Not connected, Your IP: 3.16.51.137
astralmind

ANSWERED Timezone constant reset to wrong zone with local servers

This has just started to happen recently but my time zone in Win10 gets changes to Mountain time (PST) while I am in EST (in reality as well as connected to servers in EST zones) through Eddie. When Eddie is disconnected, no issues but as soon as I connect to one of the Montreal servers (Ross or Lacerta) it gets moved to PST. Testing other EST servers (Canada and US) and it looks ok for now. It could be only related to the Mtl servers. I've been using AirVPN for years always connecting on those servers and that's a first.

Any thoughts ?

17 hours ago, astralmind said:

This has just started to happen recently but my time zone in Win10 gets changes to Mountain time (PST) while I am in EST (in reality as well as connected to servers in EST zones) through Eddie. When Eddie is disconnected, no issues but as soon as I connect to one of the Montreal servers (Ross or Lacerta) it gets moved to PST. Testing other EST servers (Canada and US) and it looks ok for now. It could be only related to the Mtl servers. I've been using AirVPN for years always connecting on those servers and that's a first.

Any thoughts ?

Hello!

Windows can be configured to set time zone automatically according to the presumed location of the device. One of the factors to determine the location is the geo-location of "your" public IP address, which may be correct or wrong. The feature was added in November 2022 and has been repeatedly reported as buggy or not working at all in Microsoft support forums. The configuration can be managed in Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time.

Kind regards

Much appreciated. I get this is not a Windows support forum so I'm not expecting anything else but the Time Zone Toggle (Set Zone automatically) is greyed out as is the Time Zone drop box. I have to go through the related sub settings to get to an alternate control panel to set it back to the right zone and eventually (it might have taken an hour) it'll slip back to PST time zone vs EST as it should, even with the Set time zone automatically option set to off. It appears to only be a problem with the VPN turned on. Clearly a limited problem as no none else is bringing it up so... I'm the problem hehe

That did it for me in case someone ever stumble on this: 

1). Open the Settings App, then go to Privacy and Security - Location
2). Ensure you have that setting so Location Services are enabled and apps can read your location.

If the location setting is already on, try turning it off and on again.

If it doesn't work, try disabling the Auto Time Zone Updater” service and enabling it.

1). Right-click Start, and click Run.
2). Type services.msc and click OK.
3). Double-click on the “Auto Time Zone Updater” service
4). Set the service start type to “Disabled.”
5). Exit the Services console.
6). The “Auto Time Zone Updater” service, when disabled, the manual time zone dropdown control is enabled automatically.

4 hours ago, astralmind said:

2). Ensure you have that setting so Location Services are enabled and apps can read your location.

Hello!

By enabling Location Services your device sends location information (including wireless access point information, cellular tower information, and precise GPS location if available) to Microsoft. It will also allow apps to use their device’s location and location history to deliver location-aware services and disclose your location to third-party entities. Frequently, this behavior is exactly what must be avoided when connected to a VPN for privacy purposes. It may weaken significantly the anonymity layer.

Kind regards

Apologies, copy pasted the 'solution' and I should have kept it to the second part, what did it for me was the disabling of Auto Time Zone updater via services.msc