Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.191.169
Sign in to follow this  
5gwTTlidV

DNS Leak Windows

I ran the DNSleaktest and surprisingly I can see in the first box my ISP followed by Google results.

It is clearly my ISP has my ISP, Hostname, and Country? I search the forums this doesn't seem normal and I will do some basic debugging now.

I ran the DNSleaktest and surprisingly I can see in the first box my ISP followed by Google results.

It is clearly my ISP has my ISP, Hostname, and Country? I search the forums this doesn't seem normal and I will do some basic debugging now.

Hello!

DNS leaks are definitely possible with Windows. Please see here to secure your connection against any leak (including DNS leaks and leaks on case of unexpected VPN disconnection): https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142

Kind regards

Appreciate the feedback I had found and read that article before posting this but I had thought article is more focused on disconnect types of leakage.

The article does look a bit complicated for me and I have recently dumped Comodo Firewall as I wasn't too happy with it and have switched to TinyWall. I can see there is a tickbox to disable the windows DNS client maybe I will get back to tinkering with this issue I was hoping that paying for a service like this would have me protected without the extra effort is all

It looks like I have resolved my issue by switching my DNS servers to OpenDNS (instead of router gateway) along with using static settings instead of DHCP in my adapter. So I am a bit nervous now I may miss something else and/or need to keep checking this webtool.

This VPN so far is fast in my initial testing and looks good other then this issue which I don't think is AirVPN's fault but maybe some OpenVPN scripts could be created and DNS can be adjusted to and from when connecting / disconnecting.... I see the dnsleaktest site has some tool which does this logic but it didn't work for me.

Hello!

If you want to prevent only DNS leaks on Windows without firewall and without altering any other network configuration, a quick method is forcing your network card to use 10.4.0.1 as primary and 10.5.0.1 as alternate DNS server IP, once you're connected to an Air server.

Kind regards

I noticed on the website mentioned they provide scripts which automate this type of activity with openvpn scripts that autoexec before by switching adapters etc, then after connect flushes dns, and at disconnect switches back.

These scripts don't trigger with the Air VPN installer I may try adding them with an openvpn script as I see you have a nice tool to generate the config files.

Will post back if I have time to tinker my 3 days is almost up though and either way it looks like switching everythign to opendns has resolved my issue but if anyone has any ideas where to look or any tips to ensure nothing else is occuring I don't know about let me know