Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.42.39
Sign in to follow this  
mehere_athome

I'm confused and concerned about your service.

OK, I'm no guru, but I know what the cupholder is for. Please turn me around if I have this bakards.

I thought you guys big thing was supposed to be privacy and no tracking?

I bought a 30 day suscription to your service to try it out. I used my dedicated banking virtual machine to subscribe to the service and the web site and to make the payment. All that went well.

However, now I cannot log in to your web site using neither my web surfing VM nor my hardware machine. As I know that all of the requests are originating from the same IP address the only way I can see that working is if you've attached a MAC address to my account. That raises a great many concerns; Tracking, legal, ethical, etc: 1) Tracking is obvious. 2) Legal: do I need to worry about my MAC being given out to the authorities if someone who doesn't what the cupholder is for decides I've been a bad kid? 3) Ethical: You say you don't track?

If the MAC being attached to the account is the case this will also cause no end of technical headaches for me. I have a beast of a machine and an extensive library of VMs configurable in thousands of ways within a drag and drop network all-in-one box. I need to be able to log in from whatever MAC I happen to be behind at the time.

Last, but not least, this site won't let you post to the forums without a java script powered captcha from google.

So, why am I even bothering to subcribe to a VPN then? You say in your terms of service that you cannot be held liable if we leak information.

That being the case why would you expose us to software (js) on your forums that has the potential to cut through all security measures and retrieve info about the machine and its true network location from the absolute friggin biggest gubermant, big brotherish, snooper buthead and tracker supreme on the whole dang planet?

OK, I'm no guru, but I know what the cupholder is for. Please turn me around if I have this bakards.

I thought you guys big thing was supposed to be privacy and no tracking?

I bought a 30 day suscription to your service to try it out. I used my dedicated banking virtual machine to subscribe to the service and the web site and to make the payment. All that went well.

Hello!

Thank you for your subscription!

However, now I cannot log in to your web site using neither my web surfing VM nor my hardware machine. As I know that all of the requests are originating from the same IP address the only way I can see that working is if you've attached a MAC address to my account. That raises a great many concerns; Tracking, legal, ethical, etc: 1) Tracking is obvious. 2) Legal: do I need to worry about my MAC being given out to the authorities if someone who doesn't what the cupholder is for decides I've been a bad kid? 3) Ethical: You say you don't track?

No, we don't track at all, your assumptions are wrong.

Also, and more importantly, are you aware that your network cards MAC address never gets out of your internal network? The MAC address of your computer network interface is simply NOT included in IPv4 packets, so it is lost just after the first router, for example.

That said, it remains to be seen why you can't access the web site. Clearly you could in this case, because you wrote this post successfully. The only three things this admin can think of in this moment are:

- that you have one or more infected machines launching attacks against the web site. We undergo several DDoS and flood attacks almost every day, and the firewall blacklists momentarily IP addresses from which these attacks originate (if possible and if it is able to understand that an attack is ongoing)

- you run some software that is actively blocking airvpn.org

- your ISP is actively blocking airvpn.org

If the MAC being attached to the account is the case this will also cause no end of technical headaches for me. I have a beast of a machine and an extensive library of VMs configurable in thousands of ways within a drag and drop network all-in-one box. I need to be able to log in from whatever MAC I happen to be behind at the time.

Of course, but as it was written above, "your" MAC addresses never gets out of your internal network, so you can save yourself some work.

Last, but not least, this site won't let you post to the forums without a java script powered captcha from google.

So, why am I even bothering to subcribe to a VPN then? You say in your terms of service that you cannot be held liable if we leak information.

That being the case why would you expose us to software (js) on your forums that has the potential to cut through all security measures and retrieve info about the machine and its true network location from the absolute friggin biggest gubermant, big brotherish, snooper buthead and tracker supreme on the whole dang planet?

Are you really convinced of what you're saying here?! Because if you really are, there's no point in discussing, just don't post in the forum, or don't post when you are not behind TOR or the VPN. Support is available in the "Contact us" form or simply write directly to info@airvpn.org (please include your account name in this case).

Kind regards

Obviously a Troll, aimed at trying to discredit Air, all i can say is who cares what this clown has to say

mehere_athome's notion that Air can somehow know his MAC (media access control, layer 2, Ethernet, or hardware) address- which is local to his premises until his initial gateway- is ridiculous. His confusion and concern stem entirely from his complete lack of understanding of how data communications work. I don't know what else to say. He is simply WRONG.

FWIW: I have connected to the net via AirVPN from 2 x separate PCs (LAN) and a VM running variously:- Xp, Win7 & Ubuntu.

As expected I can only use my account in a single instance - so maybe this chap should again try and explain his dilemma ...