Not connected, Your IP: 44.203.219.117
Sign in to follow this  
Fritz

Why can Google Maps pin point my exact location?

Hi,

I'm really new to this and was wondering if anyone might be able to enlighten me.

I'm trying out the vpn service for the fist time today and am researching and testing as I go.

At the moment I am on an IPad using AirVpn via Open Vpn app, non JB and have selected a foreign territory as my test configuration.

When I log into Hulu it says no videos available, Netflix let's me log in however subtitles are now present when watching videos. I consider these occurrences to be a good thing.

However when I enable location services on the iPad and go to googlemaps.com it pin points my exact location. I have also tested find my iPhone with vpn enable on the iPhone at the time and Apple can pin point my exact location as well.

I also have the app Around Me turned on which works great when traveling for finding places near by like gas, shopping etc. I am having the same issue with this app as well.

My expectation is that with all of these test I thought it would make my device appear to be physically in what ever area I have my vpn set to.

Am I doing anything wrong? I'm a little confused by the mixed results.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to explain this or even better, help with a solution.

Hello!

Your phone determines your exact location through GPS and Wi-Fi hot spots detections. When you don't want to be located you should at least disable location detection on your phone.

Kind regards