers file worked as expected.

Any ideas how I could get airvpn eddie to autostart? Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: After what I think were several reboots in the last few days where the client didn't automatically start, I booted the machine again this morning and suddenly AirVPN Eddie was running. I'm not sure what changed, but for now it seems to work.

Thanks, sheivoko, your short guide is appreciated, even almost two years later.

I've run into a problem however: I can not get Airvpn to auto start. I added the path like suggested in the pictures of the guide.

I suspect that me using the portable version (because it doesn't use Mono) located somewhere in /home/ might have something to do with it..?

Changing the sudoers file worked as expected.

Any ideas how I could get airvpn eddie to autostart? Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: After what I think were several reboots in the last few days where the client didn't automatically start, I booted the machine again this morning and suddenly AirVPN Eddie was running. I'm not sure what changed, but for now it seems to work.

Hello!

If you use the Experimental client then you'll find that Mono 4 is supported .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Caveat: You still have to enter your sudo/user password every time AirVPN starts.

If that bothers you, you can edit the "sudoers" file to let you run AirVPN as root without having to enter any password.

If you're totally new to sudo and its sudoers file, I'd recommend reading Ubuntu's documentation first:

​The paragraph "Shutting Down From The Console Without A Password" describes a similar use case to what we're doing here.

sudo visudo

Add the following line to the very end of that file (replace the word "user" with your own user name):

Exit visudo with ctrl-x.

/usr/bin/airvpn

to ..

sudo /usr/bin/airvpn

and reboot.

Thank you for the guide.

Is it secure/recommendable to let the application start without password?

any idea why in Mint Linux if i don't close AirVPN program before reboot/shutdown it takes around 90sec to reboot/shutdown but if i close it manually before reboot/shutdown its like instant.

sudo visudo

Exit visudo with ctrl-x.

/usr/bin/airvpn

to ..

sudo /usr/bin/airvpn

and reboot.

Thank you for the guide.

No, it's not recommended .

There's a link to it in my New User guide, in the AirVPN Community guides section.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

sudo visudo

Exit visudo with ctrl-x.

/usr/bin/airvpn

to ..

sudo /usr/bin/airvpn

and reboot.

Thank you for the guide.

No, it's not recommended .

There's a link to it in my New User guide, in the AirVPN Community guides section.

Thank you