Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.125.144
Sign in to follow this  
j0pad0pa

New Comodo Firewall Software -- How do the old AirVPN instructions Apply (RE: DNS LEAK)

I'm following the steps in the "How to set up AirVPN to use Comodo Firewall and Prevent DNS Leaks" thread.

(See: https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142)

However, I see that Comodo has updated their Free Firewall Product and it took a bit of tweaking to figure out how to set the custom rules [essentially, install Comodo Internet Security Free and uncheck the "do not bug me about stuff" option when installing it on the computer].

My question becomes...

1) How do the rules apply to this new version of Comodo Firewall?

2) To what program(s) do I apply these "AirVPN Lockdown" Custom Rules?

3) ***No matter what program is running regardless of what ruleset, do I understand correctly that AirVPN usurps their internet connection and tunnels it through AirVPN?*** In other words, do I understand correctly that these custom rulesets should apply only to programs we are concerned might divulge our true IP address if the VPN server is accidentally disconnected??

Thanks as always.

-Jopa

I'm following the steps in the "How to set up AirVPN to use Comodo Firewall and Prevent DNS Leaks" thread.

(See: https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142)

However, I see that Comodo has updated their Free Firewall Product and it took a bit of tweaking to figure out how to set the custom rules [essentially, install Comodo Internet Security Free and uncheck the "do not bug me about stuff" option when installing it on the computer].

My question becomes...

1) How do the rules apply to this new version of Comodo Firewall?

Hello!

There's no difference.

2) To what program(s) do I apply these "AirVPN Lockdown" Custom Rules?

To no program in particular, they are General Rules that will be evaluated for every and each packet.

3) ***No matter what program is running regardless of what ruleset, do I understand correctly that AirVPN usurps their internet connection and tunnels it through AirVPN?***

Our OpenVPN servers push default gateway and routes so that all the traffic in the device where the OpenVPN client runs will be tunneled.

In other words, do I understand correctly that these custom rulesets should apply only to programs we are concerned might divulge our true IP address if the VPN server is accidentally disconnected??

The rules are global, therefore they are evaluated for every and each packet.

Kind regards

Just to be clear, here are the settings that I've set in Comodo:

UNDER TAB: FIREWALL SETTINGS

"Enable Firewall (Recommended)" -- Option: "Custom Ruleset"

UNDER TAB: RULESETS

Under this tab, I set up a rule called "AirVPN Locked." However, it appears as if I need to apply this to each and every program I want this to apply to.

...OH. So in order to prevent a DNS leak the "AirVPN Locked" settings [explained in the other thread] should be explicitly listed as "Global Rules" under the "Firewall > Global Rules" tab after their pre-set rules (a bunch of "Block ICMP"s)?

i had to re-install windows againhttps://airvpn.org/components/com_kunena/template/default/images/emoticons/sad.png,anyway when i re-downloaded comodo it had been updated to the new version,personally i dont like the new layout and prefered the old comodo firewall layout which the dns leak/comodo fiewall stickie at the top of the forums page uses in its instructions.

So all i did was goto a certain website where you can download old versions of programs and then just installed the version of comodo firewall i'd been using before i had to re-install windows.

I've not included the name of the site where you can get the old programs in case its not allowed,but its pretty well known and as far i know its perfectly legalhttps://airvpn.org/components/com_kunena/template/default/images/emoticons/cheerful.png.Anyway hope this helps.

I've not included the name of the site where you can get the old programs in case its not allowed,but its pretty well known

Hello!

You can publish the link and/or the site name if you wish.

Prohibition of advertisements does not include helpful and informative links.

Kind regards