Not connected, Your IP: 3.89.56.228
Sign in to follow this  
sinister93

VPN with Tor using Whonix

Hi, I am very new to using VPNs (not Tor though), however, instead of using the tor bundle for my operating system (OSX) I use Whonix which is a virtual operating system built for tor. I connect to airvpn using OSX, but when I connect to tor with whonix, I am not sure if I am using the VPN correctly. Essentially I am trying to do user > VPN > Tor I suppose, but I'm not sure which network I am connecting to in whonix. As far as I know whonix is linux based, and I am not very familiar with linux.

Has anyone used whonix before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am still very new to Linux and Whonix also,   one thing you can do is while running Whonix is to run Tor browser and remember the new Tor IP and log on to this AirVPN site.  See what is listed at the bottom or Airvpn.org where it usually reports Green connected button,  it should be Red and say you are not connected!  and it should list your Tor IP number instead.

If you want you can log into AirVPN client area and see where it says "We see your connection coming from" at bottom,   it should report your original ISP IP address there.

This is called Tor over AirVPN [EDIT by Staff: No, the link below refers to AirVPN over TOR]

https://airvpn.org/tor/

From what I can see everyone on here is suggesting to NOT use this,  it is recommended to use AirVPN with Tor,  this gives better additional Privacy ie AirVPN provider can NOT see your real ISP IP in case there raided or they tell on you (which from whats been said has never happen and ever will ! )

But the options there none the less,   other benefits include Tor privacy and security although not 100% clued up on those,  but they maybe important !

I have posted this question up :

https://airvpn.org/topic/9923-tor-over-airvpn-vs-airvpn-with-tor/

Since I would like to know which is best and safer and more private to use....

maybe worth checking out or if someone else better advises of what to do !  As always I would be cautious,  best to research  and understand the setups and what is going on before leaping !