Not connected, Your IP: 3.148.109.231

I have a problem with version 2.24.2 beta: Every time I connect, Windows pops up a dialog box asking me to "Set network location", with "Eddie" and a number as the name of the "new" network. I'm currently at Eddie 7.

Other than that everything is working fine.

Cheers
Les

@Lestrad

Hello!

The “Set network location” message in Windows is thrown by Windows' Network Location Awareness at each network change to help the system decide whether to treat the new network (including virtual private networks of course) as public or private. WireGuard creates a new virtual interface at the beginning of each session and destroys it at the end of the session. This is probably the main reason triggering the prompt, but the fact that you are accumulating interfaces on interfaces makes us think that you're running a bugged system such as Windows 7 or some antimalware tool which prevents WireGuard from removing the interface at the end of the session.

A bug in Windows 7 caused this prompt to be re-displayed multiple times for known networks, even when there was no network change, and even when the user ticked the “Always select Public and don’t ask me again” checkbox (we assume you have already done so - if not, please do it and see whether the problem gets resolved).

In case you run Windows 7:
as a first action, delete all the virtual interfaces while Eddie is not running. Make sure you don't run interfering antimalware tools. Test again.
If the problem persists and you have already tried to force the VPN as always public to no effect, possible workarounds/patches are described in Windows forums. Before anything else please try to change the network location of the virtual network adapter (note: you must have administrator privileges). If you need remote port forwarding please make sure to set it to "Public" network.

If the above does not solve the problem, please check this article too, as it could be related:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/a-set-network-location-dialog-box-appears-when-you-first-log-on-to-a-domain-joined-windows-7-based-client-computer-bac51a2c-b657-3f5f-75bc-e81fd8268c91

However, please consider to upgrade your system as Windows 7 has been abandoned a long ago and it is considered insecure and unreliable.

If you don't run Windows 7, and you also don't run possible interfering tools, and the problem persists, please contact Microsoft support, because this bug should have been fixed ever since Windows 8 was released.

Kind regards

Thanks for your prompt reply. It solved the problem.

Ticking the “Always select Public and don’t ask me again” tickbox in the "Set network location" dialog is what seems to have resolved the problem. I've connected and disconnected a few times, shutting Eddie down each time, and the dialog has not appeared. So presumably the virtual interface is being deleted as it is supposed to.

Thanks again.
PS I don't know how to add "Resolved" to the title of my topic, so I'll let you do it if you don't mind...