Not connected, Your IP: 52.86.227.103
Sign in to follow this  
wintersnow

AirVPN Client vs OpenVPN

I haven't used the AirVPN client, but I think it's just a GUI for OpenVPN is it not?

Hello!

Correct.

It's an OpenVPN wrapper/GUI with additional commodities (anyway available in the web site or through our configuration generator).

Kind regards

I haven't used the AirVPN client, but I think it's just a GUI for OpenVPN is it not?

Hello!

Correct.

It's an OpenVPN wrapper/GUI with additional commodities (anyway available in the web site or through our configuration generator).

Kind regards

So does that mean that if I already have OpenVPN installed that I only need to install the AirVPN file to get started?

Hello,

you can run either the Air client, any OpenVPN wrapper (such as OpenVPN GUI) or OpenVPN directly, according to your preferences.

The Air client does not need installation.

Kind regards

I'm new to VPN and wonder what are the pros and cons of using the AirVPN client vs OpenVPN?

Thanks

Read this :

https://airvpn.org/topic/891-important-notice-about-security/?do=findComment&comment=11718

OpenVPN is nice and gives you the option to run OpenVPN over TOR, your real IP address is not communicated to any VPN server unlike with the AirVPN client which will.

Hello,

no, the Air client itself does not connect to a VPN server, so it does not "communicate" anything to a VPN server.

Kind regards

Hi I have re-edited since I was mistaken,  but can you confirm when AirVPN client connects to airvpn.org,  to get the list of servers it does reveal your real ISP,  IP ?  

And using OpenVPN over Tor would fix this ?

Hi I have re-edited since I was mistaken,  but can you confirm when AirVPN client connects to airvpn.org,  to get the list of servers it does reveal your real ISP,  IP ?  

And using OpenVPN over Tor would fix this ?

Hello!

Yes, to our frontend, not to the VPN servers. It's an ordinary https connection like a web site login. The Proxy option of the Air client is meant for OpenVPN, not for the client (remember that the client is an OpenVPN wrapper). If you don't want to disclose your IP address to the frontend server, just run OpenVPN directly (or OpenVPN GUI). We don't force (and we will never force) to run any proprietary software to connect to the VPN servers.

Kind regards

Hello!

Correct.

Kind regards

So does that mean that if I already have OpenVPN installed that I only need to install the AirVPN file to get started?