Not connected, Your IP: 18.225.149.32
Sign in to follow this  
McLoEa

[SOLVED] TAP Windows adapter V9

Hi,

When I install AirVPN on to a Windows XP machine I see a network connection TAP Windows adaptor V9 which I believe is the connection that the VPN client uses when it connects to the internet.

All good but when I do log in on an XP machine I see in Properties for the TAP Windows adaptor V9 that the speed is limited to 10mbs.

Is there anything I can do to improve these speeds please,I have tried un-installing and re-installing AirVPN to see if it was an install issue but nothing changed and 10mbs is just too slow to be able to use and I was hoping to have my AirVPN client working full time on this machine.

Regards,

McLoEa

Hello!

That adapter is the virtual network card (the tun/tap interface) used by OpenVPN and it is strictly necessary. The 10 Mbit/s limit you see is just a bogus hard-coded value which has no significance at all.

Kind regards

AirVPN Support Team

Hello,

could there be any other reason I can investigate as to why I'm getting such an atrocious performance from a Windows XP machine?

I can log on upstairs with my Win7 machine and get 15Mbps download then log off and log on downstairs and only get 0.6Mbps download speed.

The XP machine is connected to the internet through a network switch where my main Windows 7 machine plugs directly into the router here,do you think that may have something to do with it?

Thanks

Hello!

Difficult to say, in order to rule out or confirm that the switch is the "weak chain ring", would you be able to connect the XP machine directly to the router, just momentarily for a comparison test?

Kind regards

Hi again,

I think the heavy loss of bandwidth was due to me downloading a Bitcoin client at that time,that's a P2P protocol and I think it could have choked up my bandwidth a bit.

I've not had a chance to test further but on first appearances that seems to have been the culprit.

Regards

Hello!

We can confirm that (since we accept Bitcoin payments, we know the system): on ADSLs the Bitcoin client can sometimes saturate the upload bandwidth, "choking" the download bandwidth as well as a consequence.

Kind regards

Hi,

I'm on a fibre optic network connection but inside the property I run an ethernet system with standard cabling and switches so do you think I would be open to that happening and if so is there any action I can take to alleviate it or to stop it from happening again?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I'm on a fibre optic network connection but inside the property I run an ethernet system with standard cabling and switches so do you think I would be open to that happening and if so is there any action I can take to alleviate it or to stop it from happening again?

Many thanks.

Hello!

We amend our previous post, the problem can arise also on symmetric lines. It has been under discussion since two years ago:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/273

As you can see there's no easy agreement on the issue.

Kind regards

Thanks,

so it looks like until the developers add a method of limiting P2P traffic into the client itself a managed switch to your bitcoin client is advised.

Regards