Not connected, Your IP: 52.15.235.11
Sign in to follow this  
bloodpancake

ANSWERED Help with connection drops in Ubuntu 22.04.4

Hello everyone, 

I've been having issues with my vpn connection dropping at random intervals. Sometimes it will run for a few days, sometimes it will drop after half an hour. It seems to be random. I was using Bluetit from Airvpn suite 2.0 (beta for wireguard support) and I thought maybe that was the culprit. I uninstalled it and tried using wg-quick to load a .conf file made by the config generator instead. I am still running into the same issue. So I thought maybe my config file was the issue, as I have it set to only connect to one specific server. I generated a new config with the server selection set by continent (as I see that's recommended) but when I try to load the config file I get an error. 

Temporary failure in name resolution: 'america3.vpn.airdns.org:1637'. Trying again in 1.00 seconds

It will get stuck here until I abort.

My resolv.conf contains 'nameserver 10.20.74.1' at the bottom and nothing else that isn't commented out. 

Not sure where to go from here but I appreciate any advice! 

12 hours ago, bloodpancake said:

Temporary failure in name resolution: 'america3.vpn.airdns.org:1637'. Trying again in 1.00 seconds

It will get stuck here until I abort.

My resolv.conf contains 'nameserver 10.20.74.1' at the bottom and nothing else that isn't commented out. 

Hello!

The disconnection problem is not a matter we will investigate here (please open a ticket if you want to have the support team look into it or wait for community feedback here).

Apparently Bluetit failed to restore the previous DNS settings in your system. The potential problem can be caused by the following bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1872015

Now, to restore DNS system settings make sure that Bluetit is not running and set the proper DNS (we recommend Quad9, 9.9.9.9, 149.112.112.112 and 2620:fe::fe) . Then, verify whether the system is affected by the bug:
ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
If you see that the symlink is relative, such as: 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root [...] /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
then Bluetit can be unable to restore properly DNS (a workaround will be implemented to let Bluetit run properly even in bugged systems). The relative path for a symlink may perhaps make sense in very specific circumstances but in this case it is correctly considered as a bug. If you find that your setup is bugged, fix it simply by entering the commands shown in the quick fix available in the above linked bug report (make sure that Bluetit is NOT running).

*The Fix*

$ sudo rm -f /etc/resolv.conf
$ sudo ln -s /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 May 29 08:48 /etc/resolv.conf -> /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf

Verify the content of the directory /etc/airvpn and delete any lock and/or backup file you find there (do not delete other files as they are essential for Bluetit). Start Bluetit, connect to some VPN server, disconnect, shut down Bluetit and verify that the DNS setting have been restored properly.

Please feel free to keep us posted.
Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

This worked! As I'm no longer using bluetit I didn't bother starting and stopping it. I should probably set it back up though as it does run as a service which is nicer than using wg-quick as you have to enable it manually on startup. 

I followed the instructions and deleted /etc/resolv.conf and linked it from /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf and that solved the error I was getting. One thing that I noticed though is even though I changed it to 9.9.9.9, when I use cat on /etc/resolv.conf it has been changed to 10.128.0.1. I imagine that is a function of the config file I generated. When I disable the VPN and check it, it's back to 192.168.1.254 (my router) which seems to work fine. 

I'll see how this runs and if I'm still getting disconnects I'll open a support ticket. 

Also one other question, when you specify your config file to select a VPN based on continent, how does it decide which server to connect to? And does it switch between servers on its own based on connection quality? Mine connected to a server about 2700km away and the speeds were just awful so I ended up going back to my config that just had the one server I selected from before. 

Thank you for your help! 

*Edit*

I want to mention for anyone reading this looking for solutions, this solved my issue of name resolution, but did nothing to stop my connection drops. I'll be opening a support ticket for that and if it's alright with an admin maybe I can share the process on the forums for anyone else experiencing issues like mine. 

Edited ... by bloodpancake
Solution context