Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.253.221
Sign in to follow this  
andytattoo

dns leak test....

i check dns leak test...regulary...just to check...and it shows...6 google servers and 3 comodo servers...now the confusing thing is when in the past i have done leak test it always showed just the 4..... 2 google and 2 comodo..i have 2 comodo servers set in network card...and in tap adapter i have 10.4.0.1 and the same comodo server thats set as primary in my network card..so i'm trying to figure out why dns leak test is showing 9 different servers..is rather confusing..hope you can figure it out..

i check dns leak test...regulary...just to check...and it shows...6 google servers and 3 comodo servers...now the confusing thing is when in the past i have done leak test it always showed just the 4..... 2 google and 2 comodo..i have 2 comodo servers set in network card...and in tap adapter i have 10.4.0.1 and the same comodo server thats set as primary in my network card..so i'm trying to figure out why dns leak test is showing 9 different servers..is rather confusing..hope you can figure it out..

Hello!

Presumably this is what happens:

- the Google servers are showed for DNS queries inside the tunnel

- the Comodo servers are showed for DNS queries both inside and outside the tunnel

Therefore the DNS leak test in this case does not provide a clear result because you can't discern queries sent to Comodo DNS within the tunnel from those sent to Comodo outside the tunnel.

After a very long discussion and evaluation, we have taken the decision to drop Google DNS. There will be no noticeable performance impact to our customers on DNS resolution and the DNS leak tests will give a much clearer response. The change is expected to take place within one week.

Kind regards

ok..i understand what your saying..but that makes me ask why are 6 different google servers suddenly showing now...when i only have 10.4.0.1 set as 1 primary dns server in my tap adapter?? the other thing is...when i do a leak test the results are now always different..firstly there were 8 servers showing then 7..then 6 then 9(6 comodo/3 google) then 9 again( 6 google/3 comodo) then 4(1google/3 comodo) then 8 (3 google/5 comodo)..now i only use 2 comodo dns servers in my network card..8.26.56.26 as primary and 8.20.247.20 as my secondary...and in my tap adapter 10.4.0.1 is my primary and 8.26.56.26 is my secondary..so my question is why so many servers when i physically only entered 3 actual dns addresses in both network card and tap adapter? it was always 4 servers showing under dns leaktest..2 google/2comodo..it remained that way for over a month..now everything seems to be fluctuating like crazy on leaktest...just for the record..my network was hacked by someone using THC-HYDRA 2 weeks ago..they blocked air vpn client from using the udp ports..could only connect with tcp(which is not 100% secure) hence the network hack..some of my usual internet pages i visited had HYDRA...all over them...so i immediately changed routers..which solved the problem with udp ports..also changed firewall and anti virus....and reinstalled windows..(fully updated) and in all that time dns leak test still only showed 4 servers 2 google/2 comodo...now up until today everything was normal with leaktest.. now because of the hack, that is the reason i wish to get to the bottom of the difference in leak test results..just to be sure there are no further problems with my network...i'm not saying my network HAS been hacked again.. but as router is only 14 days old and i have made it as secure as possible..with upnp disabled and proper security(wpa2 personal) is unlikely..but not impossible.have sent comodo email regarding their servers..waiting for reply...it's just with all the variations in dns leak test..it got me thinking that maybe i was compromised again.MAYBE,MAYBE NOT. but your opinion would be appreciated..many thanks.

Hello!

It's totally normal. In order to understand which DNS server you're using to resolve names, dnsleaktest.com needs to operate its own DNS server through which it monitors which DNS server the requests to randomly-generated subdomains (transmitted to your browser) of their own domain come from. As a consequence, your system will repeatedly query your configured DNS (to resolve such subdomain names) servers which in turn send the request to the most convenient DNS server of their infrastructure (which may vary from second to second).

Kind regards

ok...but for the last month has always been the same only 2google/2 comodo's show up..even if im using bootis or 1 of other 2 uk servers.....so you are sure it's nothing to worry about??

ok...but for the last month has always been the same only 2google/2 comodo's show up..even if im using bootis or 1 of other 2 uk servers.....so you are sure it's nothing to worry about??

Hello!

Presumably this is what happens:

- the Google servers are showed for DNS queries inside the tunnel

- the Comodo servers are showed for DNS queries both inside and outside the tunnel

Therefore the DNS leak test in this case does not provide a clear result because you can't discern queries sent to Comodo DNS within the tunnel from those sent to Comodo outside the tunnel.

After a very long discussion and evaluation, we have taken the decision to drop Google DNS. There will be no noticeable performance impact to our customers on DNS resolution and the DNS leak tests will give a much clearer response. The change is expected to take place within one week.

Kind regards

i understand what you are trying to say...when i first joined air vpn...i followed all the steps stated by yourselves..your forums had a photo of correct results regarding successful configuration of servers in both network card and tap adapter...your photo showed 2 google servers from 10.4.0.1...and 2 other servers that were set in the network card..now upon configuration as stated..i had 2 google servers from 10.4.0.1 and 2 servers that were set in MY network card (comodo) and for 5 weeks and about 20 dns leak test...results were IDENTICAL. always identical... the same 2google/2 comodo the same internet addresses for servers etc(identical)...using same browser..using same dns servers.. the servers shown in dns leak test were always the SAME servers that were set in my pc...They NEVER changed.. dns leak test always returned identical results identical servers identical addresses.etc etc. they always reflected EXACTLY what i had set in my network card and tap adatpter..{as described in your own forums}..now admin stated in reply earlier that dns results would change and be different in dns leak test...so which of the descriptions in your forums from yourselves is correct..they both cant be correct..they cannot return identical results in over 20 dns leak test's ( if as stated they would be different results)and if as stated in original posting of dns leak test results the photo of 4 servers(2 google and the 2 servers set as primary and secondary in the example network card) are correct...then later statement that dns leak test would always return different results must therefor be incorrect. so which of these is CORRECT?? it cannot be just SHEER COINCIDENCE that i received identical results with over 20 dns leak tests if results were supposed to be different from second to second with every dns leak test. Can you understand what i'm trying to explain? for 5 weeks i could use any of your 3 uk servers and leak test returned identical results everytime in over 20 tests over that 5 week period.( 4 servers,2google/2 comodo...with same addresses etc) Reflecting exactly as set up in my pc..[and as stated in your own forums]until this weekend..with untouched setup of servers in network card and tap adapter,it now returns totally different results.every test has a different amount of servers from 4,6,7,8 and 9 with different combinations of google and comodo servers. now no dns leak test results are equivalent to the set up mentioned in the original posting and photograph. hopefully you can help me understand this discrepency..many thanks.

yes you are correct..my mistake...basically all i have done is turn my i.s.p.'s d.n.s leak into a comodo d.n.s leak...and in my book a leaks a leak..i realize this now..could you supply comodo firewall rules that block all traffic except everything via the tunnel? many thanks for your patience in this..

yes you are correct..my mistake...basically all i have done is turn my i.s.p.'s d.n.s leak into a comodo d.n.s leak...and in my book a leaks a leak..i realize this now..could you supply comodo firewall rules that block all traffic except everything via the tunnel? many thanks for your patience in this..

Hello!

Sure: you can see our guide linked in announcement section of the forum.

Direct link:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142

Kind regards

hi yes i'm figuring it out properly now...i need entry ip's for bootis,cassiopeia and carinae.. in part 10 of rules you say to define network zone for air servers entry ip's is that ipv4 range...and when choosing ipv4 range.. i'm only given a choice of start ip and end ip...would i have to enter start and end ip of all 3 servers instead as a group as you say? i will only be using air client to connect to internet...so is rules in part 12 needed?..and if so how to add to host file? what is that? is that openvpn? i ONLY use air client. if part 12 is not need when only connecting with air client then do i need to enter 2 sets of rules like part 13 says for 85...1 set for 85.17.207.151...and another set for 212.117.180.25......also when these rules are set...which dns servers are need for physical network card and tap adapter? 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 for physical network card..and leave tap adapter as obtain dns addresses automatically?...many thanks for your help.

hi yes i'm figuring it out properly now...i need entry ip's for bootis,cassiopeia and carinae.. in part 10 of rules you say to define network zone for air servers entry ip's is that ipv4 range...

Hello!

No, they are single IP addresses (each server has one entry-IP address), so pick add single IP addresses for that network zone.

i will only be using air client to connect to internet...so is rules in part 12 needed?..and if so how to add to host file?

In this case yes, they are necessary.

To add the lines to the hosts file launch a text editor (for example notepad) with administrator privileges, load the hosts file, add the lines and save the file.

The file on standard Windows installation is inside the following directory:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

do i need to enter 2 sets of rules like part 13 says for 85...1 set for 85.17.207.151...and another set for 212.117.180.25......

Yes, they are necessary.

also when these rules are set...which dns servers are need for physical network card and tap adapter? 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 for physical network card..and leave tap adapter as obtain dns addresses automatically?...many thanks for your help.

Correct, although it does not really matter what DNS you put in your physical network card, because any query from that card will be blocked by Comodo. Anyway you might like to put your favorite DNS in your physical network card so that you can regain full Internet connectivity when disconnected from the VPN if you decide to disable Comodo rules (just in case you need to connect to the Internet without VPN).

Kind regards

i need entry ip's for bootis cassiopeia and carinea...also.....To add the lines to the hosts file launch a text editor (for example notepad) with administrator privileges, load the hosts file, add the lines and save the file. how do you load the hosts file? and in c\windows\system32\drivers....which file?? many thanks

i need entry ip's for bootis cassiopeia and carinea...also.....To add the lines to the hosts file launch a text editor (for example notepad) with administrator privileges, load the hosts file, add the lines and save the file. how do you load the hosts file? and in c\windows\system32\drivers....which file?? many thanks

Hello!

The name of the file is:

hosts

Please note that it has no extension, so in Notepad make sure that you select "All files" (otherwise it will filter *.txt files and you will not see it).

The file on standard Windows installation is inside the following directory:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

If you have still issues try to open a command prompt with administrator privileges and type:

notepad C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (press ENTER key at the end of the line)

Kind regards