Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.147.58
Sign in to follow this  
labatt

identifying normal wireshark traffic while using AIRVPN and detecting physical wiretaps

Hi, everyone. First time poster, and a relatively new user of AirVPN. I have three questions here.

1. Is the traffic of my screenshot I posted consistent with what traffic should look like while connected to an AirVPN server? All my traffic is coming from   Port: 65443" and "https". When I follow the UDP stream the traffic is encrypted.

2. How would one detect a physical wiretap? My ISP has been acting suspicious lately since I started using VPN services. Unexpected visits, about four in three weekswith no legit explanation. Just them fiddling with my junction box when there has been no problems.

3. Can an ISP/government wiretap you just for using a VPN? I have not done, nor am I doing anything illegal, so I am not worried about legal trouble. However, I have been using different VPNs for roughly six months lately. Would using a VPN all the time make someone a "person of interest". After the NSA information that was recently leaked, I am not so sure anymore.

Thanks for all the help.

Hello!

1. Perfectly consistent.

2. Normally it's not possible. This is one of the most common reasons for which our service is used: it does not matter if an adversary wiretaps any point between your computer and our servers, he/she can't do anything with the captured traffic (no analysis, no decryption, no injection of forged packets are possible). It's very important, however, that your computer is not compromised. Keyloggers, spyware etc. obviously render any encryption layer useless.

3. Normally not, VPNs are used nowadays by any small and big company, it's a perfectly normal usage.

Kind regards

If someone wanted to wiretap you, they would have to do it directly in your home before any connections left your router. Unless you think that's the case then you have nothing to worry about.