Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.188.80
Sign in to follow this  
Evenstar

Help with port forwarding for uTorrent/Tixati

Hi

I've been using your service for a long time now and am very very happy with it. I've been using it with uTorrent and it has been working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I just upgraded uTorrent and I think some settings have gotten changed, because now my speeds are terrible. I've also tried Tixati, also terrible speeds. I'm trying to get it all set up correctly but I can't remember what I did originally.

So far, the only way I have been able to get good speeds again is to do the following:

1. Forward a port in AirVPN

2. Use that port as my listening port in uTorrent

3. Enable UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping in uTorrent

However, I got the impression reading these forums that you shouldn't do that, you should either forward a port OR enable UPnP, not both. Is this true and if so why?

Strangely, I did the exact same thing in Trixati but still have bad speeds.

Also, do I not need to forward any ports on my router at all? I gather not, just want to check.

Thanks heaps.

Hello!

Using NAT "punching functions" in uTorrent effectively makes remote port forwarding superfluous. uTorrent is perfectly capable to "punch" our p2p-friendly NAT in a short time.

You're right, you must not forward ports in your router.

Kind regards

Thank you!

So if for some strange reason I am getting better speeds by using BOTH port forwarding and uPnP, it's ok to do that? As in I understand it should be superfluous, but it isn't a problem security-wise or anything is it?

Thank you!

So if for some strange reason I am getting better speeds by using BOTH port forwarding and uPnP, it's ok to do that? As in I understand it should be superfluous, but it isn't a problem security-wise or anything is it?

Hello!

No, there's no security problem.

Kind regards