Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.228.135
Staff

Eddie Android edition 3.1 beta available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 3.1 beta 1 is now available, featuring a complete update of all libraries, enhanced TV support, a new quick setting panel tile, revamped VPN profile generation, connection control buttons on notification, specific Android 14 support and much more.

Eddie Android edition is a fully integrated with AirVPN, free and open source WireGuard and OpenVPN GUI client. It is based on official WireGuard library and latest OpenVPN3-AirVPN library (free and open source software library by AirVPN), allowing comfortable connections to both OpenVPN and WireGuard servers. All Android versions from 5.1 to 14 are supported.

To those who will decide testing: thank you so much! Remember to uninstall any previous Eddie version before side loading the new Eddie 3.1 beta version. Please report at your convenience any bug and problem in this thread. If possible generate a report from the app: by tapping the paper plane icon on the Log view bar rightmost side you will generate a full system report which will include both log and logcat and have it sent to our servers. Then you just need to send us the link the app shows you (open a ticket if you prefer to do it in private).

Please remember that Android TV has been stripped of the Always On VPN feature to prevent users from connecting to a VPN during an Android TV based system bootstrap. Therefore Eddie start & connection at bootstrap, as well as system built in leaks prevention, are not possible on Android TV 10 and higher versions. For leaks prevention you can rely on Eddie's "VPN Lock" feature. Android TV 9 and older versions can still start Eddie during the bootstrap and have it connected when you activate Always on VPN and configure Eddie accordingly.

Eddie 3.1 new features

Eddie Android 3.1.0 beta 1 (VC 31)

• Added support to Android 14
  • Updated to OpenVPN3 3.11 AirVPN (20240719)
  • Updated to OpenSSL 3.3.1
  • Updated to WireGuard 2e0774f
  • Updated to the latest AirVPN Suite specifications and functions
  • Added quick setting panel tile for quick connection and disconnection
  • Improved VPN profiles generation
  • Auto AirVPN user login at startup
  • Server score sort in AirVPN Server tab
  • Show and log connection statistics at disconnection
  • Added permission checking at startup according to user's settings
  • Added optional "quick tap" connection to AirVPN server tab
  • WireGuard handshaking timeout manager can be enabled or disabled by user
  • Added connection control buttons to notification
  • Improved Android TV D-Pad navigation, notably left and right arrow for opening and closing the menu drawer
  • Bug fixes and improvements

Download link

https://eddie.website/repository/Android/3.1.0-Beta1/EddieAndroid-3.1.0-beta1.apk

SHA-512 checksum

43bb8ba4697855e5ac3381a85e52cd3382ca72c25b4e0587f1067f881731c6d247103b659767c404fb12eca6a2dd3a871f74c407e47fa0be362fc82b5d8a4401 *EddieAndroid-3.1.0-beta1.apk

How to sideload Eddie Android edition on Android TV and FireOS devices

https://airvpn.org/android/eddie/apk/tv

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

Posted ... (edited)

Thanks, I was looking forward to this update.

Especially appreciate the auto login and quick settings panel tile

I've set a specific server country as default in the list.
However when I press the big quick connect button it connects to a different country.
But when I use the quick settings panel tile, it connects to my preferred default country correctly?

Edited ... by zsam288
Added question

So far so good (Android 14). The quick setting tile is very handy, thanks for adding it. It works as expected (connect/disconnect), so does login/connection at boot. Will report back later if I'm getting any issue.

58 minutes ago, Staff said:

What exactly is this feature? I couldn't find it anywhere in AirVPN server tab. Tapping any server will connect to said server.

16 hours ago, 183aTr78f9o said:
17 hours ago, Staff said:

What exactly is this feature? I couldn't find it anywhere in AirVPN server tab. Tapping any server will connect to said server. 

Hello!

In the previous 3.0 version you had to confirm the connection each time (after you tapped a server or selected "Connect" for some specific area following a long tap) on a dialog box. In 3.1, by default you don't have to confirm anymore. It is a community driven change. You can re-enable the confirmation dialog from the Settings.

Kind regards

6 minutes ago, Staff said:

Hello!

In the previous 3.0 version you had to confirm the connection each time (after you tapped a server or selected "Connect" for some specific area following a long tap) on a dialog box. In 3.1, by default you don't have to confirm anymore. It is a community driven change. You can re-enable the confirmation dialog from the Settings.

Kind regards

I see. Thanks for the details.

@Staff more often then not when using the quick panel tile, i get an error "you need to be logged in to airvpn..."
Then i need to open the app to trigger the auto-login, kind of beats the purpose of the tile?
I have enabled remember and automatic login in the app

Also its not connecting to my "default" or "favorite" server, it just automatically determines another best one

2 hours ago, zsam288 said:
@Staff more often then not when using the quick panel tile, i get an error "you need to be logged in to airvpn..."
Then i need to open the app to trigger the auto-login, kind of beats the purpose of the tile?
I have enabled remember and automatic login in the app

Also its not connecting to my "default" or "favorite" server, it just automatically determines another best one

Hello and thank you for your tests!

"Tile failure" when the app has not been launched since the device has bootstrapped is confirmed and it is now under investigation.

We have been failing to reproduce the other issue. Can you send us a report through the paper plane icon in the "Log" view? Please generate it after the problem has occurred. The report will also tell us your exact Android version, device etc., as well the exact settings of the app, each tile and app's activity, so it is instrumental to understand the issue. Thanks!

Side note: "default" servers are quite a different set from "favorite" servers. Connection during bootstrap may consult "Default" servers (according to the boot connection settings), while quick connection does not consult this set (but it must respect "favorite" and "forbidden" server lists). We'll consider to change "Default" label into something more descriptive and unambiguous.

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)
15 minutes ago, Staff said:

Hello and thank you for your tests!

"Tile failure" when the app has not been launched since the device has bootstrapped is confirmed and it is now under investigation.

We have been failing to reproduce the other issue. Can you send us a report through the paper plane icon in the "Log" view? Please generate it after the problem has occurred. The report will also tell us your exact Android version, device etc., as well the exact settings of the app, each tile and app's activity, so it is instrumental to understand the issue. Thanks!

Side note: "default" servers are quite a different set from "favorite" servers. Connection during bootstrap may consult "Default" servers (according to the boot connection settings), while quick connection does not consult this set (but it must respect "favorite" and "forbidden" server lists). We'll consider to change "Default" label into something more descriptive and unambiguous.

Kind regards

Thanks I've emailed to support the log file.

Edit:
Just recheck and see that I didn't put my server as favorite only as default.
I'm still not clear on the difference between default and favourite? Edited ... by zsam288

19 minutes ago, zsam288 said:

Just recheck and see that I didn't put my server as favorite only as default.
I'm still not clear on the difference between default and favourite?

Thank you! Eddie during system bootstrap may consult "Default" servers (according to the boot connection settings) to decide which server to connect to, while a "quick connection" (i.e. a connection initiated by tapping the big "on/off" button, or the button in the tile) does not consult this set but it considers "favorite" and "forbidden" server and country lists. We'll change "Default" label into something more descriptive and unambiguous.

Kind regards

I think I may have been having the same issues on a Firestick running basically Android 9.  Eddie 3.1 would ask for my master password (I set encrypted credentials in configurations) but then after entering it correctly the app would simply shut down.  FYI, I had set ONE local server as my default and as my favorite.  It was the one server for both to sort of force Eddie to pick that one server.  Eddie was set to auto mount when I booted the Firestick.  Not having the time to do the research I simply side loaded Eddie Android 3 back and all is good to go again.  In a week or so when I get a few days off I'll try 3.1 again and save some files to post here.  3.1 did actually connect but I couldn't navigate around because it would shut down.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm??

On 7/23/2024 at 10:46 PM, iwih2gk said:

Eddie 3.1 would ask for my master password (I set encrypted credentials in configurations) but then after entering it correctly the app would simply shut down.

Hello!

Thank you for your tests! We reproduce the problem and a fix is coming, you should see it on beta 2.

Kind regards