Not connected, Your IP: 18.219.81.43
Sign in to follow this  
toddest

Slow Download Speeds

Hello,

I am experiencing slow download speeds using usenet. I am behind a wwdrt router. However, when using USA Servers I am getting acceptable speeds at 800 k/s. When using anything but USA I only get 250 k/s. Is there anything I can do to tweak my settings?

using UDP, ports 53, 443 or 80.. No matter what I choose, still the same,

Thanks

Hello,

I am experiencing slow download speeds using usenet. I am behind a wwdrt router. However, when using USA Servers I am getting acceptable speeds at 800 k/s. When using anything but USA I only get 250 k/s. Is there anything I can do to tweak my settings?

using UDP, ports 53, 443 or 80.. No matter what I choose, still the same,

Thanks

Hello!

Apparently, with 800 KB/s == 6.4 Mbit/s, you're very near to the maximum AES-256 encrypted traffic throughput sustainable by a typical DD-WRT router CPU, so it should be fine.

The fact that you get lower performance from non-USA servers might be due to "worse" routing/peering between either your ISP and our non-USA servers or the newsgroups servers and our non-USA servers.

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply. When I connect with your airvpn client and bypass the wwdrt router I am getting 1500 k/s using Europe Servers. How is this possible? Wouldn't the routing act the same way?

Thanks for the reply. When I connect with your airvpn client and bypass the wwdrt router I am getting 1500 k/s using Europe Servers. How is this possible? Wouldn't the routing act the same way?

I see the same behavior using Tomato firmware on my router.

I'm seeing the same behavior using Tomato firmware on my router. I would love to increase the speed. Any ideas?

In my experience you need to increase the routers processing power. That's what I had to do. Went from a Linksys E2000 to a Dell GX620 loaded with x86 DDWRT.

24MBit line at home, but with the AirVPN client connected, speed tests max out around 10Mbit. Using several of the nearest servers.

How can I alleviate that? Is it my router (standard Uverse router/modem) that's at fault?

I've read the heavy encryption on AirVPN connections can be a cause of slow download speeds. :/

24MBit line at home, but with the AirVPN client connected, speed tests max out around 10Mbit. Using several of the nearest servers.

How can I alleviate that? Is it my router (standard Uverse router/modem) that's at fault?

I've read the heavy encryption on AirVPN connections can be a cause of slow download speeds. :/

Hello!

Do you connect from your router (with DD-WRT or OpenWRT or Tomato etc.) or from your computer?

In the first case, it's very likely that 10 Mbit/s is the maximum AES-256 throughput that the router CPU can handle (for encryption and decryption on the fly). In the second case, first try different ports, just in case your ISP caps bandwidth on some UDP ports ("port shaping", a not uncommon situation for ISPs which perform heavy overselling). We would recommend 80 TCP and 53 UDP.

Kind regards

I'm connecting using a router. I don

t even know how to go about using a PC for that purpose.

I will try your recommendations, and get back to you.

I'm connecting using a router. I don

t even know how to go about using a PC for that purpose.

I will try your recommendations, and get back to you.

Hello!

Please follow the instructions here: https://airvpn.org/enter (click on your system).

Kind regards