Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.228.88
Sign in to follow this  
kittykatnyp

Exactly What Does My ISP see?

I understand that when using airvpn the exact details of my internet activity are not visible to my ISP such as what websites I visit or what I may happen to download but I am curious if the ISP is still able to monitor my bandwidth usage - like how much I use downloading? In other words I guess I am asking if using a vpn enables one to not be subject to quota caps?

I have never come close to reaching my available allotment from my ISP but am just hypothetically curious.

I understand that when using airvpn the exact details of my internet activity are not visible to my ISP such as what websites I visit or what I may happen to download but I am curious if the ISP is still able to monitor my bandwidth usage - like how much I use downloading? In other words I guess I am asking if using a vpn enables one to not be subject to quota caps?

I have never come close to reaching my available allotment from my ISP but am just hypothetically curious.

Hello!

Your ISP can see the total amount of in/out traffic (if it couldn't, it would be unable to provide you with Internet connectivity :) ).

While you are connected to the VPN your ISP sees all packets going to and coming from a single IP address (the entry-IP address of the VPN server your computer is connected to).

Your ISP can NOT see:

- the real packets header

- the packets payload (i.e. the content you send and receive)

- the real origin and destinations of the packets

- the "real" protocol you use

- the applications you use

Kind regards

i would like to add that airvpn uses packet compression so you might be able to save a bit of bandwidth compared to not using the vpn

Interesting.

So if my ISP cant see the content being sent does this mean our content is encrypted via airvpn and not subject to man in the middle attacts?

If encryption is not the reason the ISP cant see the contents if they really wanted to

can you please be more specific as to how it is that the content cant be seen?

kind regards

Interesting.

So if my ISP cant see the content being sent does this mean our content is encrypted via airvpn and not subject to man in the middle attacts?

Hello!

Yes, of course, this is one of the most basic features of the service.

Kind regards

That is extremly awesome I had no idea.

Of all the vpn services I have looked at non of them encrypt data as far as I can tell.

Is there anywhere on the site that you can point me to to read more about your encryption protocols?

I assume you are familure with cryptocat and was also wondering if you could of a brief a/b comparison of there encryption vs airvpn. I know realize these are two completly diferent types of service but im curious about the encryption.

I was under the impression that cryptocat was ground breaking and really the only true solution for encryption.

again im new to all this, but I have to say the service amaizing but even better is the feedback from airvpn I find educatiinal and just as valuable.

kind regards

That is extremly awesome I had no idea.

Of all the vpn services I have looked at non of them encrypt data as far as I can tell.

Is there anywhere on the site that you can point me to to read more about your encryption protocols?

Hello!

OpenVPN Data Channel uses AES-256-CBC cipher.

RSA keys are 2048 bit long.

Packet authentication is performed through HMAC SHA 160 bit.

TLS keys are renegotiated every 60 minutes with overlapping windows. During SSL/TLS rekeying, there is a transition-window parameter that permits overlap between old and new key usage, so there is no time pressure or latency bottleneck during SSL/TLS renegotiations.

Client/server authentication is performed through double certificate and key.

I assume you are familure with cryptocat and was also wondering if you could of a brief a/b comparison of there encryption vs airvpn. I know realize these are two completly diferent types of service but im curious about the encryption.

Cryptocat encrypts your chat end-to-end and it does not hide your IP address. As you say a VPN is a totally different service, encrypting everything from/to the server to/from the client. Out of this tunnel data are decrypted (of course) but your real IP address is no more in the packets. Nothing prevents you to use additional end-to-end encryption layers in addition to the VPN, especially if you need to protect your data while they transit out of the tunnel.

Kind regards