Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.42.196
Sign in to follow this  
blimpy

Why internet only works when using AirVPN?? Cant connect without it

Hello, I have basic computer knowledge so plain language please:) I need help with 2 issues, which might be related:

1) Why my internet only connects when I connect through AirVPN?

I have Windows 7, and have Comodo firewall set up to prevent any leaks as per previous forum postings.

When I dont connect via AirVPN, it will connect to router but not to internet.

2)Why sometimes(when first connected via AirVPN) when I load a page it wont load? It says the following...

"The server at reddit.com can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network."

I have a program called VPNCheckPro that has a "Reset DNS network" button that when I click on it fixes the problem. I've tried using the command "ipconfig/flushdns" in command prompt but that doesnt work.

Cheers, any help appreciated!

Hello, I have basic computer knowledge so plain language please:) I need help with 2 issues, which might be related:

1) Why my internet only connects when I connect through AirVPN?

I have Windows 7, and have Comodo firewall set up to prevent any leaks as per previous forum postings.

When I dont connect via AirVPN, it will connect to router but not to internet.

Hello!

That's correct: the purpose of the suggested Comodo rules in our guide is exactly to prevent any leak, so you must NOT have any connectivity to/from the Internet when disconnected from the VPN.

If you need that, just switch Comodo Firewall to "Disabled" or "Safe Mode".

2)Why sometimes(when first connected via AirVPN) when I load a page it wont load? It says the following...

"The server at reddit.com can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network."

Since Comodo rules prevent also DNS leaks, if your system insists on sending DNS queries outside the tunnel you will have a timeout in the name resolutions.

I have a program called VPNCheckPro that has a "Reset DNS network" button that when I click on it fixes the problem. I've tried using the command "ipconfig/flushdns" in command prompt but that doesnt work.

Apparently the reason is therefore that your system does not use the VPN DNS now and then. This may happen with Windows, because all the Windows versions, very unfortunately, lack the concept of global DNS.

Please try to force on your physical network card 10.4.0.1 as your preferred DNS server IP in order to fix the issue. Leave the "alternate DNS" to your favorite DNS, it will be used when you're not connected to the VPN (only if you need connectivity and names resolution when you're not connected to Air).

Kind regards

Ahhaaa Admin you are awesome!!! both solutions worked like a charm

I find it strange that before I read your post I did try and turn off Comodo firewall myself by right clicking and exiting application(this didnt fix the problem).

It was only when I read your post and then rather than exit, just changed security level to "Disabled". This fixed the problem.

Maybe when you exit application it still runs in the background? Not sure. Hopefully ppl dont make same mistake I did.

Thanks once again!