Not connected, Your IP: 52.15.153.23
Sign in to follow this  
joshmygosh

Having one VPN server on top of another?

I saw the double hop routing servers and from what I just read there are not ready to use yet right? If the are how do we set them?

Anyway that gave me the idea that would be nice if we have the vpn client running for the whole internet traffic on the PC and THEN we have setup one of the browsers to use another server on top of the first one. You have double hop. You have different IP in that browser.

You can use it for more sensitive stuff and added plus is that if you visit facebook for example with the primary browser your VPN IP might be connected with your real identity, but if you have second browser with another IP, that's no longer the case.

Well what do you guys think, can we currently do that?

I saw the double hop routing servers and from what I just read there are not ready to use yet right? If the are how do we set them?

Hello!

Actually they are. Try for example to access BBC iPlayer from a server NOT in UK, you'll see that it works. We will publish in the near future a list of geodiscriminatory services which are accessible from every Air server.

The fact is that this double-hop is an experiment (so far successful) aimed to bypass geo-IP censorship. What you ask is not currently supported on the server side by our service. On the client side, it is possible to do that with a host connecting to a server and a VM connecting to another one, so that in the VM you have OpenVPN over OpenVPN with two different servers. In our service, though, you need two accounts to do that.

Anyway that gave me the idea that would be nice if we have the vpn client running for the whole internet traffic on the PC and THEN we have setup one of the browsers to use another server on top of the first one. You have double hop. You have different IP in that browser.

You can use it for more sensitive stuff and added plus is that if you visit facebook for example with the primary browser your VPN IP might be connected with your real identity, but if you have second browser with another IP, that's no longer the case.

In this case you might do the same without multi-hop on the server side, without Virtual Machine and with just one single account: for example connect to an Air server, then launch TOR, then use two browsers, one configured to connect over TOR (for example Aurora, bundled in the Tor Browser Bundle) and the other not. The first browser will connect over TOR over Air (so you will "get out" with a TOR exit-IP address) and the second over Air only (so you will "get out" with the Air server exit-IP).

Kind regards

No, that's not possible with AirVPN when only having one account!

You can of course do that, but you'd need 2 accounts for 2 hops. I'm not aware that Air will be implementing this feature. It would mean much more traffic and extremely long pings and overall probably a huge loss of speed! And who says it's more effective than only one server. It might sound like it in theory, but there is virtually no flaw in the current design of a VPN that doesn't keep logs anyway to necessitate such a double hop.

As it is, you could use facebook with your normal ip with firefox for example and have opera run through the vpn, but you'd have to change all kinds of settings and bindings I believe.

Hello!

Actually they are. Try for example to access BBC iPlayer from a server NOT in UK, you'll see that it works. We will publish in the near future a list of geodiscriminatory services which are accessible from every Air server.

The fact is that this double-hop is an experiment (so far successful) aimed to bypass geo-IP censorship. What you ask is not currently supported on the server side by our service. On the client side, it is possible to do that with a host connecting to a server and a VM connecting to another one, so that in the VM you have OpenVPN over OpenVPN with two different servers. In our service, though, you need two accounts to do that.

In this case you might do the same without multi-hop on the server side, without Virtual Machine and with just one single account: for example connect to an Air server, then launch TOR, then use two browsers, one configured to connect over TOR (for example Aurora, bundled in the Tor Browser Bundle) and the other not. The first browser will connect over TOR over Air (so you will "get out" with a TOR exit-IP address) and the second over Air only (so you will "get out" with the Air server exit-IP).

Kind regards

I'm using TOR even now, but it's not convenient for every day use because of the terrible, terrible speed.

Yes it's great for super sensitive stuff, and one VPN is great for low sensitive stuff, but something in the middle would be great as well.

It would be great if at least we can use VPN for everything, and have one browser that goes via proxy at least, so we have that in the middle solution with fair speed and twice more secure and independed from the main IP.

FPyro, yes your idea will do it technically, but I dont like the idea going out with real IP even for the basic stuff

I have a related question: I have successfully installed a second TAP adapter for OpenVPN (OpenVPN>Utilities>Add a second adapter). I also have access to a second VPN provider that I can connect to successfully. However, All IP checks I do, only show the AirVPN server. Has anyone got this working? Where can I look to see if the route is using both VPN's?

Thanks,

I have a related question: I have successfully installed a second TAP adapter for OpenVPN (OpenVPN>Utilities>Add a second adapter). I also have access to a second VPN provider that I can connect to successfully. However, All IP checks I do, only show the AirVPN server. Has anyone got this working? Where can I look to see if the route is using both VPN's?

Thanks,

JD

Hello!

That's good to connect over two VPNs separately, but it is not a suitable/simple solution to connect your system over a VPN over another VPN. See also here:

http://serverfault.com/questions/155299/how-to-connect-multiple-vpns-using-openvpn-on-windows-7-on-the-same-time

In order to check which IP address our servers see you connected from, go to your "Member Area"->"Your Details" while connected to an Air server (do not disconnect before accessing it, otherwise the IP address is lost).

Kind regards