Not connected, Your IP: 3.139.83.145
Sign in to follow this  
penguin111

ANSWERED Are slow / fluctuating speeds normal?

Posted ... (edited)
image.thumb.png.951072e64c7ce1235a9cc9774907de2f.png
I have used Eddie to recommend me a server. I have changed the protocol from OpenVPN to Wireguard for better performance as I am torrenting with port forwarding. May I know if there are other factors I can check or change to improve my download speeds? The speeds can remain at 2-5 Mbit/s for a while sometimes, and I don't think that is normal right?

Thanks Edited ... by penguin111

1 hour ago, penguin111 said:

The speeds can remain at 2-5 Mbit/s for a while sometimes, and I don't think that is normal right?

Hello!

It may be perfectly normal if you're using only a torrent program to generate traffic, due to how the protocol works. However, it is not normal if you experience those "bandwidth holes" with other operations that should provide a steady bandwidth (for example an extensive speed test through reliable servers and multiple streams). In such a case, assuming that both the VPN server your system is connected to and the home router are not at full capacity and therefore sometimes unable to provide all the required bandwidth, the observed behavior is anomalous and deeper investigation is needed.

What do you get if you perform multiple speed tests through specialized web sites (e.g. speedtest.net) or tools like iPerf?

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

It may be perfectly normal if you're using only a torrent program to generate traffic, due to how the protocol works. However, it is not normal if you experience those "bandwidth holes" with other operations that should provide a steady bandwidth (for example an extensive speed test through reliable servers and multiple streams). In such a case, assuming that both the VPN server your system is connected to and the home router are not at full capacity and therefore sometimes unable to provide all the required bandwidth, the observed behavior is anomalous and deeper investigation is needed.

What do you get if you perform multiple speed tests through specialized web sites (e.g. speedtest.net) or tools like iPerf?

Kind regards

Hi AirVPN Staff,

Thanks for your message. I have restarted my computer after waiting some time and now it seems to be working well. Here are the speedtest results which look good, and the download speeds in my torrent client are good as well. Not sure what was the issue before, but it's not a problem anymore. Thanks
 image.thumb.png.e693e38992aa8cd123b760f041aa4090.pngimage.thumb.png.4433e8e9f4dadaf9f081bd1178ae6841.png