Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.140.108
Sign in to follow this  
Lee47

Airvpn dns servers only accesable with other public dns first?

Hi have had an issue with my pfsense build recently. I also noticed the same issue with my DD-WRT router however.

I always used 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 Airvpn DNS servers in the pfsense PC and my old dd-wrt router, but I found the connection was hit and miss. Sometimes it was connected and could pull web pages down, other times not at all or after few minutes of waiting it would begin to work and web sites loaded.

I take it this is since AirVPN dns servers can only be used once its connected to the internet successfully ?

Obviously with a tomato/dd-wrt router or Pfsense router pc you can't do this via the windows air client software, so what solutions are people using to get around this?

Could I use openic servers and combine with air dns servers?. I noticed some on here simply avoid Air DNS servers and favour the OpenNic DNS servers instead to get around this issue...

Any ideas are welcome, thanks

Hello,

10.4.0.1 etc. are private IP addresses which can be reached only inside the VPN. In your case you can either set, in the router OpenVPN client configuration, the entry-IP address of the server you wish to connect to (so that it does not need any name resolution) or use a public DNS as a secondary DNS after 10.4.0.1. Keeping 10.4.0.1 as primary and a public DNS as secondary will allow you to use the secondary DNS when the router is not in the private network, and VPN DNS when the router is in the VPN.

Kind regards

thanks staff I will try this in my pfsense box, do you recommend also adding the same DNS within the windows networking adaptor DNS settings ?

Also is it still worth me adding the

85.17.207.151 airvpn.org
212.117.180.25 airvpn.org

to my windows host file ?

thanks staff I will try this in my pfsense box, do you recommend also adding the same DNS within the windows networking adaptor DNS settings ?

Also is it still worth me adding the

85.17.207.151 airvpn.org

212.117.180.25 airvpn.org

to my windows host file ?

Hello,

it makes sense on a particular circumstance: if you wish to connect to a VPN server from the Windows machine, with the Air client and with the Windows machine unable (for example because it is "secured" against any leak) to resolve names via DNS queries.

Kind regards

Hi

I need answer please. I change in utorent DNS to 10.4.0.1. that DNS is also in my wireles router. Is it OK

Hello,

10.4.0.1 etc. are private IP addresses which can be reached only inside the VPN. In your case you can either set, in the router OpenVPN client configuration, the entry-IP address of the server you wish to connect to (so that it does not need any name resolution) or use a public DNS as a secondary DNS after 10.4.0.1. Keeping 10.4.0.1 as primary and a public DNS as secondary will allow you to use the secondary DNS when the router is not in the private network, and VPN DNS when the router is in the VPN.

Kind regards

Old post I know - but is this still valid?  I've upgraded to the latest Eddie and can no longer connect to the net when the VPN is disabled.  Will setting secondary to OpenDNS server address fix this, and will this create any problems?

Thanks!