Not connected, Your IP: 3.23.92.255
Sign in to follow this  
nuxt

Virtual Machine Query

So i have a virtual machine set up, connected to airvpn. I have fixed the DNS leaks... is this system now "safe"?

Inside the virtual machine, everything is as it's suppose to be, reports correct ip/location/dns etc.

I just want to make sure. E.g. when the virtual machines requests data, it goes through my "vmware network adapter on my main OS/PC"

Hello!

It depends on how your VM is connected (via a NAT or in bridge mode?) and if the connection to the OpenVPN server is performed by the guest or by the host. If  the connection to an OpenVPN server is performed by the VM, the outgoing data are already encrypted in any case when they reach either the physical network card of your system or the virtual network card of the virtualization software. The incoming data are still encrypted when they pass through any interface (virtual or real) of the host. In a few words, this is because the outgoing data are encrypted just after they get out of the tun virtual interface of the guest, and they are decrypted only inside the VM.

If the connection is "bridged" (to the physical network card of the system), and/or if the connection to an OpenVPN server is performed by the host, there are important differences and additional distinctions are necessary.

You can better realize what happens to the packets by running Wireshark both inside the VM and on the host.

Please feel free to specify your setup so that we can be more precise.

Kind regards