Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.154.171
Sign in to follow this  
thebeat

restrict the traffic to air vpn while using utorrent(norton 360)

Hi There,

just got 1 year subscription today. I'm using Norton 360 at the moment (i know you don't recommend it but i already paid) and i would like to know how to restrict the traffic to air vpn while using utorrent? If possible in plain English as i'm not a technical person.

Thanks in advance.

Hi There,

just got 1 year subscription today. I'm using Norton 360 at the moment (i know you don't recommend it but i already paid) and i would like to know how to restrict the traffic to air vpn while using utorrent? If possible in plain English as i'm not a technical person.

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Thank you for your subscription.

You can achieve your purpose with a single "program rule" applied to utorrent.exe.

See here for details:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v1028140_NIS_Retail_2012_en_us

The rule to insert (in Comodo format) is

Block IP Out From IP Not In [10.4.0.0 - 10.9.255.255] To MAC Any Where Protocol Is Any

In plain english, it means that all IPv4 packets coming from uTorrent outside the tunnel must be dropped, regardless of the destination ("MAC Any" in Comodo means every possible IP address). The IP range from 10.4.0.0 to 10.9.255.255 is the whole IP range of the virtual private network (except when you connect to port 2018, but let's leave this apart momentarily for simplicity sake, just do not connect to port 2018).

The rule must be translated into a format acceptable by Norton, presumably the Norton customer support can do that in a matter of seconds (feel free to send them this message and the link https://airvpn.org/specs for further tech details).

Kind regards

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. I understand that i have to create a rule for Norton to "force my vpn connection when using utorrent(and to disconnect if the connection is lost) however i'm not sure i feel comfortable to share with them what i'm gonna do with my vpn.. They got my name and everything on file.. you never know.. So there is any work around for this? Maybe some other user that using 360 can help me to translate the rule?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. I understand that i have to create a rule for Norton to "force my vpn connection when using utorrent(and to disconnect if the connection is lost) however i'm not sure i feel comfortable to share with them what i'm gonna do with my vpn.. They got my name and everything on file.. you never know.. So there is any work around for this? Maybe some other user that using 360 can help me to translate the rule?

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Probably the best work-around is reading the Norton firewall manual.

We'll do that and come back to you with the rule soon (if it's possible with Norton to translate that obviously). In the meantime, of course, any Norton customer can post an answer in this thread.

Kind regards

Hi there,

i don't mean to be pushy, but were able to figure out how to make the rule for Norton 360? I really need to use the VPN asap ;-)

Many thanks in advance!

Hi there,

i don't mean to be pushy, but were able to figure out how to make the rule for Norton 360? I really need to use the VPN asap ;-)

Many thanks in advance!

Hello!

Please see here for general instructions on how to add a program rule:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v1028140_NIS_Retail_2012_en_us

See here to use the Add Rule Wizard:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v1028179_NIS_OEM_2012_en_us?q=rule+wizard

Determine your subnet IP range (in most cases something like 192.168.0.0/16).

The parameters you need to instruct the Rule Wizard to create rule that blocks utorrent.exe packets when the computer is not connected to the VPN are:

- program: utorrent.exe (locate it, the full path is needed)

- type of rule: Block

- type of connection: Connection to and from other computers

- computers that apply to the rule: Only the computers and sites listed below - and compile the list with every possible IP address that your computer physical network card can have (for example 192.168.0.0/16 which in CIDR notation covers all the addresses from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255)

- protocols for the rule: All

- ports for the rule: All ports, local and remote

Apply the rule and test it carefully before relying on it: when the computer is disconnected from the VPN, uTorrent must not be able to send or receive any packet.

Kind regards

Hi,

thanks for the reply. However I'm not sure i'm following here..

" Determine your subnet IP range"

How would i do that?

"computers that apply to the rule: Only the computers and sites listed below - and compile the list with every possible IP address that your computer physical network card can have (for example 192.168.0.0/16 which in CIDR notation covers all the addresses from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255)"

You really lost me there.. I have no idea what that means.

Apply the rule and test it carefully before relying on it: when the computer is disconnected from the VPN, uTorrent must not be able to send or receive any packet.

How would i know that my computer is not "redialing" my standard internet connection when my vpn drops?

Don't get me wrong here, you've been very helpful and always reply very quickly.. but i think that this is getting a little too technical for me.. I thought it was going to be easier.. Could you maybe just send me the rule for me to "copy and paste" into Norton?

Thanks in advance.

Don't get me wrong here, you've been very helpful and always reply very quickly.. but i think that this is getting a little too technical for me.. I thought it was going to be easier.. Could you maybe just send me the rule for me to "copy and paste" into Norton?

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

There's not such an option in Norton as far as we know and anyway it would not be possible, we don't know essential details about your network.

Send us the output of the command "ipconfig /all" which will help us determine your home network IP range.

Anyway the described operations show you, step-by-step, what you have to click and which values you have to enter.

Please refer to Norton manual and to Norton customer service for additional support on Norton Firewall.

Kind regards

Hi there,

i think i(finally) figure out how to set the rule! The last i've got left is to find out my ip range. I actually run the ipconfig /all like you asked.. And took a couple of screenshots.. Where can i send them? I could't find your email address on the website.

Thanks again for your patience and support:-)

Hi there,

i think i(finally) figure out how to set the rule! The last i've got left is to find out my ip range. I actually run the ipconfig /all like you asked.. And took a couple of screenshots.. Where can i send them? I could't find your email address on the website.

Thanks again for your patience and support:-)

Hello!

Please send them to us through the "Contact us" form in the "Support" menu. A screenshot is not really necessary, you can send us (copy & paste) just the textual output if you prefer.

Kind regards

by the way.. Not sure if that's important or not, but i'm using a router(airport extreme) to connect to the internet.. my ISP user id/passowrd are stored in there.. Do i have do anything in addition or it's all good?

by the way.. Not sure if that's important or not, but i'm using a router(airport extreme) to connect to the internet.. my ISP user id/passowrd are stored in there.. Do i have do anything in addition or it's all good?

Hello!

No, you don't need to do anything else. Just test and make sure that Norton Firewall blocks uTorrent when your computer is not connected to the VPN.

Kind regards

Hi there,

I've got in touch with Norton support.. Gotta say it was a bit of a train wreck.. Now i understand why you're NOT recommend it! First of all they asked me (repeatedly) if they could access into my computer to solve the issue.. Really?! I just ask to help me to set rule on a program and all they wanted to it's snoop around my computer after i said several time "NO".. Unbelievable!! Finally, after 30 minutes or so, I've got in touch with the so called "higher support". They took 15 more minutes to figure out that THEIR software accepts ip range.. Goood! So i went ahead put my ip range set everything to block and bam! Norton is reverting the rule to "allow" after i launched utorrrent.. Moral of the story if i disconnect my vpn http://checkmytorrentip.com/ expose my ip..

Admin, any idea on how to fix this..? If not i just go ahead and download comodo.. I might loose 6 months of Norton but after seeing how they value my privacy it might not being such a terrible thing..

Thanks in advance!

Admin, any idea on how to fix this..? If not i just go ahead and download comodo.. I might loose 6 months of Norton but after seeing how they value my privacy it might not being such a terrible thing..

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

Your experience with the Norton customer support sounds terrible. Anyway, can you please make sure that the "Type of rule" that you set in the Norton "Rules Wizard" was set indeed to "Block" value?

Did you receive the e-mail from the support team? Pasting it here just in case it is useful to some other user:

Your physical network interface is

From ipconfig /all, your subnet IP range is either 10.0.0.0->10.0.255.255, 10.0.0.0->10.0.1.255, or 10.0.1.0-->10.0.1.255.

Let's assume it's the first, which covers the second and the third as well (if it's the second or the third, using the first will do no harm).

We don't know the formats in which Norton firewall accepts IP ranges.

If it accepts IP/NetMask CIDR notation, you can use 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0

If it accepts IP/BitMask slash notation, you can use 10.0.0.0/16

If it accepts IP ranges, you can use:

Start: 10.0.0.0

End: 10.0.255.255 [PLEASE NOTE THAT IN THE ORIGINAL E-MAIL THERE WAS A MISTAKE ON THIS ADDRESS]

All of the above notations are equivalent, so just use the one which Norton wants.

Kind regards

Hi,

i got i touch with them with chat support.. so no emails.. But I'm still in shock! All they asked if they could connect with my computer.. They not only didn't respect my privacy and the were rude and unprofessional(to say the least). I sincerely hope that others members of this community can benefit from my bad experience.. Now, regarding my issues:

Norton's "Higher support" told me that their firewall accepts ip ranges.. Indeed, i've found the option, set the range that you gave me with the previous email and i set the rule to block.. I think that even if the range you gave was wrong still it doesn't explain why the rule goes back to allow BY ITSELF when i launch utorrent.. Either i'm getting paranoid or they did something..

Very weird! Anyway i'll try to correct the range and see what happen..

No luck.. No matter what i do Norton is reverting the rule to "allow". I'm getting frustrated with this so i'm getting rid of the 360 firewall and use comodo instead. I just keep the antivirus because I've paid for it but as soon as the subscription expires i'll uninstall all this Norton garbage once for all!

Thanks to admin for trying so hard.

Admin,

one last favor! I finally uninstalled Norton and using Comodo right now(i will probably buy at the end of the trial period), could you please give the rule so i can copy&paste into comodo?

Thanks in advance;-)

Admin,

one last favor! I finally uninstalled Norton and using Comodo right now(i will probably buy at the end of the trial period), could you please give the rule so i can copy&paste into comodo?

Thanks in advance;-)

Hello!

Please see our guide:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have problems at any step. Please take 5 minutes to read the linked Comodo relevant instructions, there are some deep differences from Norton.

Kind regards

Step-By-Step Instruction for using uTorrent with AirVPN and Comodo

I had a hard time using the instructions provided by AirVPN for preventing leaks using uTorrent and the most current version of Comodo, so I pieced together my own system using already existing tutorials on the internet.

Please make corrections if you find errors in my method.

A. Create a network zone, Get the MAC for the TAP-Win adapter

1. (XP) Start / Run and type CMD, press enter

(Win7) Start and type CMD, press enter

2. You should see a black box called a DOS box with a blinking cursor

3. Type IPCONFIG /ALL

4. Look in the section that says TAP-Win32

5. You need the part that says Physical Address . . . . . . 00-??-??-??-??-??

6. Leave this window open for now

B. Create Network Zone for AirVPN

1. In Comodo, goto Tasks / Firewall Tasks / Open Advanced Settings / Network Zones

2. Right-Click / Add / New Network Zone

3. Name it AirVPN (press OK)

4. Select AirVPN

5. Double-Click (add addresses here) / MAC Address

6. Enter the 00-??-??-??-??-?? address from the DOS box

7. Press OK

C. Make a Ruleset

1. Open Rulesets

2. Right-Click / Add

3. Enter a Name, AirVPN

4. Right-Click / Add

Action: Allow

Protocol: IP

Direction: In

Source Address: Any

Destination Address: Network Zone / AirVPN

Click OK

5. Right-Click / Add

Action: Allow

Direction: Out

Source Address: Network Zone / AirVPN

Destination Address: Any

Click OK

6. Right-Click / Add

Action: Block

Direction: In/Out

Source Address: Any

Destination Address: Any

Click OK

D: Apply rule to Applications 9uTorrent or any other application you want to work only with AirVPN

1. Open Application Rules

2. Choose the application that should only work with AirVPN activeor add an new one. You can do this several ways If uTorrent isn't listed, Right-Click / Add / pull down "Browse" / Files or Running Processes (if uTorrent is active)

3. Click on the pull down "Copy from" / Ruleset / AirVPN

4. If there are other rules already, they will be removed. To keep any existing settings, you'll have to improvise here

5. Click OK

6. Click OK

E. Disable IPv6 in Windows 7 otherwise DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange will continue to connect even when AirVPN isn't active

Click / Start and type CMD, press enter. and apply the following at a command prompt: (just copy and paste)

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disable

netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled

netsh interface ipv6 isatap set state state=disabled

netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disabled

This will disable all IPv6 tunnelling interfaces on Windows 7.

Credits:

http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?topic=5798.0 (http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3c44e9hhquaovml4uk94bhh393&action=profile;u=4720)

http://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/stop-utorrent-when-vpn-connection-lost-t79114.0.html;msg566986#msg566986 (http://forums.comodo.com/profiles/radaghast-u103004.html)