Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.173.165
Sign in to follow this  
snoodlehouse

ANSWERED Am I getting a reasonable speed?

Hello,

I just signed up for the service last week. I'm not really sure what my expectations should be. I have a 30mbs cable modem service. Generally I can expect sustained downloads around 2 megabytes/s.

I'm in the US and connecting to US VPN servers. Currently I tend to get around 300 - 700 kilobytes a second. Is this about what I should expect? 

I suppose I can accept those speeds if I have to. They seem OK for general browsing and video streaming. But if most people with comparable connections are getting better speeds, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best performance I can.

Hello!

Maybe not, please try to connect to port 53 UDP and port 80 TCP and compare the performance.

Kind regards

You should be getting much better than that.  If I am reading your post you have a 30 meg cable line and only get downloads of 2?  Is that the performance from before you connect to Airvpn?  Then you connect and get 300-700 KB?  Something is not as it should be.

I am on a 30 meg connection right now and if I went to a USA server I would see minimum 10 meg and often around 14-15 meg all day long.

I may be misreading your original post.  If you have a 30 meg line you should be getting so much more than 2.  I am just the opposite here.  On 30 meg they fire down 40-45 all the time.  I am in the US as well.

Yeah, I'll stick to Mbs to avoid confusion

My connection is advertised as being 30 Mbs down and 10 Mbs up. I'm Doing this speed test to keep it consistent.

With the VPN, I get 4.7 Mbs down and 8 Mbs up.

Without the VPN, I get 31 Mbs down and 9 Mbs up.

These numbers seem faster than my day-to-day experience, but are in the same ballpark.

Also, Staff

How would I try to see the difference between UDP 53 and TCP 80. I assume TCP on port 80 would be a regular web download. But I don't know what would use the other.

Also, Staff

How would I try to see the difference between UDP 53 and TCP 80. I assume TCP on port 80 would be a regular web download. But I don't know what would use the other.

Hello!

They are some of our OpenVPN servers connection ports, please see here:

https://airvpn.org/faq/udp_vs_tcp

In case your ISP performs port shaping (i.e. caps bandwidth on some outbound ports) you will see different performances on different ports. Once your system is connected to a VPN server, all its traffic comes and go from/to the same port regardless of protocol, application, source and destination, do not confuse those ports with ports "used" by your applications, which remains specified in the underlying "real" encrypted packets headers.

Kind regards

Thanks. 

I re-generated a config file using port 53 rather than 443. My download is now 15-25 Mbs and my upload is 8-9 Mbs.

Switching back to 443 is consistently 3-6 Mbs.

So it appears my ISP (Comcast) is throttling port 443.

You guys are super-helpful. It's rare to get this level of service.