Photo

Comodo 7: Blocking All Applications Except Those I Specify?

comodo blocking blocking applications application rules

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

While using AirVPN I only want a single application (my browser) to have access to the internet. Should any other internet related application startup I do not want it to connect to the internet. Is there a way to block all applications except those I specify should have access?

#2 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7857 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hello,

apparently you might follow two methods: whitelisting (you block everything and you allow only the browser) or blacklisting (you block all the applications that you want).

In reality, whitelisting might be harder: there are system processes that must be able to reach the VPN server (for example svchost.exe, ping.exe...). We do not know unfortunately the complete list of Windows system processes which must be enabled.

In general, if you connect to VPN servers ports 53, 80 or 443, in order to block an application only in the VPN, but leaving it able to communicate outside the VPN, you just need to block, for that application, outgoing packets coming from IP in range [10.4.0.1 - 10.9.255.254], any protocol.

Kind regards

#3 Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thank you very much for your help! :bye:

#4 andrewwright

andrewwright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Try Faronics Anti-executable. It may help you in that. We are using it for blocking some apps. in our school.