Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.131.72
orkip@kc.rr.com

Why doesn't airvpn include dnsleak protection in there software?

I just signed up last week over all i'm very pleased with the service. I don't know much about how vpns work I always just assumed that all my traffic would always go through the vpn. After doing some research on vpns I discovered that my dns queries can bypass the vpn and use my isp dns servers. If I am using a vpn I want everything going through that vpn i don't care what it is. i manually had to figure out how to fix this issue. I have seen that some other vpn providers offer a fix for this in there software packages so why doesn't airvpn?

I just signed up last week over all i'm very pleased with the service. I don't know much about how vpns work I always just assumed that all my traffic would always go through the vpn. After doing some research on vpns I discovered that my dns queries can bypass the vpn and use my isp dns servers. If I am using a vpn I want everything going through that vpn i don't care what it is. i manually had to figure out how to fix this issue. I have seen that some other vpn providers offer a fix for this in there software packages so why doesn't airvpn?

Hello!

DNS leaks are a typical problem of Windows only, which has never had and still lacks the concept of global DNS. We will address the issue in the next release of the Air client (for those who wish to use it). Anyway our guides for Comodo prevents any leak, including DNS leaks. Alternatively (but only for DNS leaks, not other leaks) you can just set VPN DNS IP addresses in your physical network card. We prefer general solution which do not bind you to use any proprietary client like ours.

Kind regards

you can just set VPN DNS IP addresses in your physical network card

That was the first thing I tried but my dns was still leaking. The only way i could stop it was by installing the dnsleaktest bat file fix.

Are there any other similar issues that I should know about?

That was the first thing I tried but my dns was still leaking.

Hello!

That's impossible, which DNS IP addresses did you set?

The only way i could stop it was by installing the dnsleaktest bat file fix.

Ok, that's another good solution.

Are there any other similar issues that I should know about?

You might like to prevent any leak (especially leaks in case of unexpected VPN disconnection) with your firewall (see our guide for Comodo, the most reliable firewall for Windows):

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142

All these information are reported in the welcome e-mail which is sent automatically at each new subscription and also in the FAQ, please feel free to inform us if you found something unclear in the FAQ and/or in the welcome e-mail.

Kind regards

That was the first thing I tried but my dns was still leaking.

Hello!

That's impossible' date=' which DNS IP addresses did you set?

The only way i could stop it was by installing the dnsleaktest bat file fix.

It's not that imposssible because it happened I would run dnsleaktest and it would still show my dns servers i had in my router

opendns and google and level3 and yes i was sure the cache was clear.

What you are saying is that you can avoid using the firewall for DNS leaks by setting the AirVPN DNS addresses under network connections?

I am connected over WIFI. So I would open the wireless network connection, right click and go to properties, click on TCP/IP and then properties, and then enter your 2 DNS server addresses?

My router has a known firmware issue (its a linksys) where it puts its IP as a DNS server, and it causes lots of stuff to not function correctly (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc). To fix this I placed Google's DNS servers in the TCP/IP properties of my network adapter (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). They are also placed in my router. What what I need to do to use the AirVPN DNS addresses? Would I also need to remove them from the DNS section of the router?

I'm not very skilled with networking, I can manipulate a routers interface so it does what I want, but beyond that I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks!

What you are saying is that you can avoid using the firewall for DNS leaks by setting the AirVPN DNS addresses under network connections?

I am connected over WIFI. So I would open the wireless network connection, right click and go to properties, click on TCP/IP and then properties, and then enter your 2 DNS server addresses?

Hello!

Correct, you can set 10.4.0.1 as primary (preferred) DNS and 10.5.0.1 as secondary (alternate) DNS on your physical network interface. In this case you must be aware that, when disconnected from the VPN, you system will not be able to send out DNS queries, so you should enter the following lines in your hosts file to allow connection to our VPN servers (only if you use the Air client, because it needs to contact airvpn.org):

85.17.207.151 airvpn.org

212.117.180.25 airvpn.org

On most default Windows installations the hosts file is in the following directory:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

Kind regards

Ok, let me see if I fully understand this.

My "hosts" file has 1 entry which is "127.0.0.1 localhost", would I remove that or add the two entries you mentioned as additions to the file? So I would have 3 lines total?

If I use OpenVPN and not the Air Client, I would not need to add the additional 2 lines?

Once this is done, I can not browse the Internet (etc) unless I am connected to the VPN?

What about my router which has its own DNS addresses, would I need to delete the two Google addresses I have entered into the router and replace them with the two IP address you provided? My router (a linksys) has a known firmware issue that was never addressed, it uses its IP as a DNS which causes all kinds of problems. Would this in any way cause any DNS leaking or other issues related to the VPN?

Thank you for your replies!

Ok, let me see if I fully understand this.

My "hosts" file has 1 entry which is "127.0.0.1 localhost", would I remove that or add the two entries you mentioned as additions to the file? So I would have 3 lines total?

If I use OpenVPN and not the Air Client, I would not need to add the additional 2 lines?

Hello!

In general, if you use OpenVPN directly or the OpenVPN GUI you don't need those lines. There are some exceptions: those lines will help circumvent some DNS-poisoning censorship against our websites (in vast areas of China airvpn.org web site is censored), additionally they provide a "failover" in case one of the two frontends fails to respond, so we would recommend to add them in any case.

Once this is done, I can not browse the Internet (etc) unless I am connected to the VPN?

Not exactly: once this is done, your system can't resolve names with DNS queries outside the VPN. The connectivity to the Internet is not broken. If you wish that your system can't connect to the Internet when disconnected from the VPN you can set your firewall, we recommend Comodo, please see our guide here:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142

What about my router which has its own DNS addresses, would I need to delete the two Google addresses I have entered into the router and replace them with the two IP address you provided? My router (a linksys) has a known firmware issue that was never addressed, it uses its IP as a DNS which causes all kinds of problems. Would this in any way cause any DNS leaking or other issues related to the VPN?

No, you don't need to modify the DNS addresses set in your router. Those DNS will be used by devices connected to the router only if those devices send DNS queries to your router DNS.

Kind regards

You might like to prevent any leak (especially leaks in case of unexpected VPN disconnection) with your firewall (see our guide for Comodo, the most reliable firewall for Windows):

Are there many different types of leaks I'd experience on Win 7? Would using the dnsleak bat file fix and a:

route delete 0.0.0.0 192.n.n.n be enough or do I need to apply the recomended Comodo type rules to the firewall I'm using?

Also running OS X 10.6.n Would this be enough:

#! /bin/sh

route delete 0.0.0.0 192.n.n.n

Tns for your service. Really liking it compared to previous VPN provider

Are there many different types of leaks I'd experience on Win 7? Would using the dnsleak bat file fix and a:

route delete 0.0.0.0 192.n.n.n be enough or do I need to apply the recomended Comodo type rules to the firewall I'm using?

Also running OS X 10.6.n Would this be enough:

#! /bin/sh

route delete 0.0.0.0 192.n.n.n

Tns for your service. Really liking it compared to previous VPN provider

Hello!

Yes, it's sufficient, see also https://airvpn.org/topic/9787-the-pros-and-the-cons/?p=11501 (in particular the second part of the post).

Thank you for your feedback!

Kind regards