Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.5.239
hankschrader

Voxility and other data centre logging

Hi,

I've recently signed up with AirVPN and have so far been very satisfied with the speed of the service and the knowledge and honesty of the support staff on this forum. However, I've encountered something that I find concerning.

After reading that a user of EarthVPN had apparently been questioned by the Dutch authorities after his account was used to post a bomb threat, and having read the response from EarthVPN in which it was stated that although they don't log, they suspect that the data centre operators on this occasion had logged activity on one of their servers, I did some searching on Google.

Accusations have been made that Voxility - which I see is the host for your Bucharest server - has been involved in similar activities. Please see the article that I've linked below.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/716/voxility-data-center/p1

Have you heard anything about this, and can you tell me how it affects AirVPN's server in Bucharest? Also, if this is a repeated occurrence in data centres where VPN servers are hosted, doesn't it render irrelevant the VPN providers' promises not to log users' activities?

Thanks for your time.

Hello!

In case of any suspicion of any kind, or anyway in case of critical data transmissions, perform partition of trust, so that you can defeat such an adversary and even more powerful adversaries. End-to-end encryption should be used as well, so that the partition of trust protects your anonymity layer, and end-to-end encryption protects your data to/from the VPN server from/to the final origin/destination. The problem of adversaries capable to wiretap not only single servers, but also large network segments have been taken into consideration even before AirVPN was founded, and for the anonymity layer the solution that was and is still proposed as highly effective is partition of trust according to some precise characteristics.

https://airvpn.org/topic/54-using-airvpn-over-tor/?do=findComment&comment=1745

Kind regards