Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.153.38
Sign in to follow this  
Scone

forwarded ports are never reachable also very slow speed

No matter what I do the port I choose to forward is never reachable. I've let the site choose the port for me and I've tried using specific ports for example 25939, same result every time. No green light next to status ever. I get this error, Not reachable on server IP over the external port 25939 tcp protocol. Error : 110 - Connection timed out

Also slow speeds since I've been a member. I connect to servers that are close to me and I've never been able to pull even close to half of what my line is capable of. I get very slow speeds on all protocols. NNTP, P2P, regular web dl's etc.

Any ideas what I can do about the port situation and the speed issue?

No matter what I do the port I choose to forward is never reachable. I've let the site choose the port for me and I've tried using specific ports for example 25939, same result every time. No green light next to status ever. I get this error, Not reachable on server IP over the external port 25939 tcp protocol. Error : 110 - Connection timed out

Hello!

Can you please make sure that the service you want to be reachable is listening to the same port and that it is running while the port check is performed? Which service is it?

Also slow speeds since I've been a member. I connect to servers that are close to me and I've never been able to pull even close to half of what my line is capable of. I get very slow speeds on all protocols. NNTP, P2P, regular web dl's etc.

You can try different ports and protocols, just in case your ISP performs port shaping. Try connections to port 53 UDP and 80 TCP to make a performance comparison. Also try different servers, even those geographically further to your location.

Kind regards

Hello!

Can you please make sure that the service you want to be reachable is listening to the same port and that it is running while the port check is performed? Which service is it?

You can try different ports and protocols, just in case your ISP performs port shaping. Try connections to port 53 UDP and 80 TCP to make a performance comparison. Also try different servers, even those geographically further to your location.

Kind regards

The application I'm trying to use with the port forwarding is utorrent and also tixati, both torrent apps. I have the port settings configured properly in both apps.

About the speed, I've been a member for months, tried all the servers, never get fast speeds. The fastest I've gotten is 400 - 475KBps(kilobytes per sec), my line is capable of 2.5MBps (Megabytes per sec).

Thanks for reading, hope you have some suggestions, I don't see what I could be doing wrong as everything is set right according to the port forwarding instructions provided on this site.

The application I'm trying to use with the port forwarding is utorrent and also tixati, both torrent apps. I have the port settings configured properly in both apps.

Hello!

Which firewall are you running? Do you get the same results also with the firewall off?

About the speed, I've been a member for months, tried all the servers, never get fast speeds. The fastest I've gotten is 400 - 475KBps(kilobytes per sec), my line is capable of 2.5MBps (Megabytes per sec).

Do you get the very same performance on all servers, all ports and all protocols? What happens if you connect to port 53 UDP and port 80 TCP?

Kind regards

Hello!

Which firewall are you running? Do you get the same results also with the firewall off?

Do you get the very same performance on all servers, all ports and all protocols? What happens if you connect to port 53 UDP and port 80 TCP?

Kind regards

Hi, yes I have tried all alt ports. Just tried port 80 a few hours ago. Same slow speed on all servers, some slower than others, I never get over 475KBps and that was just for a few seconds when it went that fast. It's almost always between 100KBps and 250KBps, extremely slow.

I have my router firewall on as well as windows firewall, I have tried it without the windows wall, same results. Guess I'm outta options here. I've been quietly experimenting with settings since I've been a member here trying to get the port forwarding working as well as trying to get a decent download speed. Haven't been able to do either.

Hello!

If you can, please stay connected to the server you're currently connected to for some minutes, we'll perform some tests right now.

Kind regards

Hello!

If you can, please stay connected to the server you're currently connected to for some minutes, we'll perform some tests right now.

Kind regards

Will do, Thx for looking into it for me!

Hello!

Kind regards

Hello!

We have performed various tests. The port forwarding in the server you're currently connected to works fine. The packets are forwarded to your VPN IP address correctly, but your system does not respond. Might there be anything on your system which is blocking incoming packets on the tun adapter? You can test with Wireshark or with the Comodo network monitor to verify that. A hint can be also given by uTorrent. uTorrent is able to punch our NAT, therefore it would not even need remote port forwarding. If you let uTorrent work without port forwarding (but with NAT-PMP and UPnP re-enabled) and share something, do you get a green token after a couple of minutes or not?

Kind regards

Hello!

Kind regards

Hello!

We have performed various tests. The port forwarding in the server you're currently connected to works fine. The packets are forwarded to your VPN IP address correctly, but your system does not respond. Might there be anything on your system which is blocking incoming packets on the tun adapter? You can test with Wireshark or with the Comodo network monitor to verify that. A hint can be also given by uTorrent. uTorrent is able to punch our NAT, therefore it would not even need remote port forwarding. If you let uTorrent work without port forwarding (but with NAT-PMP and UPnP re-enabled) and share something, do you get a green token after a couple of minutes or not?

Kind regards

Ok tried all of that, no green light, even slower download speed now. Cant even break 100KBps.

So I should download wireshark and then what, I've never used that program before. I feel like it should be working or at least I should have faster speeds without having to learn how to use wireshark.

ok well I disabled windows firewall again and this time with the options you mentioned enabled in utorrent, I now get a green status light. So if windows firewall is blocking the forwarded port on the vpn, what can I do about that?

ok well I disabled windows firewall again and this time with the options you mentioned enabled in utorrent, I now get a green status light. So if windows firewall is blocking the forwarded port on the vpn, what can I do about that?

Hello!

Excellent, we're very glad to know it!

Windows firewall is dropping or rejecting uTorrent incoming packets on the VPN adapter (and possibly other programs as well). You should add uTorrent as a authorized/trusted application in Windows firewall on all networks. Actually Windows firewall may authorize a program on some network while keeping it blocked on a different one. Perhaps you might also consider to change firewall.

Kind regards

Hello!

Excellent, we're very glad to know it!

Windows firewall is dropping or rejecting uTorrent incoming packets on the VPN adapter (and possibly other programs as well). You should add uTorrent as a authorized/trusted application in Windows firewall on all networks. Actually Windows firewall may authorize a program on some network while keeping it blocked on a different one. Perhaps you might also consider to change firewall.

Kind regards

I'll be changing FW's for sure. Still experiencing very slow speeds though. Slow speed has been the main thing troubling me for months. Still not getting anywhere near half of my line capability. Anything else I can do about that? Slow on all protocols, nntp, p2p etc. I appreciate all your help!

I'll be changing FW's for sure. Still experiencing very slow speeds though. Slow speed has been the main thing troubling me for months. Still not getting anywhere near half of my line capability. Anything else I can do about that? Slow on all protocols, nntp, p2p etc. I appreciate all your help!

Hello!

The first check to perform is whether you use some third-party "network manager" bundled with Windows by the computer vendor (just in case you have an OS pre-installed by the vendor). An Asus network manager, for example (which handles both WiFi and Ethernet), has been reported several times by Air customers to slow down incredibly the throughput on the tun interface. De-activating it solved the problem.

After that, we would recommend to check the logs to verify whether there's packet loss/fragmentation. In case of doubts just send us all the OpenVPN logs of one of your connections, in particular the slowest ones. In that case, it will be not easy to solve the problem, but there are some steps to try that could mitigate it.

Finally, it remains to be seen whether your ISP deliberately caps bandwidth/deprioritize packets on some ports or with encrypted connections. In the European Union ISPs are obliged by law to declare such limitations (and any other limitation on applications, services and protocols) in the contract in a clear, understandable and easily accessible way, just in case you live in the EU.

Kind regards

Well I'm in US, I can download at 2.5MBps on ssl nntp without issue when not connected to airvpn, so I doubt they're limiting my connection on any ports. I connect to airvpn and my connection drops below 400KBps. I'm also not connected via wireless, it's a direct connection and I installed my operating system myself. There is no middleware or 3rd party network manager.

I'll post up a log later, all this stuff is causing anxiety.

Thanks again for your help.

Well I'm in US, I can download at 2.5MBps on ssl nntp without issue when not connected to airvpn, so I doubt they're limiting my connection on any ports.

Hello!

Well, that's unrelated (none of the above sends and receive packets to and from outbound UDP ports, for example). Anyway it was just a consideration to check, because we know many providers that perform port shaping always.

Kind regards

Ok I'm connected to a server very close to me and the dl speed is crazy slow, I cant deal with such snail speed anymore (avg 124KBps my normal line speed is ~2048KBps). Do I post the openvpn log here or PM?

Yeah, about the speed issue, it's all about how close you are to the servers. For me, I'm in the south of germany connecting to NL servers and get about 20-30% of my line speed, which is 100Mbit/s. When I went to the middle west of germany, very close to the Netherlands, I got over 80% of those 100Mbit/s.

I'm still pretty happy with decent 20Mbit/s though. And upload capacity is very good too.