Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.136.165
Sign in to follow this  
spocko123

Amazing Service!

Hello!

I'm an old user of AIRVPN, and i'm glad to be back. I'm also glad to see 1000+ users on now That is incredible.

Keep up the good work <3

I agree. AirVPN is an great service. I hope it sets a standard. Most VPN services are pretty much useless.

Thank you to the AirVPN staff and management for their attention to detail and efforts to build a service that truly addresses the needs of their clients. This is unfortunately a rare thing these days.

One thing that I would like though, is the ability to have a fixed local IP address (10.4.?.?), chosen in a fashion similar to the way forwarded ports are chosen. I would even pay a bit more for this. I believe OpenVPN can have a "per client" configuration file on the server? I realize that lot more code would have to be set up for a user interface and to configure the OpenVPN servers , and monitor them to be sure everything stays in sync. And there may not be many others clients here who see the use for this.

I will explain why I would like this, in case anyone else on this forum wants to add their support.

I just use VPN interface for torrent clients, because I cannot stream video from some sites in my own country over the VPN. My on-line banking, IMAP (E-mail service) et al often get worried and harass me when my geo location changes dramatically.

To do this I override the "0.0.0.0/128.0.0.0" and "128.0.0.0/128.0.0.0" routing table entries set up by the OpenVPN client with "0.0.0.0/192.0.0.0", "64.0.0.0/192.0.0.0", "128.0.0.0/192.0.0.0" and "192.0.0.0/192.0.0.0" entries to use my normal gateway for most activities. I have two .bat files that let me quickly insert or delete these in order to use the VPN for web browsing when I want to.

I also then need to tell my torrent clients (4 instances of uTorrent 2.2.1 and a couple of instances of Vuze 4.8.0.0) to use the VPN interface. For Vuze I can specify the interface. But for uTorrent I have to specify the IP address.

So long as I continue to use the same AirVPN server, since my DHCP license is for a year I do not need to change the uTorrent configurations. But every now and then I change the AirVPN server, and have to wip through changing the IP addresses for uTorrent. This is not a lot of work. AirVPN is a great service! And this is very picky of me. But still, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". And since the AirVPN guys seem to be seeking perfection, I thought I would take this opportunity to squeak.

On Linux, I do a similar approach as you, but on Windows you can just:

Download and install a program called ForceBindIP (http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/).

Create a shortcut to your applications in the following manner:

c:\windows\SysWOW64\ForceBindIP.exe X.X.X.X "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
c:\windows\SysWOW64\ForceBindIP.exe X.X.X.X "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

X.X.X.X is your computers IP on the adapter. 192.168.10.231 for me for instance.

With using ForceBindIP, it iinjects a new library into the application and adjusts the packet headers.

All traffic will be VPN'd except the applications you want not to be.

I prefer it that way personally.

I have a few applications that I like to have multiple connections and only not VPN some connections. Some teamspeak servers, I want direct connection, while others I want routed over the VPN.

For these cases, I do manual persistent routing rules.

ex

route -p add Y.Y.Y.Y mask 255.255.255.255 X.X.X.X

Where X.X.X.X is the gateway (192.168.10.1 for me)

and Y.Y.Y.Y is the IP of the host you want to not go over the VPN.

If I remember correctly, ForceBindIP will work with utorrent, but I am not sure I would trust it with that.

Yes amazing service starts with a 96ms ping that bloats to 830ms after say 10 minutes forcing the user to switch servers while the forum admins cherry pick posts like this praising this crap while not even allowing any kind of post that is critical. Talk about a insecure bunch, lmao.

Would be all fine and dandy if the servers did not take a dump every 10 minutes.

Hello!

I'm an old user of AIRVPN, and i'm glad to be back. I'm also glad to see 1000+ users on now That is incredible.

Keep up the good work <3

Let me guess you work for Airvpn, lol.

I gave ForceBindIP a try. On Windows 7 64 bit. uTorrent 2.2.1 is a 32 bit application so I thought there was some hope. Although this is not of great importance to me, after your reply (thanks for that), I thought I should see if it could be useful and report back here.

It conflicts with the uTorrent "/recover" command-line argument, which is used to run multiple uTorrent instances. It appears to just be ignored. I expect that if it had worked, I would have then had to reconfigure my Windows firewall setup to block ForceBindIP.exe from using my normal gateway (in case the VPN fails). And who knows if this would have been possible. Windows firewall is not very flexible. I have been able to it get it to work well enough for my limited purposes, but its limitations are very clear. This may have been more work than it was worth to me.

It seems clear that ForceBindIP is no longer being updated (e.g. for 64 bit) or supported.

But then given the disastrous releases of uTorrent since 2.2.1, a lot of people think that uTorrent is not really supported any more. And it is closed source! I have thought about trying to migrate to something else anyway. Some features of uTorrent up to 2.2.1 are very useful (and reliable, unlike later releases), and do not seem to be available in other torrent clients. And a conversion to a new client would be a lot of work, if I want to continue seeding all of the stuff I have am now. Sigh.

Hello!

I'm an old user of AIRVPN, and i'm glad to be back. I'm also glad to see 1000+ users on now :D That is incredible.

Keep up the good work

Let me guess you work for Airvpn, lol.

Hello!

Wrong guess, he/she does not, LOL.

Kind regards

As for ForceBindIP, I really would not use it for torrents, but the opposite.

UTorrent should use a firewall like Comodo to enforce it to be on the VPN.

For other applications like Firefox/Chrome/Thunderbird, use ForceBindIP to use your real IP. (Banking, Shopping, Email)

I have had luck with most applications on 64bit Win 7 and 64bit Win 8 and ForceBindIP. There are likely not too many updates needed as it hooks a common API and detours a few functions to rewrite headers.

You may also need to use the -i parameter to have it wait before injecting.

I do not have a solution for passing parameters to the exe.

If you were on Linux I would suggest IP Namespace jails for users and groups and just run your torrent programs as those users.

I'm happy with AirVPN too all in all. Sure, there are some problems occasionally and I'm not getting the best speeds possible, but that's not their fault. I think the Air team does very well, trying to help with all important matters, adding servers and keeping them running.

Thanks a lot for all your efforts!

Found this topic, but i cant get forcebind to work with firefox.

I'd like to have all traffic over vpn except regular browsing by firefox or other browser.

Im using w7 64bit home. Im connected by w-lan.

Could some please help me with a step-by-step instruction? im not really cclever when its comes to network stuff :-)

I installed forcebind and it is in the right place. I use this phrase as admin:

c:\windows\SysWOW64\ForceBindIP.exe -i 192.168.x.x "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

Firefox pops up, but i still got the AirVPN IP.

Do i have to run forcebind before i start AirVPN Client?

Please help : )

I'm having the same problem but am wondering if something has changed lately on AirVPN. I had forcebindip working great with both Miranda instant messenger and a version of the Iron browser. Suddenly today I checked my IP while on Iron and from the VPN and it wasn't bound any longer. I had it bound in a bat. file to the adapter not the IP.

I'm wondering why it suddenly won't work any longer?

You can get the adapter from doing "ipconfig/all" from a command prompt. Also make sure you have forcebindIP in the syswow64 folder if you're using Windows 7 64bit. But none of that explains why mine isn't working any longer.

I just made a text file with the following then renamed it as a .bat file to run it

@ECHO OFF

forcebindip {B4CEEE6B-FFCB-414B-8CED-212331DD28C5} E:\Programs\Ironportable\IronPortable.exe

I'm having the same problem but am wondering if something has changed lately on AirVPN. I had forcebindip working great with both Miranda instant messenger and a version of the Iron browser. Suddenly today I checked my IP while on Iron and from the VPN and it wasn't bound any longer. I had it bound in a bat. file to the adapter not the IP.

I'm wondering why it suddenly won't work any longer?

You can get the adapter from doing "ipconfig/all" from a command prompt. Also make sure you have forcebindIP in the syswow64 folder if you're using Windows 7 64bit. But none of that explains why mine isn't working any longer.

I just made a text file with the following then renamed it as a .bat file to run it

@ECHO OFF

forcebindip {B4CEEE6B-FFCB-414B-8CED-212331DD28C5} E:\Programs\Ironportable\IronPortable.exe

Hello!

According to some reports, ForceBindIP does not work anymore on Windows 7 64 bit after latest updates, but you might solve the issue by disabling UAC.

Also, please check here:

http://john.jhw.co.za/?p=161

Kind regards

Thanks for the tip. That would explain it. All the new updates that just came in lately. I already have UAC turned off and that is having no effect.

Are there any other methods to have a browser bypass the vpn? I know I could edit the routing table for specific sites but It was a lot handier being able to just use a particular browser when I needed to.

Thanks for the tip. That would explain it. All the new updates that just came in lately. I already have UAC turned off and that is having no effect.

Are there any other methods to have a browser bypass the vpn? I know I could edit the routing table for specific sites but It was a lot handier being able to just use a particular browser when I needed to.

Hello!

We could manage to solve the problem on a Windows 7 64 bit system by disabling UAC and running ForceBindIP from a command prompt launched with administrator privileges. Hopefully this will work in your system too.

Kind regards

Hmm, I tried that but it still comes up with the same IP as the VPN when I go to the "what's my ip" site.

I have UAC turned off. I right click on the command prompt and choose "run as administrator" then type in

c:\windows\syswow64\forcebindip {B4CFEE6B-FFCB-414B-8DED-212331ED28C5} "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRWare Iron\ironportable.exe"

I also tried 192.168.1.5 in place of the adapter's code. My machine is 5 on the LAN. The Iron browser does launch but it still shows the VPN IP not my real one.

It's worked great for months so windows must have changed something.