Not connected, Your IP: 34.234.83.135
Staff

Development of OS X AirVPN Client

Hello!

We're glad to announce that we are working on a new AirVPN Client, that will be available for Windows, Linux, OS X and maybe (lower priority) for Android and iOS.

The objective is a user-friendly graphical wrapper that installs, upgrades, configures and manages the necessary third-party software (including OpenVPN software, TUN/TAP drivers, DNS scripts, etc) for as many platforms as possible.

Our AirVPN Client 2.0 (codename Eddie) will be released under GPL, and of course needs to be bundled only with Open Source third-party software.

We are doing some platform tests, to collect the necessary things to be bundled in our future client.

We wish to share with the community our work in progress.

---------------------------
OS X Experimental package:

https://airvpn.org/repository/experimental/osx.tar.gz

It contains a file "tuntap.pkg", a kext driver TUN/TAP package, which needs to be installed. Derived from this project: http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/
Hold down the CTRL button and click on the "tuntap.pkg". You should now see a contextual menu appear where you will need to click on the Open option.
Without the "CTRL", OS X Gatekeeper hides the "Open" item because it's an untrusted (for Apple) source.

Our package contains also a binary build of OpenVPN 2.3.1. It runs without dependencies on Mountain Lion, currently untested in previous OS X version.

Download our .ovpn configuration files from our generator and put them at the same level of "openvpn".

Launch with:

sudo ./openvpn myconfig.ovpn

Known caveat:
- By default, navigation does not work. There are issues with DNS.
We tested different up-down scripts, without a definitive solution until now: many scripts are too old for Mountain Lion (our testing platform), or too-specific to third-party tools (ex. Tunnelblick scripts).

As an effective workaround, at the moment you can list your services with:

networksetup -listallnetworkservices

and launch

sudo networksetup -setdnsservers <service_name> 10.4.0.1 8.8.8.8

for example

sudo networksetup -setdnsservers Ethernet 10.4.0.1 8.8.8.8

to permanently set our internal VPN DNS as primary nameserver, and Google DNS as secondary server.

If you can send a feedback, it will be more than welcome. Please remember to specify your exact OS version.

Kind regards

That was fast, do you guys ever sleep? This is fantastic news for people who use OS X. Keep up the good work.

Looking forward to it as well.  Currently using Tunnelblick 3.3beta21b (build 3114.3185)  -  OpenVPN 2.3-alpha1 and downloading .ovpn configuration files from your generator on OS X 10.8.3.  It works great but a native OS X/iOS client would be icing on the cake:)  Keep up the awesome work!

I receive this error sudo: ./openvpn: command not found

can you please help me?

@ciub

Hello,

make sure that your current directory includes openvpn executable file and .ovpn configuration files (generated by our Configuration Generator), or that openvpn executable is in the path.

In order to change current directory, use the command cd, for example:

cd "name_of_the_directory_where_you_have_openvpn_and_configuration_files"

Kind regards

hello!

ok I have exracted the VPN client in a directory called 'build' in which I have the .ovpn file, the openvpn (both download through your config) and the package file. is that correct?

doing cd_build nothing happens, what should I do?

hello!

ok I have exracted the VPN client in a directory called 'build' in which I have the .ovpn file, the openvpn (both download through your config) and the package file. is that correct?

doing cd_build nothing happens, what should I do?

Hello,

what is cd_build?

If you refer to command cd, cd is a built-in bash command, and an example of its syntax is:

cd [dir]

where dir is the directory you wish to make the current directory.

Kind regards

ok guys please help me

I downloaded the package in the first post, so I had a new folder on my desktop called 'build'. inside 2 files openvpn and tuntap.pkg which I have installed

now, i have download the config file as zip one, inside an. ovpn file and openvpn

question. should I copy and paste these files in the 'build' folder? where should i put the files with your config?

i don't understand this passage

Download our .ovpn configuration files from our generator and put them at the same level of "openvpn".

Hi...

Am new here. I just subscribed fo airvpn and i'll be glad if you can help me with the configuration.

I use macbook pro OS 10.7.5

Using Max OSX version 10.7.5 works wonderfully. Only problem was a slight period of having no DNS, but this was fixed after a 'Restart pause' in the openvpn terminal screen that came after around 5 seconds from the initial starting of openvpn.

Other than that its it leaked my DNS but i am sure that's a problem on my side.

Hi...

Am new here. I just subscribed fo airvpn and i'll be glad if you can help me with the configuration.

I use macbook pro OS 10.7.5

Welcome. I usually use Win 7 on my MacBook Pro but I have it working on 10.6.x as well.

I haven't tried the AirVPN client.

I used tunnelblick (probably not as straightforward) from this page:

https://airvpn.org/macosx/

If you try tunnelblick and run into a problem this thread might be a good place to post:

https://airvpn.org/topic/124-use-airvpn-with-mac/page-3

It took a little work but runs great. Actually, the speed on my OS X boot is faster than Win 7.

Usually twice as fast both up and down.

I am using Mavericks OSX 10.9.1.

Downloaded the tar and extracted.  Ran tuntap.pkg but it failed when trying to validate the packages.  The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail.

Anyone out there to help me?  I am using tunnelblick successfully so it is not an urgent need but am trying to provide feedback on the development.

hello all,

tuntap.pkg failed when trying to validate the package. Im running Mavericks 10.9.2., Tunnelblick works great.

Regards,

Solex1

Hi, Just signed up and very impressed with the speed and performance of your service, many thanks! I wondered if there was any update on when the OSX client would be released? 

Hi,

Eddie for Windows and Linux (in beta version) has been released, Eddie for OS X (in beta version) could be out at the end of May.

Kind regards

why all this complication? OSX has a VPN facility.  all I should need to do is enter in your vpn server name and my credentials and presto! I have a VPN connection.

incidentally, I've looked everywhere on your site for the information I would need to set up the vpn and cannot find it.  how am I supposed to connect to your service??

why all this complication? OSX has a VPN facility.  all I should need to do is enter in your vpn server name and my credentials and presto! I have a VPN connection.

Hello!

OS X does not have built-in OpenVPN support. You need OpenVPN (which is free and open source) because our service is based on OpenVPN. We based our choice on security and openness reasons. For various reasons, we can't trust PPTP or IPsec.

incidentally, I've looked everywhere on your site for the information I would need to set up the vpn and cannot find it.  how am I supposed to connect to your service??

As specified in the welcome e-mail, instructions for supported systems are all available by clicking "Enter" from the upper menu of our web site. Instructions for OS X are available by clicking "Enter" and then clicking the "OS X" icon.

Incidentally, we are going to release in the next hours a dedicated client for OS X, "Eddie", an OpenVPN wrapper with a nice GUI (Eddie is free and open source as well).

Kind regards

Hi there!

First, thank you for working on the OSX client!

I'm on OSX 10.7.5, and after installation the client gives an error "OpenVPN not found". What might be the problem?

Hello,

I have attempted to download version 2.3 for Mao OS X without success.  The .tar.gz bundle downloads find.  Decompressing the file (either by double clicking or using the command line - gunzip and tar xvf) gives me the AirVPN app.   However when I double click to start it I get a Mac OS X message telling me the app is "damaged" and recommending that I move it to the trash.

One additional piece of information:   the Mac finder window reports the app as being version 2.2 instead of 2.3.

I'm using OS X 10.8.5 on a 2011 27" iMac.  The download was via Firefox.

Is any help available with this?

Thanks.

Hello!

Your posts will be read soon by Eddie programmer. Here we just want to underline that Eddie is developed for Mavericks only (upgrade to Mavericks is free).

Kind regards