Not connected, Your IP: 3.16.137.107
Sign in to follow this  
roland

AirVPN - Ubuntu Server

Hello,

I'm giving Air VPN a try. I am looking to set up an openVPN connection on my home media server running Ubunutu Server 12.04 (no GUI all CLI over SSH). I am a bit lost after downloading required dependencies and airVPN configuration file. I was wondering if someone could help with directions on how to configure via commandline only? I ultimately was thinking to use iptables to route only traffic from transmission over the VPN (I guess this wouldn't be necessary if the server could still be reached over the public ISP provided IP address?) Any help would be appreciated!

FRITZ|FRITZ

Hello,

I'm giving Air VPN a try. I am looking to set up an openVPN connection on my home media server running Ubunutu Server 12.04 (no GUI all CLI over SSH). I am a bit lost after downloading required dependencies and airVPN configuration file. I was wondering if someone could help with directions on how to configure via commandline only? I ultimately was thinking to use iptables to route only traffic from transmission over the VPN (I guess this wouldn't be necessary if the server could still be reached over the public ISP provided IP address?) Any help would be appreciated!

FRITZ|FRITZ

Hello!

Normally you just need to connect your server to an Air VPN server with OpenVPN. OpenVPN will take care of routing table and default gateway and all applications will be tunneled transparently.

Just connect (you might like to do that from inside a "screen", to avoid that when you disconnect from ssh the sessios is lost and OpenVPN stopped) launching OpenVPN with the configuration file you prefer (see also https://airvpn.org/linux ).

Kind regards

The guide you link to specifically covers a setup of openvpn with a gui. It does not have instructions for configuring networkmanager via terminal. I am going to attempt to configure it over ssh.

There are a few questions I have about VPNs. Essentially from what I understand I am looking to achieve a split tunnel. I only want traffic from transmission to travel over the vpn. I still want the computer to be accessible over the LAN by it's local IP address. Do you have any guidance on what terminal commands I need to issue to accomplish this?

Thanks,

FRITZ|FRITZ

The guide you link to specifically covers a setup of openvpn with a gui. It does not have instructions for configuring networkmanager via terminal. I am going to attempt to configure it over ssh.

Hello!

Probably you missed the section about command lines in the instructions. Just launch OpenVPN directly (from inside a screen) and forget network-manager which needs a graphical environment.

There are a few questions I have about VPNs. Essentially from what I understand I am looking to achieve a split tunnel. I only want traffic from transmission to travel over the vpn. I still want the computer to be accessible over the LAN by it's local IP address. Do you have any guidance on what terminal commands I need to issue to accomplish this?

Traffic splitting on application basis is not supported by OpenVPN. Please see here for alternative solutions:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=5724&Itemid=142#5732

Kind regards